J

JipJopMop

Mar 6, 2021
Society seems to love giving basic shit recovery advice on how to not be depressed and the majority of it is COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT

• Meditation - I've been meditating twice a day for twenty minutes for a month and guess what I don't feel a single bit better. It is part of my recovery program for my chronic fatigue and it ain't doing shit. Society loves to harp on about how meditation is this amazing miraculous thing that helps all sorts of conditions but guess what my desire to ctb is stronger than it has been in a while
  • Exercise - haha, this is another one people love to band around about how exercise boosts mood and is an amazing anti-depressant HA HA HA, what SHIT!!! I used to exercise a lot, of varying intensities and guess what I wanted to kill myself while doing and afterwards, there was NO MOOD BOOST. Now I can't exercise due to my chronic fatigue but when I could it didn't help my mood
  • Sleeping sufficiently - hahaha, I slept 8 hours most nights over the last week and my sleeping pattern is the best it has been in years but my mood is still complete shit, sleeping sufficiently is another basic crap piece of advice that is thrown around
  • I don't drink caffeine - I rarely have caffeine, I don't drink tea or coffee
  • I don't drink alcohol often - I mainly drink on nights out which is impossible in corona times. I last drank in August/September and it ain't done shit for my mood.
  • Anti-depressants - They're ineffective for a lot of people and a lot of studies that show no improvement aren't published as the drug companies are usually the ones doing the funding.
  • Therapy - I've been in therapy on and off for what, like 8 years, and still my mental health is in tatters. I am sick to death of fucking CBT.
  • Support groups - I've gone to loads and still I'm fucked up with a broken life
  • Supplements - I never notice anything different when I am taking them to when I'm not

There's probably a lot more stuff I have tried over the eyars but can't think of right away, the point is most of this stuff is bullshit that has done fuck all for my life.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, http-410, Escape Artist and 6 others
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
It's pretty much as generic advice as it gets from normies who've never had any hardship in their lives.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Wrennie, Escape Artist and 7 others
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Forgot to add the newest one:

Smoking weed: Everyone says that weed makes you chilled out and relax, but then it makes you vulnerable and all the bad memories and urges to CTB return.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie, http-410, Escape Artist and 2 others
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
We have very similar stories. You are so right, they just throw out anything and hope it sticks, even if it makes the problem worse (exercise for CFS, as an example.) If it helps some people, great, but these individuals act like it's a panacea and that everyone just needs to be a spiritual sage who spends loads of money on therapy, or they don't wanna be cured.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie, Escape Artist, EmbraceOfTheVoid and 2 others
Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Student
Feb 6, 2021
If those things had worked, I would have Not been here.

• Hugs
Reactions: JipJopMop and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
oversizedsweaters

oversizedsweaters

Mar 6, 2021
Yeah I think those things help some people, but they shouldn't present it like that will be THE solution to all our problems. All these things didn't work for me either, but I still hope that I'll maybe discover something that will help, but I think it's also hard to find something like that. For me often the unhealthy coping mechanisms work the best unfortunately :(

I also got addicted to smoking weed. And even though it helps me to get through the day, I think it only makes everything worse in the long run.

Hopefully you can find something in the future that will help you more than all the things you've already tried ♥️

Reactions: Ame, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Blue Rose and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I guess you're totally right!
However, sleeping better thanks to my new meds is kinda helping me. The rest, just doesn't work.

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Blue Rose and JipJopMop
Bagger

Bagger

Stressful
Jun 18, 2019
Some of them works, some don't. It's individual. First step of any recovery is going straight with yourself about what the situation is and how it can be improved. I know sometimes it can't, but this is important step that needs to be done one way or another. Without, you will exercise, run around and force yourself to do other things, only to realize in the and that well yeeah, u have energy and power but to be depressed even harder. My two cents on the topic, meaning of the thing u do matter more than the thing itself, and blind recovery too can be damaging.

• Love
Reactions: Ame and Blue Rose
CatabolicSeed

CatabolicSeed

they/them
Feb 19, 2020
Yeah, these things don't exactly NOT work as they do work for some people, but everyone is different and these things aren't going to work for everyone. I hate when people are like "oh it's PROVEN that this thing works so if it doesn't work for you you just aren't trying enough!" (esp with therapy)

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha