EconomcDisparity

EconomcDisparity

l'appel du vide
Nov 9, 2020
I've been closely monitoring the amendment process of Bill C-7 and seeing what the Parliament of Canada will change with their laws around assisted suicide. From what I've read, this amendment will be a lot more accesible for people, definitely better than the first version of this law. But they added this clause to prevent the mentally ill from accessing MAiD and it just rubs me the wrong way.

"Exclusion

(2.‍1) For the purposes of paragraph (2)‍(a), a mental illness is not considered to be an illness, disease or disability."

Like what the fuck is that supposed to mean? Is it just a mental "problem" then? Like I feel like the Supreme Court or some other authoratative body might overrule this as discrimination but who knows when that will happen. I just wish the people in government could respect those who are suffering and those who want to practice their individual freedom but fuck us I guess :/

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Pen>Sword, Greenberg, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
M

mikenoir

To cheer upon death: to see life as more beautiful
Nov 3, 2020
I think even organizations like Pegasus in Switzerland won't let you die if, for example, you're depressed. Don't quote me on that. But requirements are often stringent the world over. Don't be surprised. Too good to be true.

Reactions: Pen>Sword
EconomcDisparity

EconomcDisparity

l'appel du vide
Nov 9, 2020
I think even organizations like Pegasus in Switzerland won't let you die if, for example, you're depressed. Don't quote me on that. But requirements are often stringent the world over. Don't be surprised. Too good to be true.
Yea it just sucks because if people can't access medication or therapy, what are they supposed to do? Just vibe? At the end of the day, the government or any authority figure shouldn't say what you do with your body or life. I just wish it would be easier and more peaceful for those who want to go and it just sucks for those who are in that position.

Reactions: Pen>Sword, LigottiFan19, Buffy5120 and 1 other person
LakatosDiogenesz

LakatosDiogenesz

I can tie a noose with my eyes closed
Nov 21, 2020
Patient wants to die -> Patient is declared mentally ill for wanting to die -> Patient can't qualify for euthanasia
I don't get why they would legalize it if you can't access it anyway due to some goofy subtext. It sure as hell won't stop people from killing themselves.

Reactions: Wraith, EconomcDisparity and AutoTap
M

mikenoir

Nov 3, 2020
Patient wants to die -> Patient is declared mentally ill for wanting to die -> Patient can't qualify for euthanasia
I don't get why they would legalize it if you can't access it anyway due to some goofy subtext. It sure as hell won't stop people from killing themselves.
That's not quite right. First, they would access your decision for wanting to CTB. If you have a physical disability, you're more likely to get it. If you just say, "I hate life, I wanna die", as rational as you may be, they won't give it to you. It's too impractical legally to determine who has the ability to decide for themselves and who hasn't. Imagine the riots. No way that would be legalized. N is as close as you'll get. Let's hope it doesn't just fucking vanish.

Reactions: Pen>Sword
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
No one is going to make the precedent until it goes to Supreme Court for mental illness. No one wants to be accountable for the death of anyone. What's needed is a advocacy group with financing on our side to help set legislature. Or maybe not? But I suspect it will take a lot of political will for the law to be changed specific to mental illness. Anyone with deep pockets is always welcome to hire a lawyer.

Reactions: Pen>Sword, Pookie, Wraith and 1 other person
A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
Crippling anxiety and depression not a disability? Aspergers not a disability?

They're changing the definition of disability apparently then.

disability is any condition of the body or mind (impairment) that makes it more difficult for the person with the condition to do certain activities (activity limitation) and interact with the world around them (participation restrictions)

honestly I'm surprised it's not allowed as they'd be able to make money off by taxing ctb.

Pay clinic $1k -> government gets % and it adds up.
No one is going to make the precedent until it goes to Supreme Court for mental illness. No one wants to be accountable for the death of anyone. What's needed is a advocacy group with financing on our side to help set legislature. Or maybe not? But I suspect it will take a lot of political will for the law to be changed specific to mental illness. Anyone with deep pockets is always welcome to hire a lawyer.
This sadly most people with mental health issues don't make much so we can't lobby or afford good lawyers to make it better for us.

Reactions: Pen>Sword, MisjudgedCutie94, Gnip and 1 other person
M

mikenoir

Nov 3, 2020
Crippling anxiety and depression not a disability? Aspergers not a disability?

They're changing the definition of disability apparently then.

disability is any condition of the body or mind (impairment) that makes it more difficult for the person with the condition to do certain activities (activity limitation) and interact with the world around them (participation restrictions)

honestly I'm surprised it's not allowed as they'd be able to make money off by taxing ctb.

Pay clinic $1k -> government gets % and it adds up.

This sadly most people with mental health issues don't make much so we can't lobby or afford good lawyers to make it better for us.
They said, "for the purposes of paragraph (2)(a)". They're just saying that legally. Cuz, you know, riots from family members of the deceased mentally ill person that could have been saved but that "the government helped kill"?

Reactions: Pen>Sword and AutoTap
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I think the exclusion is for cases in which there is only mental illness. Mental illness combined with other things can be considered together.

A

ayb

"I'd feel trapped if I couldn't CTB at any time."
Feb 15, 2019
Only the NL and Belgium allow this atm

Reactions: Gnip
B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
I dont plan on telling them about my mental another person I know didnt tell them he has depression and was accepted to Pegasos

Reactions: Disappointered
B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
They said, "for the purposes of paragraph (2)(a)". They're just saying that legally. Cuz, you know, riots from family members of the deceased mentally ill person that could have been saved but that "the government helped kill"?
I dont understand why people think like this?! like mental illness isnt equal or worse, (which most of the time it is worse) when comparing to physical illnesses. I guess its because, if the "naked eye" can actually see your limitations from your chronic illness or disability, (like being in a wheelchair for example), then thats why its deemed "okay to do" and more understanding or acceptable from society, when people with physical illnesses get accepted for euthanasia. This is because people could actually see with their own eyes, the tremendous amount of pain and suffering that the person was going through, which is why if they actually could see on the inside of whats going on in the brain, i think more people would understand why people with mental illness should also be granted euthanasia. But because people cannot actually "see this with their own eyes" what is going on, and most are too lazy to even go down that route, they feel if euthanasia clinics help the mentally ill to die its disgraceful, but yet were to fucking lazy to actually help or listen to that person that has depression etc because mental illness is not VISIBLE to the naked eye and involves more work to learn about and truly understand. Its so ignorant because it actually stems down to laziness, because since they cannot see the illness they act like we dont have any real and horrible chronic issues to deal with on a daily basis and that everything is ok, when its obviously 100% not. This is why i said before, the only way to prove to society that people with mental illnesses are really suffering is to do spect, fmri brain scans, and let those people go through a 1 year therapy/vitamin/medication route, just to prove and SHUT THESE PROLIFERS up, that we tried all x amount options and nothing is able to work still, even when we did everything we could. If it were me i wouldnt want anyone with mental illness to have to "prove"that they are really suffering, but unfortunately this would be the only way to show these lazy ignorant assholes how life is impossible for us, just like people that have physical illness have, and get mostly accepted for euthanasia. The doctors in the clinics already know we are suffering, it is the reaction that they are scared to get from non logical, and ignorant full of rage, and emotional, family members, because of the typical ignorant stigma on mental illness "they weren't in that much pain", which is just like hint hint, bullshit fthe26. They use their ignorant emotions, over factual knowledge and of course follow the stigma, people with mental illness are not suffering and can get better....then why tf arent we when we tried every option out there for countless amounts of years? Theres no cure and the brain scan would prove and settle all this once and for all.

Last edited: