SuicideBoys93

SuicideBoys93

I am the lord of loneliness.
Feb 10, 2020
Today was the big one. I was on the way to the way to the grocery store, and it hit me like a mack truck. I'm worried because they have become a major problem as of late.. Stage one tends to start out as lump in my throat I'm trying to clear. This is when have my here we go moment knowing what's coming. Second the heart palpitations through the roof. Can feel my pulse in my throat... At this point I'm panicking because I'm convinced my throat is closing up. I started to sweat which is a new symptom I had to today. I usually just get everything I mentioned above, and add the shaking hands with feeling light headed. Every attack is a mystery for me because I'm doing normal routine, and don't ever understand what triggers my attacks.. I think the car added to the severity of the attack because I felt like I was trapped being that we were driving. Got to the grocery store, and had to stay in the car while my wife went inside. The attack had to of lasted about an hour. I do the whole exercise, and try to eat well but wanted to ask what anyone does that suffers from panic attacks?Whether it be natural, or medications. With medications, how do they help, or don't help you? I've tried to steer clear of medication, but after today I'm scheduling an appointment. I can't sit around and have these get any worse than today... :(

• Aww..
Reactions: puppy9, Bct and faust
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
I am sorry you have all these outbursts. I suffered from panic attacks a while back. Just like in your case they were coming out of nowhere. If I have them, I know how to deal with them and they usually disappear shortly. Concerning medication, I was using Xanax, however, I took it more from anxiety than panic attacks. Panic attacks are short-lasting for me.
I can give you some tips how to cope with them.
1) Never increase your breathe rate. Even if you feel that you have a shortness of breathe, just don't. The faster you breathe, the worse you feel. Your panic attacks are fed with your dizziness caused by hyperventilation. Slow down your breathe intentionally to the level when you are already in bed and trying to fall asleep. Can be very slow but deep breathes.
2) Try to convince yourself that right now nothing will happen. It is true because the only one thing which is wrong right now is high adrenaline level. You are not going to die, your heart will not implode. There is no danger for your health and life.
3) Instead of running from panic attacks, you can try to accept them in body. Well, this is hard to explain, but you can try to make the panic attack stronger. Cmon, just give me some more! Is that everything? If you are ready to accept it right now, panic attack does not like it and it causes you less discomfort. Panic attack likes when you are afraid of it, it is getting stronger because your thoughts add some fuel to the adrenaline rush. Sounds crazy but it works for me.
4) Enjoy the rhythm! If you have a hard surface near you, just slap it like you are teaching a young musician to play with the same speed. Like it is a metronome or you are doing a beat. Meanwhile relax the rest of your body. It is more efficient than when you are trying to run away or start moving chaotically. This will distract your body, it will think you are doing something "to save your life" (panic attacks were something like run and survive for people thousands of years ago). Biologically panic attack is a huge amount of energy necessary to save your life, do not be afraid to use it.
5) Caffeine and other long-lasting substances are a good trigger of panic attacks. Be careful with them and if you drink coffee, tea, energy drink, find the safe dose. The worst panic attacks are due to caffeine. THC can easily trigger too, if you smoke weed, find the safe amount. Nicotine? Not a big issue, nicotine high is short.
6) Meds. Find something fast-acting like Xanax. Take it a few minutes after PA started. Most likely you will learn to deal with PA yourself, but just in case you can always take it. Won't make it worse anyway. But not every day, only when you really need it, always try to cope on your own. You will learn then soon and PA won't be a big issue.
P.S. Adding to the first one, if you feel you do not have enough air, like when you are holding your breathe, this is okay. It will never be enough air even if you breathe really fast. So just take it as it is. Yes, that's a great discomfort, but you are still getting enough air despite how you feel about it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SuicideBoys93
SuicideBoys93

