x_LittleAmy_x

x_LittleAmy_x

Student
Mar 18, 2021
I've tried escitalopram but that isn't having an effect. I've been on it for about 2 months.
Does anybody else have experience with antidepressants and what the best ones are please?

orlandom

orlandom

Mage
Mar 4, 2021
I've tried escitalopram but that isn't having an effect. I've been on it for about 2 months.
Does anybody else have experience with antidepressants and what the best ones are please?
There is experience. There are no better ones. There are worse ones. I do not recommend taking antidepressants. I know what I'm talking about.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Fin, EmptyManForever and WatermelonMel
x_LittleAmy_x

x_LittleAmy_x

Student
Mar 18, 2021
There is experience. There are no better ones. There are worse ones. I do not recommend taking antidepressants. I know what I'm talking about.
ok, could you perhaps expand on that?

kovkay

kovkay

Experienced
Jun 29, 2020
Any medication, supplementation, drug by itself won't cure depression. You need to accompany it with a change in behaviour.

• Hmph!
  • Love
Reactions: PoofLoop:P, Fin, UseItOrLoseIt and 2 others
Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
Depending on the country you live in there is usually some sort of protocol for the order in which you try antidepressants. This order is based on the severity of possible side effects. So you start of with medications that have little side effects, and when this doesn't work you try one with possibly more effects, but also more side effects.

For me this has been:
1. SSRI (escitolapram)
2. SSRI (fluoxetine)
3. SNRI (venlafaxine)
4. A-typical antidepressant (bupropion)
5. TCA (nortriptyline)
6. TCA (nortriltyline) + lithium

and now I'm getting of nortrilen&lithium so I can try the next one:
7. MAO-inhibitor (parnate)

So there are many different types of AD's to try, and per class there are many different brands.

The conclusion here is that for me none have worked so far. Prepare for a long, long process of finding something that works. Or possibly never find anything. Sorry, not very optimistic.

Reactions: Lucien
orlandom

orlandom

Mage
Mar 4, 2021
You have to pay dearly with side effects.

Nothing works. Don't try it. Dot.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Fin
x_LittleAmy_x

x_LittleAmy_x

Student
Mar 18, 2021
Maybe you should raise the dose. Escitalopram goes up to 20 mg per day.
Yes I'll ask my doctor. The thing is that I also haven't been referred to a psych. My GP is just dealing with it and handing out pills but nothing else.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I've had some but they never realy worked.
I'm taking lamotrigine now which is kinda an anti-depressant and I have less downs than I used to so I guess it might be working.
My main problem was sleeping properly and now I finally can thanks to a magic pill called quetiapine.

EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
Antidepressants don't address why you're feeling a certain way in the first place. They're a bandaid and often one that has worse side effects than benefits; some of which have the potential to become lifelong like tardive dyskinesia. I would personally not recommend them as they aren't a solution and they're dangerous. Pharmaceutical companies and psychiatrists aren't held accountable for the lives that they ruin with the life changing side effects.

I still take one but I have to because it's medication for my Fibromyalgia.

• Love
Reactions: orlandom
Trisolaris

Trisolaris

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
Yes I'll ask my doctor. The thing is that I also haven't been referred to a psych. My GP is just dealing with it and handing out pills but nothing else.
Well that's basically what a psychiatrist does as well. Maybe if raising the dose won't work then you can go to a psychiatrist that will prescribe something else.

popcorn

popcorn

Experienced
Dec 20, 2020
mirtazapine was good for me, kicked in fast helped with sleep and appetite too
sertraline made me feel sick for weeks and my insomnia was was worse
amitriptyline was ok too it helped me sleep
i also rate ritalin for a quick mood boost, modafinil too

what works for someone else wont necessarily work for you, everyone has different neuro transmitter pathways effecting their mood and so on

Reactions: gtrfvr and Fin