coldeyes

coldeyes

the rumbling is comfy
Jan 9, 2019
Maybe people confuse the natural inherent nature of emptiness in humans with depression. Mankind has been with this since existence. People have filled the emptiness with religion, culture, communal awareness, love, etc. Now that we don't want all that, we have no way of filling the void. Because of an agreed way of filling the void, we turn to therapists, when Jesus, Allah, etc would have solved our problems. PS: This purely intellectual musing, so avoid religion, culture, etc bashing in comments just because it's the done thing

Reactions: Bct, _Minsk, mx5nb3 and 4 others
Red

Red

Warlock
Apr 10, 2019
Agreed... this more somber side of human nature is more prevalent than happiness. It should be the lowest common denominator. If this is so, why is it so hard for people to talk about and suicide such a taboo subject?

Reactions: Bct, _Minsk, coldeyes and 1 other person
mx5nb3

mx5nb3

"The opposite of depression is vitality"-A.S. Tedx
Jun 10, 2020
I would recommend checking out the Ted Talk by Andrew Solomon titled "Depression, the secret we share". The key quote in his speech is "The opposite of depression is not hapiness, but vitality...". It is a very well organized, presented, and insightful presentation of depression and just how common it is, despite its elusivity.
Agreed... this more somber side of human nature is more prevalent than happiness. It should be the lowest common denominator. If this is so, why is it so hard for people to talk about and suicide such a taboo subject?
I think it could be fear? I really dont know, its a very complex question when you think about it. I dont think there is a single, definitive answer. Just various interpretations.

Last edited:
Red

Red

Warlock
Apr 10, 2019
I think some people are worried that it's contagious - I guess it can be to those who are trying to keep themselves away from the edge of the pit themselves. Sorta like, "If you're going over the edge anyway I'm not going to risk myself to save you" kinda thing.

Reactions: _Minsk