J

JJ53

Aug 19, 2024
Hey all, I am just after some tips to deal with anxiety. Every time I leave my house, I feel nauseous and shaky, and my stomach hurts. I'm currently on an SSRI, and I am hoping that it kicks in soon. In the meantime, I'm just feeling scared. I'm currently waiting in the dentist office, and it took all of my energy to get myself up, drive here, and check in at the front desk. I can't wait to get home, put my pyjamas on, and cuddle with my dog.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dai
D

Dai

Aug 15, 2024
The only thing that helps me are Benzos. Have you tried them before? If not, you should definitely ask your Dr about some. To me they're like a miracle drug for anxiety tbh, but they can be addictive if you're not careful

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JJ53
_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
I'm sorry you're dealing with anxiety also. Small things that are helpful for me when going out are noise cancelling headphones and small fidgets. The headphones help by reducing the noises that I'm responding to. In general they help me feel more relaxed when going out. Admittedly, there is an adjustment to using them as they can also feel isolating and awkward.

When I last went to the dentist (a couple weeks ago) I used a spikey ring. They're small and discreet. They give a sharp, but not painful sensation on the finger. They're basically a spring in a ring shape. I find them to be a good distraction at times like that.

I try to develop a tool box of small tools like that which have been helpful in the past. I have a travel toiletries pouch that I use to store these kinds of things that help in different ways - this includes things like scents I like or basic things like lip balm. I find having that on hand when I go out helps knowing I have various things I can go to, if needed.

Some time ago I started Buspar, which I've found to be helpful for anxiety. If you're trying medication already, perhaps it may be helpful.
The only thing that helps me are Benzos. Have you tried them before? If not, you should definitely ask your Dr about some. To me they're like a miracle drug for anxiety tbh, but they can be addictive if you're not careful
I second benzos. Sadly, in my region they're controlled and rarely prescribed anymore. I had access to Valium in the past. I miss it.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: JJ53 and Dai
FlufflesAway

FlufflesAway

Jul 31, 2024
\o/ anxious wreck friends.

I'm sorry, I don't have any nice answers. I'm on antidepressants and an antiepiletic now. The addition of the antiepiletic seems to help massively, but I'm going to assume everyone's anxiety's and body's needs are different. You learn to power through it. It's not something that gets 'easier' with exposure, you just get more numb. People get confused... they say "oh, you can do this now. That's an improvement." Not how it feels. It feels worse, fuck off.

• Love
Reactions: JJ53