ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
Recently engaged on the study of antipsychiatry movement through The Myth of Mental Ilness by Thomas Szazs. I'm quite interested on the subject, since I've always questioned myself, as a so called mental ill person, if my diagnose was indeed a disease.

I enjoyed the reading, although I might say it was not sufficient to cease my curiosity and doubts on the matter.

I'd appreciate if someone could recommend me some reading materials on the subject, either from the same author, or another one.

Thanks.

Reactions: Fragile, Élégie, silent staring void and 1 other person
S

silent staring void

Student
Jan 22, 2020
I read Cracked by James Davies a while ago, I can recommend it. It was my first introduction to the topic and a big deal for me back then.
Also I started reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker but I stopped because I thought the way it was written was really manipulative.

• Love
Reactions: ecmnesia
chrisbate7

chrisbate7

Student
Sep 30, 2020
Recently engaged on the study of antipsychiatry movement through The Myth of Mental Ilness by Thomas Szazs. I'm quite interested on the subject, since I've always questioned myself, as a so called mental ill person, if my diagnose was indeed a disease.

I enjoyed the reading, although I might say it was not sufficient to cease my curiosity and doubts on the matter.

I'd appreciate if someone could recommend me some reading materials on the subject, either from the same author, or another one.

Thanks.
Anatomy of an Epidemic is really good I thought. Couldn't stop reading it. That book is also why I won't take antidepressants or antipsychotics

• Love
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
Anatomy of an Epidemic is really good I thought. Couldn't stop reading it. That book is also why I won't take antidepressants or antipsychotics
I'd rather be depressed and apathetic than back on SSRI's.

Reactions: Fragile, ecmnesia, chrisbate7 and 1 other person
ecmnesia

ecmnesia

Aug 30, 2020
I'd rather be depressed and apathetic than back on SSRI's.
no words can describe how much I regret getting into them. wouldn't recommend for anyone.

• Love
Reactions: Fragile and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
no words can describe how much I regret getting into them. wouldn't recommend for anyone.

I was on them for roughly two years, and both years are in a blur. I slept a lot back then, though.

• Hugs
ecmnesia

ecmnesia

Aug 30, 2020
I was on them for roughly two years, and both years are in a blur. I slept a lot back then, though.
how did you get off them? quitting sertraline was hard, but I've been trying to get off venlafaxine and honestly I'm experiencing another level of hell.

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
how did you get off them? quitting sertraline was hard, but I've been trying to get off venlafaxine and honestly I'm experiencing another level of hell.
I was on Fluvoxamine, but I was addicted to benzos and getting off benzos was harder. I tapered them off slowly, and I remember it wasn't pleasant, but I have been off of them for years so I do not remember all the details.