Lookoutbelow

Lookoutbelow

Jump to it
Sep 14, 2023
How can I want to die, but also be the one to prevent myself from doing it? I want to die. My SI does not want me to die. If it is "my" SI then that means I own it and should be able to ignore it because it is just something I own. If my SI is me then why would it allow my mind to develop thoughts of suicide? Will the real me please stand up.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: cscott and Forever Sleep
tfnb

tfnb

May 29, 2023
That's an evolutionary biology question. Your consciousness is like a top layer on top of many tried-amd-true systems you've inherited from past successful generations and species. You're essentially in a cockpit with a bunch of sensors and gauges, able to control in a lited fashion what the ship does externally, while there are alarms and blinky lights to warn you about stuff, and the system is in a limited fashion controlled by a smart AI if things get too warn-y

Your SI is some of those alarms and lights, and it is integrated into that annoying AI.

Reactions: cscott, AllCatsAreGrey and SolomonKado
Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
Your body and mind are 2 separate entities. Your mind has learned to think creative thought and thus destructive thought aswell.
The body only acts on impulses. Impulses that help it stay alive. That's why you can't just stop swimming if you're drowning, unless you're utterly fatigued.
Also, is that picture a reference to the Fall movie?

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
SI is a separate thing. I compare it to your computer. You turn it on, it does certain tasks before you can use it.

This is the exact opposite. It does certian things to keep us from turning off. We do not ask, it just takes over.

There are ways to defeat it. They vary by method and individual.

We need a "close without saving" button.

Reactions: SolomonKado
Davey36000

Davey36000

I'm not the dog in the picture
Jun 12, 2023
No offense but there's too much misinformation in this thread.

Mind and body are different but they are connected.

If something stabs your toe like a thorn, you react (it's not insentient body that reacts). Or you may feel pain but not react and just know it's there.

Why do I say this? Look at the case of Thich Quang Duc, the monk who immolated himself and died. His whole body was on fire and yet, he was completely still. He didn't move at all. His whole mind was completely accepting of his condition.

But in his case it was a suicide out of compassion.

I suppose what happens for most of us is... we don't really want to die, we want the suffering to stop. This is different.

I think if we still force a suicide and our mind isn't completely ready/in sync with the action, then there will be SI.

Reactions: Lookoutbelow, LonelyKitten, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
tfnb

tfnb

May 29, 2023
If something stabs your toe like a thorn, you react (it's not insentient body that reacts). Or you may feel pain but not react and just know it's there.

Why do I say this? Look at the case of Thich Quang Duc, the monk who immolated himself and died. His whole body was on fire and yet, he was completely still. He didn't move at all. His whole mind was completely accepting of his condition.
You can train your autonomic nervous system to be less sensitive. Monks train this every day. People who are in high stress jobs or engage in high risk activities generally have less sensitive ANSs but the average person who lives comfortably generally has no control over their ANS.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
The survival instinct is seperate from logical thought, even if one is aware that suicide is truly what they wish for, they are still programmed survive, it's how they've evolved. To me it's certainly like the survival instinct exists to prolong suffering and keep us trapped here in this dreadful existence.

Lookoutbelow

Lookoutbelow

Jump to it
Sep 14, 2023
No offense but there's too much misinformation in this thread.

Mind and body are different but they are connected.

But in his case it was a suicide out of compassion.

I suppose what happens for most of us is... we don't really want to die, we want the suffering to stop. This is different.

I think if we still force a suicide and our mind isn't completely ready/in sync with the action, then there will be SI.
Yes, I just want to be at peace with my suicide. When I feel most peaceful is when most feel like doing it. I am just not able to hold that peace. I want to suicide out of compassion too, compassion for myself to stop suffering. I understand what you are saying.that I really don't want to die I just want to stop suffering. Life is endless suffering. I don't know I just want to be at peace with either living or dying. Right now I'm not at peace with either.