Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
i, like most of you, have been indoctrinated into the belief that suicide is awful, sinful, wicked, etc. I want to override that indoctrination with the opposing viewpoint

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, ninaevol, mattwitt and 4 others
T

TheSternal

Aug 28, 2018
If you look up online there are sites stating that in certain situations suicide was common for Japanese, but usually in times of war. Sepukku, kamikaze and banzai charges (human wave attacks during WW2). I'd recommemd looking up different philosophies that are okay with suicide if you want to put your mind at ease.

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989, lv-gras and Tiburcio
A

Amy Ulrich

Jul 15, 2018
Most people have not been indoctronated as you say, but rather, just indoctrinated that it is okay to torture people who are suicidal by preventing them physically as a stranger or by putting them to malicious incarceration. But whoever says it is "evil" or "makes you bad" is uncommon and not many people would ever say that...

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackDragonof1989
Squidward

Squidward

This is as brave as I know how to be...
Apr 18, 2018
I'm not sure that's the right direction. Suicide is tolerated in Japan largely because the individual is of little to no importance in comparison to the community/family.

Allot of the times it's not about respecting an individuals right to make a choice for themselves but rather obliging the weird or non-contributing individuals to do their community a favor.

Doesn't seem like a great alternative imo.

Reactions: skitliv, satou and BlackDragonof1989
Justanotherconsumer

Justanotherconsumer

Paragon
Jul 9, 2018
"Death before dishonor" springs to mind, if someone is relegated to the bottom of the food chain usually by legal means, your making that person worthless in society.

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989 and Smilla
Nonexistence

Nonexistence

Aug 12, 2018
Soooo many tall buildings to jump from in Japan. Wish I lived in one there or lived right next to one.

bigj75

bigj75

“From Knowledge springs power."
Sep 1, 2018
"Death before dishonor" springs to mind, if someone is relegated to the bottom of the food chain usually by legal means, your making that person worthless in society.
This!

Death is better than letting people get to the point of dishonor.

Reactions: Justanotherconsumer
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
i, like most of you, have been indoctrinated into the belief that suicide is awful, sinful, wicked, etc. I want to override that indoctrination with the opposing viewpoint

We could talk about about suicide in front of audiences in Rome that was seen as entertainment an honorable or a million other things. The opposite of your life belonging to God is your life belonging to self or no one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_suicide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_suicide