• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

S

Sailfisher

F’ing A
Apr 19, 2019
Do antidepressants change your perspective on your situation or just give you a feeling of happiness? I am nervous to try them.

Reactions: Circles, Darkhaven and Rebirth
N

nachtlicht

May 28, 2019
For me they mostly just give me a bit more energy to get through the day. I wouldn't say that i feel happier but i feel more indifferent. On days where I forget them I have extra bad days with several breakdowns so this puts it into perspective that it seems to be helping.

Reactions: Superfluous, Vidar33 and Circles
dreamsofdestruction

dreamsofdestruction

Everywhere I look is chaos
May 9, 2019
For me they didn't do anything but give me side effects.

On days where I forget them I have extra bad days with several breakdowns so this puts it into perspective that it seems to be helping.

This is actually kind of weird, because they're not supposed to be working like that (if we're talking about SSRIs and the like). Like when you start taking them it's supposed to take weeks until you notice something and I guess the same would be true if you were to stop taking them.

Reactions: Circles
N

nachtlicht

May 28, 2019
This is actually kind of weird, because they're not supposed to be working like that (if we're talking about SSRIs and the like). Like when you start taking them it's supposed to take weeks until you notice something and I guess the same would be true if you were to stop taking them.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, good to know! I've been one them for a year, last time i upped my dose was in january so they should be working.

Reactions: Superfluous and Circles
Loli

Loli

highly flammable
May 25, 2019
Happier? No. It rather allowed me to not to be so concerned about things that beat me down. But generally when chemically imbalanced brain hits rock bottom everything beats it down. So it's rather a secondary effect. Smaller doses did made me hypomanic but it passed away once I moved forward to higher dosage. May I ask what medications do you plan to take and what for?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vidar33 and Circles
OmgDudeWhatNoWay

OmgDudeWhatNoWay

May 27, 2019
There are so many different antidepressants that have variable effects that will affect everyone differently. Experience is a better teacher than analysis. There's also nothing wrong with taking them, especially so if you feel suicidal and that your very life is at stake. These drugs are designed with the intentional to help you cope with depression. Your have the choice to switch to different ones until you find the one that works well for you.

I used to take Prozac when I first started. I felt that it didn't really change my mood, however I did notice one profound difference in my behavior, and that is increased anxiety, which is a no-no, but your mileage may vary. I remember playing a game, and it's normal to get an adrenaline rush and a little bit of anxiety, but this drug amplified that anxiety tenfold to the point where I was physically contracting my stomach beause I was so nervous. It felt like I was dropping from a rollercoaster. So yea, I ditched those meds. Then, I started taking Lexapro. I can't remember what difference it made, but it didn't change much. To be honest, I felt like I ditched Lexapro a bit too early, probably should have taken it a bit longer to get accustomed to it and make a better conclusion on the drug.

Right now I'm on Welbutrin. Welbutrin is one of the most energizing antidepressants. I personally feel like this is very crucial, because when you are tired or low on energy, it perpetuates the depression even further. I would do some more research on these drugs because I'm no doctor, and don't want to give false information on a sensitive topic. It's currently the antidepressant I've stuck to the longest and still am to this day.

ExitTheDay

ExitTheDay

We fight to live or live to die
May 26, 2019
For me they only did their job for a very short while, and for a period of time while I was on them and they were being effective I would have these episodes where I would get waaaaaaaaaaay to excited over things, kind of like mania if you will, but I geuss that's partly connected to my BPD

S

Sailfisher

F’ing A
Apr 19, 2019
May I ask what medications do you plan to take and what for?

Just an antidepressant in general. Legitimate problems that cause depression. So, I don't know if they would help or not.

Loli

Loli

highly flammable
May 25, 2019
Just an antidepressant in general. Legitimate problems that cause depression. So, I don't know if they would help or not.
I see. Well-chosen medications are lifesaving and although first few weeks can be difficult to bear you should be fine if you stay in touch with your doc. There are so many substances to choose from so don't be discouraged easily. There are also some cool apps that help monitoring mental state during therapy. I was using eMoods for example.
In my case I had to change my meds twice, starting from SSRI, then SNRI and finally ending up with lamotrigine. Oh, sweet lamotrigine. The two months during which I was taking lamotrigine was the only period during last year I wouldn't be suicidal.
Stay strong, good luck!

Reactions: Superfluous, Circles and Darkhaven
Darkhaven

Darkhaven

All i have left is memories
May 19, 2019
I am on the same boat after being prescribed Sertraline...

• Hugs
Reactions: Superfluous, Circles and Loli
C

CTB-London

Student
Feb 26, 2019
Do antidepressants change your perspective on your situation or just give you a feeling of happiness? I am nervous to try them.

They don't affect your life situation but may lift your mood to deal with it better.

I suggest asking your doctor if you can try one and see if you feel any benefits. If you don't, you can come off them. It may take being prescribed a few before you find the right one.

I gained little from them but that's just my experience.

Reactions: Superfluous and Circles
Chalken

Chalken

Decaying
Nov 20, 2018
They didn't erase or lessen my suicidal thoughts, but they gave me more energy to do basic things. This is why suicide risk increases when you're on antidepressants. Although it's still extremely difficult to get up in the mornings, no matter when I go to bed or how long I sleep.

V

Vidar33

May 14, 2019
Been on Effexor for about 15 years now. The first 10 years they worked pretty well. Felt mich better in a sense that I didnt suffer so much anymore from social anxiety. They stopped working after about 12, 13 years. Unfortunately.

Still I can really recommend to give it a try. Even if only for a limited time, they can help experiencing life in a much more comfortable way.

Reactions: Chalken
S

spanishguy22

Enlightened
Apr 9, 2019
They give you zero happiness or ability to experience joy in itself.
They allow to drown bad feelings and put you in a middle ground state so you can function.
Mild depressives can be deceived by them, but for major depressive life will suck just as much with or without them.
Major depression only ketamine and hard drugs can give you a feeling of being normal.
But relying on an expensive, brain altering chemical for a slight chance at normality isn't a way to live.

Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
You will get many differing opinions on this as they affect everyone differently. Some will say they helped and others not.

I've been on 4 or 5 in my lifetime. I'm not going to specify which brands or how each one affected me as it would be wrong to mislead you. Your doctor should be the one to advise you. Assuming your doctor is good at their job, they'll recommend the one that they've had most success with their other patients. They will also schedule regular appointments to review your treatment and also tell you to report any negative side effects as soon as possible so that they can switch treatments.

If you're in a situation where you need them, then it's definitely better to try than to ignore the problem. Don't feel nervous about it.

Reactions: Vidar33
MartEU

MartEU

May 26, 2019
Good to read all the replies. when I get a shrink again I'm gonna try to get a SSRI, really hope it will help

Reactions: Vidar33