Insomniac

Insomniac

š¯”„ š¯”² š¯”± š¯”¦ š¯”° š¯”Ŗ
May 21, 2021
I'm only 24 but have been developping relatively serious memory loss due to prolonged use of antidepressants like xanax and other stuff like mianserin.

I did read that alzheimer and dementia were frequent side effects. I also have mini seizures and body tremors. all these symptoms started off insignificants. I have been on antidepressants for 2-3 years now.

but the worst side effect of all is without a doubt the social anxiety I get when I don't have my fix.

but despite being on antidepressants, I still have severe generalised anxiety.

what about you? are you on any sort of medication and if yes, are you suffering from serious side effects?

• Hugs
Reactions: NearlyIrrelevantCake and Callie Arcale
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

Itā€™s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
I only have experience with SSRI. They worked to some extent but they were horribly difficult to come off. I have taken different kinds of SSRI for both short and long periods. Last time I took Sertraline I had side effects for 8 months. So I had to quit them coz I could not take the anxiety and obsessive thoughts anymore - I spook myself just writing about it, that's how dreadful they made me feel. Horrible, horrible side effects despite being on a minimum dose.

Reactions: Insomniac
Insomniac

Insomniac

May 21, 2021
I only have experience with SSRI. They worked to some extent but they were horribly difficult to come off. I have taken different kinds of SSRI for both short and long periods. Last time I took Sertraline I had side effects for 8 months. So I had to quit them coz I could not take the anxiety and obsessive thoughts anymore - I spook myself just writing about it, that's how dreadful they made me feel. Horrible, horrible side effects despite being on a minimum dose.
thansk for your reply ^^

I don't get SSRIs. I have been prescribed Escitalopram many times before and was told that I'd feel the effect sfter 3 weeks. I was also told that it was an "in-depth" treatment of anxiety and that I'd have to stop taking them after 6 months. I never actually took my prescriptions seriously because the effects were not as immediate as xanax.

I always wondered what happened after these 6 months. Do you come out of it somewhat "fixed" with a normal healthy brain?

If it's hard to come off them, then what's the difference with benzos? if the effects wear off some times after you stop taking them, then isn't it just a band aid just like xanax? why do they prescribe them for 6 months specifically.

what effect did the pills have on you, within how much time of taking them? I felt like mine had no effect after taking them for two weeks and gave up.

Reactions: Callie Arcale
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

Itā€™s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
thansk for your reply ^^

I don't get SSRIs. I have been prescribed Escitalopram many times before and was told that I'd feel the effect sfter 3 weeks. I was also told that it was an "in-depth" treatment of anxiety and that I'd have to stop taking them after 6 months. I never actually took my prescriptions seriously because the effects were not as immediate as xanax.

I always wondered what happened after these 6 months. Do you come out of it somewhat "fixed" with a normal healthy brain?

If it's hard to come off them, then what's the difference with benzos? if the effects wear off some times after you stop taking them, then isn't it just a band aid just like xanax? why do they prescribe them for 6 months specifically.

what effect did the pills have on you, within how much time of taking them? I felt like mine had no effect after taking them for two weeks and gave up.

As far as I know the minimum treatment period is six months. Is that perhaps what you mean? You should most definitely not stop taking any SSRI abruptly. It even says so on the package.

I am not a medical practitioner, so please do your research, don't take my word for it, but all the doctors I've ever met have told me that I should take the SSRI until I feel better and then continue for another six months to a year to prevent a relapse.

SSRI take a long time to stabilize your mood. They work by increasing the amount of serotonin in the brain. They are not the kind of pills you take to get an instant feel-good feeling.

No, they do not fix your brain chemistry. But they allow you to take control of your problems, they give you a respite, if you will. My doctors told me I might have to take a low dose for the rest of my life, because I don't tolerate stress, and I would have done that, had it not been for the side effects.
what effect did the pills have on you, within how much time of taking them?

They gave me an extra layer of skin. I felt less stressed about my poor health. I cried less, I cared less about what people said and did. I was less depressed.