SuicideBoys93

Feb 10, 2020
I am sorry you have all these outbursts. I suffered from panic attacks a while back. Just like in your case they were coming out of nowhere. If I have them, I know how to deal with them and they usually disappear shortly. Concerning medication, I was using Xanax, however, I took it more from anxiety than panic attacks. Panic attacks are short-lasting for me.
I can give you some tips how to cope with them.
1) Never increase your breathe rate. Even if you feel that you have a shortness of breathe, just don't. The faster you breathe, the worse you feel. Your panic attacks are fed with your dizziness caused by hyperventilation. Slow down your breathe intentionally to the level when you are already in bed and trying to fall asleep. Can be very slow but deep breathes.
2) Try to convince yourself that right now nothing will happen. It is true because the only one thing which is wrong right now is high adrenaline level. You are not going to die, your heart will not implode. There is no danger for your health and life.
3) Instead of running from panic attacks, you can try to accept them in body. Well, this is hard to explain, but you can try to make the panic attack stronger. Cmon, just give me some more! Is that everything? If you are ready to accept it right now, panic attack does not like it and it causes you less discomfort. Panic attack likes when you are afraid of it, it is getting stronger because your thoughts add some fuel to the adrenaline rush. Sounds crazy but it works for me.
4) Enjoy the rhythm! If you have a hard surface near you, just slap it like you are teaching a young musician to play with the same speed. Like it is a metronome or you are doing a beat. Meanwhile relax the rest of your body. It is more efficient than when you are trying to run away or start moving chaotically. This will distract your body, it will think you are doing something "to save your life" (panic attacks were something like run and survive for people thousands of years ago). Biologically panic attack is a huge amount of energy necessary to save your life, do not be afraid to use it.
5) Caffeine and other long-lasting substances are a good trigger of panic attacks. Be careful with them and if you drink coffee, tea, energy drink, find the safe dose. The worst panic attacks are due to caffeine. THC can easily trigger too, if you smoke weed, find the safe amount. Nicotine? Not a big issue, nicotine high is short.
6) Meds. Find something fast-acting like Xanax. Take it a few minutes after PA started. Most likely you will learn to deal with PA yourself, but just in case you can always take it. Won't make it worse anyway. But not every day, only when you really need it, always try to cope on your own. You will learn then soon and PA won't be a big issue.
P.S. Adding to the first one, if you feel you do not have enough air, like when you are holding your breathe, this is okay. It will never be enough air even if you breathe really fast. So just take it as it is. Yes, that's a great discomfort, but you are still getting enough air despite how you feel about it.

Thank you soooooo much. I really appreciate your input!

• Hugs
Reactions: faust
A

AnxietyAttack44

I just wanna go to my husband already.
Jun 5, 2020
I get them often too. I hope youre not mixing them up with silent heart attacks. I have both arrythmia and panic attacks so at times im not sure wich one is hitting me. Anxiety is usualy shorter.

I just controll my breathing and start repeating my mantra that "everything will be ok, and nothing really matters, we will all die, and all the pain will be gone, just endure a little bit longer".

It usualy helps

Bct

Bct

Disqualified from Being Human
Apr 20, 2020
Sorry about what happened to you, that must be really hard. When anxiety attacks me, my chest becomes too tight & sometimes it hurts around the heart area, which is nothing compared to yours. Sorry I don't have anything to say that probably able to help you.

SuicideBoys93

SuicideBoys93

Feb 10, 2020
Sorry about what happened to you, that must be really hard. When anxiety attacks me, my chest becomes too tight & sometimes it hurts around the heart area, which is nothing compared to yours. Sorry I don't have anything to say that probably able to help you.

Interesting you say that. A few years back I was diagnosed with wpw where I had to have a cardiac ablation done. I did have a cardiac echo done this year where everything checked out normal. I had to drive to out of state back home for a few days. I'm lying if I didn't say I was on edge hoping I didn't worry myself in another attack. First starting out driving I felt one coming on, and immediately pulled over to go walk around in a rest area. I honestly contemplated turning around and go home. I told myself if allow this win I'll never feel comfortable in the car again. Crazy how anxious I've become over time. I did finish the 6hr car ride back home to see family. Thankfully with Ohio being a legal medical marijuana state my family members have been able to help me out. Have not had one attack with the use of marijuana. I think the trick is don't get super high where you may make yourself paranoid. I've been able to find the right amount every night to take the edge off, and help me sleep. Thank you everyone for your input.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bct
Bct

Bct

Disqualified from Being Human
Apr 20, 2020
Interesting you say that. A few years back I was diagnosed with wpw where I had to have a cardiac ablation done. I did have a cardiac echo done this year where everything checked out normal. I had to drive to out of state back home for a few days. I'm lying if I didn't say I was on edge hoping I didn't worry myself in another attack. First starting out driving I felt one coming on, and immediately pulled over to go walk around in a rest area. I honestly contemplated turning around and go home. I told myself if allow this win I'll never feel comfortable in the car again. Crazy how anxious I've become over time. I did finish the 6hr car ride back home to see family. Thankfully with Ohio being a legal medical marijuana state my family members have been able to help me out. Have not had one attack with the use of marijuana. I think the trick is don't get super high where you may make yourself paranoid. I've been able to find the right amount every night to take the edge off, and help me sleep. Thank you everyone for your input.

Wow that was a horrible experience. Glad you can use marijuana legally and it's able to help to help you. :heart: