orpheus_

orpheus_

Apr 26, 2024
As colder months approach, I'm scared all of the minimal progress I've made with recovery will disappear. Since I can remember, I've hated fall and winter. I just feel so much more tired, more depressed then. I have depression all year round but in those months it gets worse, like another problem just stacks on top of another, you know.
I'm really scared things will get bad again. Everything just started to go a bit better for me. I'm actually able to get out of bed for more than half of the day, not thinking about CTB all the time (just HALF of the time which is much less!), but I can feel that as the weather is getting colder, I'm starting to feel worse again. This feels so counterintuitive, but I can't help it, and it has been a reocurring pattern for many years of my life.

Do you have any advice on dealing with, specifically, feeling worse during fall/winter?

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Somethingswrong
Somethingswrong

Somethingswrong

Sep 28, 2024
I suffer with seasonal depression so I know all to well how you feel. All my ctb attempts were in winter, I feel that staying busy helps a lot, keeping the mind occupied Ya'know? When I'm not cleaning or trying to get my cat out of her napping place I watch videos, specifically funny and uplifting ones, listen to uplifting and funny music or play games. Just keep your mind on the good times don't forget to open your curtains or blinds and let that healing sun in. When it's really bad I sit in nature specifically in the sun and feel the warmth from it and feel it healing my soul and my wounds. Don't force a smile like people say the little things matter so much. I have really low expectations so when I meet them I get happy maybe set some goals for the day that are simple. It's helps me and idk if it'll help you, can't hurt to try tho.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, vanillamilkshakes and orpheus_
amnesia999

amnesia999

Lie, lie, lie - Life is a lie
Jun 30, 2024
The first thing that usually comes up when dealing with seasonal affective disorder are lights, like these, that mimic sunlight. (The link goes to a list of recommendations as to which to buy.) Now that LEDs are getting more powerful, the lights aren't as boxy as they used to be.

• Love
Reactions: orpheus_ and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Have you considered relocating to a different country - moving to a place where it's warm and sunny all year long? This is probably the only real cure for seasonal depression.

Reactions: amnesia999
orpheus_

orpheus_

Apr 26, 2024
Have you considered relocating to a different country - moving to a place where it's warm and sunny all year long? This is probably the only real cure for seasonal depression.
unfortunately I can't afford it and have no energy for moving. But thanks for the suggestion. Maybe in the far future, if I make it...