ForSale?

ForSale?

Clearance Sale: 100% Off
Jun 8, 2020
I love history but I'm not entirely sure why. Anyone else love history on here?

• Hugs
Reactions: Fml, Maravillosa, Sensei and 7 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Not history as such, but I used to be an archaeologist and studied geology too. My academic interest was in British prehistory.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae, Circles, FriendofDeath and 5 others
waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
I have an interest in history as well.

Reactions: Circles, Epsilon0, Brick In The Wall and 1 other person
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
Yes I'm always on Wikipedia reading!

Reactions: Kikoo Loool, Sensei, Circles and 2 others
waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
What kind of things do you like to read on Wikipedia?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensei and Circles
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
What kind of things do you like to read on Wikipedia?
Oh random things mostly about people in history. I am autistic so I like numbers. It's weird I like to look up when and where a particular person was born and when they died.

Reactions: Kikoo Loool, Maravillosa, Sensei and 3 others
Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Господи помилуй — мир в Україні!
Sep 7, 2018
Oh yes! I like to read biographies and historical fiction. I have also written ~60K words of the first draft of an alternate history novel: I am currently attempting rewrites and revisions.

• Love
Reactions: mediocre, Kikoo Loool, Sensei and 4 others
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
Oh yes! I like to read biographies and historical fiction. I have also written ~60K words of the first draft of an alternate history novel: I am currently attempting rewrites and revisions.
That sounds very cool. What history have you rewritten?

I really enjoy documentaries, historical accounts and the like. Been doing quite a bit of research so I can rewrite a novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).

Reactions: Maravillosa, Sensei and Circles
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
Yes, I love reading about history. it's a really interesting topic and I feel like I could spend days reading and watching content about any time period in history.

Reactions: Maravillosa, Sensei, Circles and 1 other person
mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
I'm very interested in history. Particularly ancient greece and rome but also medieval period.

Reactions: Kikoo Loool, Sensei, Circles and 1 other person
Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Господи помилуй — мир в Україні!
Sep 7, 2018
That sounds very cool. What history have you rewritten?

I really enjoy documentaries, historical accounts and the like. Been doing quite a bit of research so I can rewrite a novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).

My alternate history novel is set in the world of British politics from 1912 to 1948. The protagonist is Venetia Stanley, the petite amie of Prime Minister H. H. Asquith. (Venetia was 35 years Asquith's junior and the best friend of Asquith's daughter Violet.) Here is an excerpt from my work in progress: I will need to work on it some more, however. I see my work in progress as my version of Downton Abbey, with influence from the #MeToo movement and with added ctb.

I have participated (and won) NaNoWriMo five times, but I have not participated in NaNoWriMo for the past several years.

Reactions: Sensei and Circles
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
My alternate history novel is set in the world of British politics from 1912 to 1948. The protagonist is Venetia Stanley, the petite amie of Prime Minister H. H. Asquith. (Venetia was 35 years Asquith's junior and the best friend of Asquith's daughter Violet.) Here is an excerpt from my work in progress: I will need to work on it some more, however. I see my work in progress as my version of Downton Abbey, with influence from the #MeToo movement and with added ctb.

I have participated (and won) NaNoWriMo five times, but I have not participated in NaNoWriMo for the past several years.
Someone who knows what NaNoWriMo means! Last year you were encouraged to use time travel. My initial plan was to have a character that was Queen Mary's secret child, so I read tons about that time period. But it's changed again. I haven't even read what I wrote.

I read your chapter. Good stuff! I'm not real familiar with that time period, so I'll probably do some research to put it in perspective. Got to know a lot of characters in just a few thousand words - even cared about some and we didn't officially meet them in that chapter part. Has me wondering what happens next.

Reactions: Maravillosa and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Yes, passionately. I'm interested in several time periods and all aspects of history, and I've had two popular history books published by a major publishing house in my country.

• Love
Reactions: FriendofDeath, Maravillosa and Fragile
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
Yes, passionately. I'm interested in several time periods and all aspects of history, and I've had two popular history books published by a major publishing house in my country.
That's awesome! Congrats! What are some of your favorite time periods? I was not into history while in school, but I taught American History and really got into it. I've considered trying to do some historical educational pieces around the state that could be used by teachers.

Reactions: Maravillosa
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
Yes although I'm no history major and I don't consider myself an expert at it by any stretch of the word. Cultural history and the history of philosophy are of special interest to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skathon and Maravillosa
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
That's awesome! Congrats! What are some of your favorite time periods?

The dawn of mankind, the cradles of civilization, the Roman Empire, the Middle Ages, Feudal Japan, and the 20th century. (Obviously, not all of these are historical time periods, but you get the picture.)

I was not into history while in school, but I taught American History and really got into it. I've considered trying to do some historical educational pieces around the state that could be used by teachers.

