• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

EricRoche

EricRoche

Apr 7, 2018
I've decided to write down all the crappy arguments that people have against suicide in this thread:

1.) "It's a selfish act/ hurts your family and friends"

2.) "It's the coward's way out/easy way out"

3.) "Society has invested in you so you can't take your life away. You owe society"

4.) " Other people have it worse than you/would 'die' to be in your situation, what do you have to kill yourself over? You live in a developed country"

5.) "It's a temporary solution to a permanent problem"

6.) "God will punish you in hell if you kill yourself"

7.) "This is the only life we've got and you're throwing it away"

Anyone want to expand on them as well as answer why they all suck?

Reactions: Cutepoison, theguineapigking, lovemelovemenot and 3 others
K

Kfoe!12

the grind
Mar 21, 2018
"Imagine the dude who has to clean up after you"

Also bonus meme: "Imagine how your friends and family will feel"

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
El Topo

El Topo

(---)
Apr 21, 2018
I've decided to write down all the crappy arguments that people have against suicide in this thread:

Yeah? Well it's selfish to force someone to stay alive when they don't want to.

Suicide is not the easy way out. It's extremely difficult. You're literally going against the most primal instinct: self-preservation.

I think anyone who says suicide is a cowardly act has never experienced deep, prolonged suffering. And that's fine. I probably would've said something like this when I was 14.

3.) "Society has invested in you so you can't take your life away. You owe society"

Hm, never heard that one before. Interesting argument. But then again, our society is extremely fucked. So fuck it.

4.) " Other people have it worse than you/would 'die' to be in your situation, what do you have to kill yourself over? You live in a developed country"

The old "It could be worse" argument. Well guess what? It could also be a lot better. And these terms are only relative.

We can never know what it's like to be another person. People who seemingly have it all can be miserable. And other people who live in seemingly horrific conditions can be happy.

Ugh, I hate this one. You know what? Some problems actually are permanent.

Good thing I'm not Christian lol

Good thing I believe in reincarnation lol

Reactions: theguineapigking, SimplyTopHat, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
M

mwu14

Apr 21, 2018

Usually people without depression that take pride in "toughing it out" and accepting whatever obstacles life throws at them. They get lost in the fact that everyone dies anyway.

I'd also like for those people to attempt and see how "easy" it is.

Reactions: SimplyTopHat and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
M

Machonne

Apr 25, 2018
The people who say these things are ignorant. They know no more about the subject than we do, probably less. They just don't know what else to say. Don't worry about what they think. It doesn't matter. Those sayings probably cause more harm than good, IMHO. But it makes them feel better, that's the important thing. lol

Reactions: theguineapigking, SimplyTopHat, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
K

Kfoe!12

the grind
Mar 21, 2018
The people who say these things are ignorant. They know no more about the subject than we do, probably less. They just don't know what else to say. Don't worry about what they think. It doesn't matter. Those sayings probably cause more harm than good, IMHO. But it makes them feel better, that's the important thing. lol

People often mistake the saddest they have been as the definition of depression.
I can understand there being legitimate reasons for somebody who is lightly depressed to not act on their small temporary mood, but something a lot of these people doesn't understand is that us suicidals really can't go back, we are beyond any sort of help so the only humane thing would be to put us down.
But people will just keep believing we are just kind of sad.
Hate it when they act all wise like they have been through it all.

God, I wish they would just off themselves for making light of it.

Bonus meme:
0KsYrX3.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadgirl and Anarchy
FullFat

FullFat

^best order at Micky-D's ever
Apr 27, 2018

1. I don't have a good answer for this one. I think it's selfish to force someone to live a life they hate, but I just can't get over it for my family. I don't judge anybody who dies by suicide for it, but the guilt eats me.

2. This is just stupid. Why choose the hard way when there's nothing to gain by doing so? Maybe because I'm female, I don't give two fucks about being called a coward anyway.

3. I agree to an extent. See # 1. Life is one long chain of obligations to me. I *do* feel obligated to my family and my country. I don't feel like I'm contributing to society though. The world would probably be better off with someone like me dead - aside from my family (and you could make a good case for them too).

4. If you take this reasoning to its logical extreme, then only one person (the #1-ranking sufferer over all others) would be justified in being upset at any given time. Mind games and semantics aside, what does it matter to me that other people have it worse? Life isn't good enough for me, clearly, and my opinion is the only one that matters in this question.

