Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, whitefeather, Symbiote and 1 other person
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
I'd rather have the abolition of involuntary commitment and free access to peaceful methods over euthanasia so I can go when I please.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and Sans
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
We will have it in the US before long. The culture war phenomenon is receding in the US - even many right wing thinkers admit the culture war is over and ironically in many areas it's libertarian right pushing away the evangelical ideology

look how fast homosexual marriages became national law. It went from being homosexuality illegal in early 2000s,gay marriage legal one or two states in the late 2000s to nationwide by 2015.

Reactions: Fragile
Latios

Latios

Experienced
Nov 22, 2020
We will have it in the US before long. The culture war phenomenon is receding in the US - even many right wing thinkers admit the culture war is over and ironically in many areas it's libertarian right pushing away the evangelical ideology

look how fast homosexual marriages became national law. It went from being homosexuality illegal in early 2000s,gay marriage legal one or two states in the late 2000s to nationwide by 2015.
Homosexuality wasn't illegal in the U.S. as late as the early 2000's to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps the closest you'd find is some sodomy laws that were technically still on the books but hadn't been repealed yet and no one even dreamt of enforcing.

• Love
Reactions: GarageKarate07 and yeahwellso
GarageKarate07

GarageKarate07

Wizard
Aug 18, 2020
Homosexuality wasn't illegal in the U.S. as late as the early 2000's to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps the closest you'd find is some sodomy laws that were technically still on the books but hadn't been repealed yet and no one even dreamt of enforcing.
On November 18, 2003, the Massachusetts Supreme Court found the state's ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional, ruling that the state could not deny the protections, benefits and obligations conferred by civil marriage to two individuals of the same sex who wish to marry. The decision cited the state constitution's ban on the creation of second-class citizens. The court then gave the state 180 days in which to change the law.

Latios

Latios

Experienced
Nov 22, 2020
On November 18, 2003, the Massachusetts Supreme Court found the state's ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional, ruling that the state could not deny the protections, benefits and obligations conferred by civil marriage to two individuals of the same sex who wish to marry. The decision cited the state constitution's ban on the creation of second-class citizens. The court then gave the state 180 days in which to change the law.
Ah, I see what you meant, yes, gay **marriage** was illegal in much of the US until I think around 2013, but being homosexual, and engaging in homosexual activity was legal much earlier (I think like decades earlier). Sorry for the confusion.

And just to be 1000% clear, I personally have no qualms whatsoever with homosexual activity or homosexual marriage. In fact, I have much more of an ethical problem with *hetero*sexual activity/marriage, since that's what brought me to this dumb planet without my consent. :P

• Love
Reactions: wait.what and GarageKarate07
A

ayb

"I'd feel trapped if I couldn't CTB at any time."
Feb 15, 2019
America has many Christian puritans. Every year red states put further restrictions on abortions.

• Love
Reactions: GarageKarate07
GarageKarate07

GarageKarate07

Wizard
Aug 18, 2020
Ah, I see what you meant, yes, gay **marriage** was illegal in much of the US until I think around 2013, but being homosexual, and engaging in homosexual activity was legal much earlier (I think like decades earlier). Sorry for the confusion.

And just to be 1000% clear, I personally have no qualms whatsoever with homosexual activity or homosexual marriage. In fact, I have much more of an ethical problem with *hetero*sexual activity/marriage, since that's what brought me to this dumb planet without my consent. :P
Before legal marriage there were "ceramonies" as a standard to give society the finger.

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I think the U.S. won't have nationwide euthanasia any time soon. The Supreme Court we have today is not the same SC that expanded civil rights 10 or even 5 years ago. All those archconservative darlings have lifetime appointments, too. I think it's more likely that we'll see euthanasia legalized patchwork, a state or two at a time.

It will be interesting to see if the aging Baby Boomer population has any effect on this. This is a generation that has come to expect to get its way in all things, first by being big and loud, and now by being (comparatively) rich. (You may not think your little old grandma is rich, but if she's not drowning in debt and owns her own home free and clear, she basically is.). I don't think they're going to like it much when they're told, "Aww, sweetie, I know you think you want to end your life while you still have your dignity and your marbles, but really, God says you have to see this Alzheimer's thing through to the bitter end. Which is probably us allowing you to starve yourself to death once you're so far gone you forget to eat. Have you tried mindfulness exercises? Maybe going for a walk?"

• Love
Reactions: GarageKarate07 and whitefeather