I'm actually a teacher, but ironically not a history teacher.

Reactions: Maravillosa
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
The dawn of mankind, the cradles of civilization, the Roman Empire, the Middle Ages, Feudal Japan, and the 20th century. (Obviously, not all of these are historical time periods, but you get the picture.)

So, you're just interested in a few areas,huh? Ha! I hear that. I worked with a middle school teacher who taught about Egypt. He would "demonstrate" how they made mummies. That's a period of time I find interesting. Like the Roman Empire, too. A long time ago I had a dream where it appeared I was male with dark curly hair and my name was Agrippa. That was wild! Wish I dreamed like that now.

I'm actually a teacher, but ironically not a history teacher.
What kind of teacher? I taught Special Ed, so I had all subjects. Taught middle school and elementary.

Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
What kind of teacher? I taught Special Ed, so I had all subjects. Taught middle school and elementary.

I'm an upper secondary school/senior high school teacher, and my subjects are English and my native language. Interesintlgy, I work with special education too, and next year it will constitute the lion's share of my job. I'm the only teacher in my school who actively applies for working with these pupils. It's unexpected to find a another spec ed teacher who's a history buff here. :)

Reactions: FriendofDeath
Fml

Fml

Girl, interrupted
Aug 24, 2019
I love history but I'm not entirely sure why. Anyone else love history on here?

Yes, I certainly do!

I'm into Ancient Egypt,The Middle Ages, World War 2 and I find certain things in history fascinating. For example: the Jack the ripper case, how could a person get away with that many murders for so long!? The Titanic is another one, the Elephant man, the Holocaust, etc. I believe knowing about history helps us to not make the same mistakes again which is good. The sinking of the Titanic you could say was a mistake but the Holocaust certainly wasn't, what an absolutely horrific and evil event that was, may it never occur again!

Reactions: FriendofDeath and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Yes, I certainly do!

I'm into Ancient Egypt,The Middle Ages, World War 2 and I find certain things in history fascinating. For example: the Jack the ripper case, how could a person get away with that many murders for so long!? The Titanic is another one, the Elephant man, the Holocaust, etc. I believe knowing about history helps us to not make the same mistakes again which is good. The sinking of the Titanic you could say was a mistake but the Holocaust certainly wasn't, what an absolutely horrific and evil event that was, may it never occur again!

Re: Jack the Ripper, I recommend the site Casebook: Jack the Ripper, if you haven't seen it already. You can spend many hours and get many nightmares there. They currently list and discuss 31 (!) suspects. With the risk of derailing the thread and appearing to be some kind of expert (I'm not), I must ask, who's your prime suspect?

FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
Re: Jack the Ripper, I recommend the site Casebook: Jack the Ripper, if you haven't seen it already. You can spend many hours and get many nightmares there. They currently list and discuss 31 (!) suspects. With the risk of derailing the thread and appearing to be some kind of expert (I'm not), I must ask, who's your prime suspect?
Here I go...something else I find interesting!

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
I like history and I also like alternative history if that counts?

Reactions: Sensei and FriendofDeath
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
Absolutely counts, well, at least in my opinion. Most of us know how one thing changing can make a difference in all the things that happen thereafter, so it certainly is interesting. Man in the High Castle was the last thing I saw, I think, with different history. Sometimes I wonder though if the change is just a snafu and then things go back on track. Guess all this information and all the questions are part of why I don't find history boring anymore! I read some steam punk that was really good - it was an alternate history, too.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I did a minor in Asian history, and later taught the history of rock & roll. I'd rather read history than fiction, although my areas of interest are pretty scattered and dilettantish. High-charisma areas like Egyptology, British pre-history (shout out to @Underscore!), natural history, the history of ideas (eg the history of history) - that ilk of thing.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465, Sensei and FriendofDeath
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
I did a minor in Asian history, and later taught the history of rock & roll. I'd rather read history than fiction, although my areas of interest are pretty scattered and dilettantish. High-charisma areas like Egyptology, British pre-history (shout out to @Underscore!), natural history, the history of ideas (eg the history of history) - that ilk of thing.
History of Rock and Roll was one of the most popular courses where I used to work, but it wasn't an easy class!

Reactions: Sensei and Soul
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I like history and I also like alternative history if that counts?

I think it does. I really love The Man in the High Castle and Fatherland (the novels). There's actually also a field of research in history called counterfactual history. Many historians seem to frown upon it a little, but it's a thing. There are plenty of good What If? collections of essays by professional historians well worth reading.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist and FriendofDeath
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It's only the history of rock n'roll but I like it! And the history of history sounds cool too. I was thinking earlier, the study of history is like the archaeology of stories about actual events. It's all open to interpretation.

• Love
Reactions: Soul and FriendofDeath