neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
Not that I've ever been an active contributor, but I disappeared for a while and it's just interesting to see who's gone in the meantime, as well as the new usernames that have shown up. I do regret that there were many people that I wasn't here to see off, but I trust that everyone who's left has found some sort of peace, whether the bus turned up or they just decided to self-ban/deactivate their account. I hope that everyone who's joined since I last visited is getting comfort from the community here.

Totally unrelated, my psych makes disappointed noises when I mention I've been drinking, but is it really any worse that taking meds? At least medical science has figured out what alcohol does to your body and mind. That's a hell of a lot more that you can say about psych meds. Plus, I don't have to go to the pharmacy. IMO it's a win-win.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Celerity, hʚll, http-410 and 4 others
S

suisuiforum

Experienced
Jul 4, 2021
Hey, I'm one of the newer members who joined recently, and I have to say that this forum is one of the best places for open, unfiltered discussion about suicide. I can relate to so many members here in terms of how we view death as opposed to what the general population believes, and I hope everyone has gained something useful from this site.
Psychiatry can be a hit or miss depending on a variety of factors, and even cause more damage at times. It's unbelievable how people tout medication without a fully understood mechanism of action, along with a dispassionate voice on the other side of 10 numbers as the panacea to all mental suffering.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: AtMostOkay
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Are you the garden guy? I remember you.

LostSoul1609

LostSoul1609

Experienced
Mar 9, 2021
Not that I've ever been an active contributor, but I disappeared for a while and it's just interesting to see who's gone in the meantime, as well as the new usernames that have shown up. I do regret that there were many people that I wasn't here to see off, but I trust that everyone who's left has found some sort of peace, whether the bus turned up or they just decided to self-ban/deactivate their account. I hope that everyone who's joined since I last visited is getting comfort from the community here.

Totally unrelated, my psych makes disappointed noises when I mention I've been drinking, but is it really any worse that taking meds? At least medical science has figured out what alcohol does to your body and mind. That's a hell of a lot more that you can say about psych meds. Plus, I don't have to go to the pharmacy. IMO it's a win-win.
I think I would consider myself pretty new even tho I've been here for a year or so.
Did your meds not work? What kind of medicatione have you taken? I've had a good experience with antidepressants and benzodiazepines, problem with alchoohol is that it easily creates a psychological addiction which is hard to get out of while meds only create a phisycal addiction which is easier to slip out of, also alchoohol only helps with some problem, it might help with anxiety like benzos do or even better than benzo but it doesn't help with depression symptoms.

• Hugs
Reactions: AtMostOkay
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
Welcome back :hug:

I pop in and out depending on what's going on in my life or how I'm feeling. Each time I come back, it feels like I missed a season of a television show @_@

It's not quite the same, but most psychiatrists I've seen absolutely refuse to believe it when I say that marijuana has been more effective in managing my diagnoses than any of the 20+ medications we've tried. I'm on a site called Sanctioned Suicide, so things are obviously not great regardless of what substances I'm putting in my body, but weed has offered me much more relief than these mysterious happy pills no one understands that make me black out or gain 30 pounds or sweat profusely or sleep 20 hours a day or have full-body spasms. I'm ready to be done with the whole thing.

(I also have to question the competency & professionalism of any doctor who communicates with noises instead of words. The whole point of this is that they're supposed to focus on treating you, not judging you.)

Reactions: Celerity and GenesAndEnvironment
neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
@suisuiforum Welcome, glad to hear you're having a positive experience so far. :hug: I think basically everyone on this site shares your views about psychiatry, so you're in excellent company.

Are you the garden guy? I remember you.
Yes, I'm the garden guy! It feels kind of nice that someone remembered me, thanks. :) If gardening is the extent of my legacy on this site, I'm alright with that.

As an aside, it's always nice to see you around the forums. You're like the BBS equivalent of a familiar face and I appreciate your insight.

Did your meds not work? What kind of medicatione have you taken?
Welcome to you as well :)

I've been on the med merry-go-round (medi-go-round?) for almost 20 years so I've taken basically everything in existence, sans tricyclics and MAOIs. Klonopin and alcohol are pretty much all that's keeping me afloat right now, but I'm still naively hoping that I'll find something that works ok-ish and is tolerable enough that I won't need them.

Not looking for a debate here, but I disagree that it's easier to get over physical addiction to medications than psychological addictions. Benzo withdrawal can kill you. AD withdrawal is horrible. There are entire communities dedicated to supporting people working their way off of psych meds because it's so difficult. I do genuinely appreciate your concern and thoughts regarding alcohol, though.

I pop in and out depending on what's going on in my life or how I'm feeling. Each time I come back, it feels like I missed a season of a television show @_@
Same here, and this is exactly the feeling I have.

It's great that you've had success with marijuana. I know a lot of people who say the same thing. One of my friends says it's the only thing that helps their PTSD symptoms, and honestly it's probably a lot more benign as far as long-term effects go than most psych meds. I've never really been a weed person, but that might be an option worth looking into at this point.

I also have to question the competency & professionalism of any doctor who communicates with noises instead of words.
Haha I was sort of joking. I'm actually really lucky and have a psychiatrist who--get this--listens to me.

• Love
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment