• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

S

SuicideDJ

Mar 4, 2020
Has anyone here considered another way of living such ad communal or monastic?
I've been learning a little bit about Buddhism and there are a few monasteries nearby.

Reactions: The Lonely and Shadowrider
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
Some monasteries have trial or even weekend options for those who have an interest. However, you may wish to be cautious as much as the human heart may aspire to lofty goals, the reality is that Buddhists like Muslims, Christians, or any other group have those that fall short of that for which they seek.

There were quite a number of utopian communities started 200 years ago. Most either became dictatorships or fell apart through bickering. Either way, few survived more than ten years.

Reactions: Null Hypothesis and Shadowrider
S

SuicideDJ

Mar 4, 2020
Some monasteries have trial or even weekend options for those who have an interest. However, you may wish to be cautious as much as the human heart may aspire to lofty goals, the reality is that Buddhists like Muslims, Christians, or any other group have those that fall short of that for which they seek.

There were quite a number of utopian communities started 200 years ago. Most either became dictatorships or fell apart through bickering. Either way, few survived more than ten years.
Exactly.
I visited one last year where the monks appeared to be "institutionalised".
I suppose that everyone falls short of their goals but it is how you wish to live your life.
The attraction for me is communal living, Buddhism seems to have a positive message (listen to Ajahn Brahm on YouTube). It seems to be a way to give a meaning to life

Shadowrider

Shadowrider

Student
Jan 26, 2021
@SuicideDJ : TBH I used to consider the very same thing, having read much Theravada suttas (also some Zen/Chan and some Vajrayana stuff too).

Certainly very good thoughts, techniques and a way of viewing life. I especially like that there is no such a thing as a Saviour, you are not obliged to actually believe anything, just practice, experience and think. This is what I do like.

I used to consider monastic life too, but I had some doubts.
As bhikkhu's / bhiksu's are not some special enlightened beings, only humans like you and me, we would probably experience the same frustrations and problems in a monastic community like we do as lay people. Of course I cannot know this for sure, but some communities might have a cult-like structure. This is something I don't need in my life, and this is why I don't want to be a monk.
On the other hand, if you want to meditate, practice the things Buddhist teachings are telling us, change your way of thinking - and living - for the better, you are free to do so - without having to shave your head and dress in a yellow/orange/brown/black robe. Even in the ancient, old-fashioned Theravada they say even a lay person can reach the Parinibbana :)

@timf : very well written thoughts! Cannot say anything but nod.

Reactions: Null Hypothesis and SuicideDJ
S

SuicideDJ

Mar 4, 2020
@Shadowrider some very good points.
It is the community/communal side that appeals to me.
We are all humans on this earth trying to do our best

Reactions: Shadowrider
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Yes, I've considered it. Too bad there are no atheist monasteries. I don't want to learn to meditate or to know any god. I don't need direction or hope. All I want is to retreat somewhere remote and far away from all temptations, with the assurance that I would never have to get back. But I refuse to pray to anything.

Shadowrider

Shadowrider

Student
Jan 26, 2021
Yes, I've considered it. Too bad there are no atheist monasteries. I don't want to learn to meditate or to know any god. I don't need direction or hope. All I want is to retreat somewhere remote and far away from all temptations, with the assurance that I would never have to get back. But I refuse to pray to anything.
Let me assure you: you are not the only atheist in this thread! I happen to know about another one :D
In Buddhism, you don't even need to know any god. It is not a system of beliefs and you definitely are not obliged to pray to anything; respecting "teachers" is another thing but ideally, you don't pray to them.
Learning to meditate is a tricky thing: TBH I have never really found any peace in sitting in lotus - or half-lotus - position, meditating over Anicca or Anatta or anything else - while doing any menial things, even braindead activities did help with getting into the right state of mind.
Retreating somewhere remote is something I would fancy doing. Never having to get back - and being dead to the world - seems like a good idea.

@Shadowrider some very good points.
It is the community/communal side that appeals to me.
We are all humans on this earth trying to do our best
Thank you!
I see. Belonging to somewhere and living in a community is appealing, yes. Not in this terrible, terrible modern society - it just makes us even lonelier and even more separated -, but in a closer commune.

Reactions: budgie and UseItOrLoseIt
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
while doing any menial things, even braindead activities did help with getting into the right state of mind.
Usually, that's what help me the most. The less I think the better. People at work joke about me always cleaning up and mopping. My answer to that is "Mopping is salvation". Although I say it in a joking manner I'm dead serious.

Reactions: Shadowrider and Null Hypothesis