• Informative
Reactions: D&D and Insomniac
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Xanax does make it forget things with time , not immediately, your anti depressant I never heard of, I'm on viorxetine and have so side effects what so ever, even drink it with coffeeā€¦ maybe talk to your doctor? How much Xanax are you taking?

Insomniac

Insomniac

May 21, 2021
Xanax does make it forget things with time , not immediately, your anti depressant I never heard of, I'm on viorxetine and have so side effects what so ever, even drink it with coffeeā€¦ maybe talk to your doctor? How much Xanax are you taking?
Is your anti depressants working for you? Do you feel less anxious? For how long have you been taking it? What are you able to do now that you couldn't do before taking viorxetine? are you less suicidal?

I take 3mg-4mg xanax per day and also have an addiction to coffee. I think Mianserin (or cristers) has the same effect than that off SSRIs judging by the duration of the treatment (6 months). At first, it made me extremely sleepy but my body got used to it in like 1 day and then I stopped feeling the effect.

Despite all the meds, my anxiety keeps getting stronger and stronger it's insane.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Yes I take viorxetine, lamotrigine, gabapentine, and I feel less suicidal and days more active. Xanax when needed. Of course this is my body composition. But you should def talk to your doc, Im on viorxetine 20mg the highest dose.
Is your anti depressants working for you? Do you feel less anxious? For how long have you been taking it? What are you able to do now that you couldn't do before taking viorxetine? are you less suicidal?

I take 3mg-4mg xanax per day and also have an addiction to coffee. I think Mianserin (or cristers) has the same effect than that off SSRIs judging by the duration of the treatment (6 months). At first, it made me extremely sleepy but my body got used to it in like 1 day and then I stopped feeling the effect.

Despite all the meds, my anxiety keeps getting stronger and stronger it's insane.
Try not to take more than 4 Xanax a day, 3 is ideal. 4 will just make you wanna take more and more in time, trust me I have a prob with benzo abuse. Don't get to where I am. They are hell to quit. Good luck sweetie.

• Informative
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I'm a coffee lover too, the most strong coffee, espresso, but I only take one a day now and the rest decaf. Was horrible to get to this stage as I loved coffee so much. But your Xanax won't work if you take coffee,.
oh, you're highly medicated too
3 pills wouldnt Call it heavily medicated. Had previous drs who prescribed me 5 or 7 pills to take daily, now only 3. And I work, have a normal life. In my case can't complain. Your anxiety might be because of the coffee, even though I'm not one, Im sure he will tell you to drop the caffeine. Was the same with me.
See anti depressants are already stimulants, and if you mix it with lots of coffee you do the math. Just trying to help. Hugs

Last edited:
  • Informative
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I have to be careful with what I take because I'm quite prone to side effects too. Currently I'm on a very low dose of Celexa daily, and that's it. I dropped the benzos after a couple of years. The risk that you actually develop dementia from a benzo (especially as a younger person) I think is fairly negligible, so long as you're not on one for like a decade or anything.

Extra fatigue and vertigo were problematic side effects for me in the past with my SSRI, so I started breaking my pill in half every day and have stuck with that dosage. Of course, I got told I was "playing doctor" by my GP once I told her that, but I quickly let her know she could take a running jump, in not so many words. I'm hardly playing doctor for needing to function.

• Informative
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
I feel you on that memory shit.

I've been on gabapentin for almost a decade for pain related to nerve damage/old injuries. It does wonders for my pain, I couldn't function without it. But it's entirely fucked my memory up. Can't forget most of my childhood/teens. Can't remember if I went to the store yesterday or a few days or a week ago, but I know I went there "recently". Can't remember what I've read or watched, so I can re-read/re-watch books and TV shows and have pretty much no recollection of the plot points.

A recent exchange with a friend, actually...

Me: I was looking up this store Mom and I shopped at a lot as a kid, [Store's Name]. I didn't know it closed permanently in 2020, that's really bumming me out.
Friend: It's sad that you "discover" that [Store's Name] being closed down every eight months or so.