L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I have my section 2 tribunal on Monday. I have had one before and it is basically a lot of reports get written about you by people who don't know you. Because they are 'professionals' in the mental health industry as I have begun to see it, their words carry more weight than yours.

I have a lawyer but unfortunately while I thought she was good on the phone I've realised she is not actually any good, but too late to change her.

Does anyone have any tips for what to say? I have listed below the things I want to say and the things that I wish I could say but I can't say because they won't help me. They will give me the reports maybe 30 mins before my tribunal and the reports will be full of shit the doctor has written. I will have to stay calm and not be upset or they will say it is mental illness. This really pisses me off - thank you for reading and any advice on staying calm

What I want to say:

I was sectioned when on drugs and it was not a manic relapse. I feel much calmer off the drugs and realise they are detrimental to my behaviour and mental wellbeing so am going to go into active recovery when I leave hospital.
I feel calm and centered (this is actually true at the moment)
I want to re-enter the community to begin my recovery and also to return to the gym which I had started attending and to study

What I can't say:

Mental illness is an industry and the main people it benefits are the people getting paid by the industry
I don't think being sectioned benefits anyone - I mean the research says it benefits 50%
All these people writing reports on me don't know me so how can they judge me and my life
FUCK you all. I'm sick of being treated like a dog/child that has to abide by all these stupid rules on a ward just because I am disabled.
They won't even let me go on a 15 minute walk with a nurse cos they found drugs on me - but psych ward is not meant to be because people are drug users

Reactions: GoatHerder and Tesha
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
I would suggest you link into organisations that deal with substance abuse now - so you can demonstrate you're committed to getting external help. Even seeing if you can join any online NA meetings while still under section would be good.

They know being in hospital is traumatic, so it's actually ok to say the hospital environment isn't beneficial and is preventing you from fully recovering.

Do you have any other support networks you can talk about / bring in to support your case?

I'll have another think later, when I get a bit more time. Sorry you're in this situation..

• Love
Reactions: LittleJem
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Thank you so much - that is very helpful.

best wishes, J
The reality is that I cannot wait to get trashed when I am out of here!