5. Say that to lifelong mental illness. I've been anxious and depressed at a clinical level since around age 10, suicidal since age 12. And I know the statistics on treatment and prognosis. Given my (non)response to treatment and the length of time since I developed symptoms, I'm fucked. Unless someone develops a miracle treatment we haven't seen yet, this bullshit isn't going away any time soon. The best I can look forward to is mellowing out in old age to a degree, and I'll probably be completely alone and dead broke. No fucking thanks.

6. If there is a God, He should know that I gave him more than a fair shake to show himself to me. I didn't want to abandon Christianity or theism, I wasn't ready when I did, and I *want* to believe in a benevolent God. More likely though, death is the end. What makes me me is my brain. When that is damaged (more than it already is) or destroyed, what is left?

7. I can't argue with that, but if my life will only continue to worsen from here, what exactly do I have to look forward to? I know now that there is no life out there that would make me happy. No matter where you go, you can't escape from yourself. To be a bit pretentious and quote a Greek philosopher, "If you really want to escape the things that harass you, what you're needing is not to be in a different place but to be a different person." - Seneca. Difference is, I am not going to change in any appreciable way that would help.

8. As for the people, who will clean me up, that's their job. I hope someone who didn't sign up for that kind of work isn't the one who finds me, but all in all, I'm going to say my continued lifelong suffering trumps their momentary trauma.

Reactions: Anarchy and Phantom
totallyanonv

totallyanonv

Mar 30, 2018

Also bonus meme: "Imagine how your friends and family will feel"

This is the only stupid argument that actually gets me, bc i actually care for my younger siblings and I know my death can have emotional effects on others. Everyone else can go suffer idc.

Reactions: Phantom and FullFat
G

great-ape99

Student
Apr 22, 2018

If you believe that it's a selfish act then it is for you. Besides we all die anyway, so it's up to family if they want to get their panties in a bundle over it.

Those that don't acknowledge the hard reality and truths of suicide and this world are the cowards of truth and reality.

Yeah just as much as a quadriplegic owes society.

4.) "Other people have it worse than you/would 'die' to be in your situation, what do you have to kill yourself over? You live in a developed country"

So your saying I should lower my standards and compare myself to a starving African baby with files around it. LOL Sorry bad joke. Anyway, I think you get the idea. Besides

Until we have medical cures for everyone then it's a permeant solution to a permeant problems.

We create our own reality so if anything we punish ourselves if we don't commit suicide.

What good is life if we're not living an actual life.

Reactions: Deadgirl and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
wanttodie

wanttodie

Enlightened
Apr 19, 2018
The people who say these things are ignorant thay don,t what its like when you want to end your life so you can die . i want to die every day

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Asylla

Asylla

Apr 16, 2018
5.) "It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem"

I never understood this one. It really doesn't make that much sense. Aren't permanent solution the best kind of solution?

Reactions: Amber1974, Anarchy and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
FullFat

FullFat

^best order at Micky-D's ever
Apr 27, 2018
5.) "It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem"

I never understood this one. It really doesn't make that much sense. Aren't permanent solution the best kind of solution?

I think what they're saying is that the problem will eventually go away and that the cure is worse than the disease, to drag out another overused cliche.

LLawliet

LLawliet

Am I numb, or am I dead
Mar 3, 2020
One that I've heard used a lot is
'If you kill yourself, you'll never be able to do/see/feel/taste/smell/hear (blank) again'
One that my friends commonly use/try to use on me is ' if you kill yourself, you'll never be able to listen to music again' because music plays a big role in my life, and it raised me more than anyone, because everyone else just made me grow up too fast, music actually raised me. But music isn't going to matter once I'm gone and those are the same friends who ignore me when I need someone to listen to me so, ya know, why are they trying to convince me to live?
Probably because they'll feel guilty that they caused it by being fake friends but it won't be my problem anymore, so whatever.

SimplyTopHat

SimplyTopHat

Student
Mar 20, 2019

Numbers 2 &3 are absolutely ridiculous.

First, off anyone who think cowards commit suicide have obviously never tried. &lastly, who TF gives a damn about what society thinks? Society is the first to drop you when you stop being convenient.

Reactions: Shinbu
A

andy69

Experienced
May 23, 2019

If it were really selish and cowardly, more people would do it.
8. You are only passing your pain to someone else.

All the time you are told you are responsible for the way you feel, but that doesn't seem to apply to everyone else.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Indieblue