B

Bigyeah

Jul 18, 2020
As I know with current laws in place Canadians can only access MAID (medical assistance in dying), if they have an underlying terminal Illness. Does anyone know of a group or person who is able to discreetly help one with assisted suicide? Looking for resources/contacts within Canada, more specifically Ontario.

I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
What's your illness?
Do you fit the criteria for the new bill.

B

Bigyeah

Jul 18, 2020
What's your illness?
Do you fit the criteria for the new bill.
Mental health related only, so unfortunately I don't meet the criteria needed in Canada. The suffering doesn't let up, which is why I've engaged here in SS.

S

sephlove

Nov 22, 2020
From the website: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/medical-assistance-dying.html#grievous

"About mental illness and physical disability
If you have a mental illness or a physical disability and wish to seek medical assistance in dying, you may be eligible. Eligibility is assessed on an individual basis, looking at all of the relevant circumstances. However, you must meet all the criteria to be eligible for medical assistance in dying, which means:

• your natural death must be foreseeable in a period of time that is not too distant
  • you must be mentally competent and capable of making decisions at the time of your request
  • you must also be mentally competent and capable of making decisions immediately before medical assistance in dying is provided
    • the physician or nurse practitioner must ask you to confirm your choice before administering the service
You can withdraw your consent at any time and in any manner."

However, I am not sure what doctors and clinics are open to this. As I know my family doctor is against assisted suicide and would not be of much help in this process. It's good to find someone who will. Let me know if you find someone in ontario.