R

Rocinante

Enlightened
Aug 26, 2022
Legendary author of Dragon Ball and inventor of a medium appreciated globally. Anyone else saddened by this news?

• Aww..
  • Informative
Reactions: sserafim, LoiteringClouds, ForsakenDial and 5 others
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
Very. Dragon Ball was one of my first anime I saw when I was a young child. To this day it's one of my favorites. I am heartbroken.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Homo erectus, skybox and 1 other person
Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Arcanist
Sep 10, 2023
Farewell.

• Aww..
Reactions: Homo erectus and Rocinante
skybox

skybox

Have you ever been jealous of birds?
Mar 6, 2024
I've been crying all morning. His works influenced so many. If it wasn't for him I'm sure half the creatives and mediums we have today wouldn't exist.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Homo erectus, Wojaczek and Rocinante
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I could never get into Dragonball Z but I have fond memories of sitting down to watch the original Dragonball on Toonami after school and getting it confused with this other Journey to the West Chinese animation I also used to watch. RIP to Toriyama-San :aw:

Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Rocinante and Homo erectus
touhoufan

touhoufan

hello! feel free to pm
Feb 14, 2023
While DBZ wasnt something that was necessarily present in my childhood, it's heartwarming to see how many people are commemorating him and mourning his death. Giving props to him for inspiring them to change, to learn, etc. I think it's so nice to see artists being appreciated even in such grim moments. He definitely was a legend and changed the game on his own. He deserves all the praise he's getting

RIP<3

Reactions: LoiteringClouds and Rocinante
LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
I live in Japan and my dad loved Dragon Ball Z! Every time it was on TV my mom recorded it with a video tape recorder. It was 1990s.
Everything flows - including our sorrow, but sometimes time is so slow. RIP.

• Love
Reactions: Rocinante
untothedepths

untothedepths

I'm so scared... I'm cold.
Mar 20, 2023
I'm not immensely sad by the news, but it's bittersweet. The dude left a legacy and highly influenced the industry he works in. He'll be remembered very fondly. It's sad that he did pass on, but he's lived a way better life than I have for a single minute.

Reactions: Rocinante and Homo erectus
K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
Yeah, definitely sad. Especially because he was not that old and it was so sudden. When I first saw the headline I thought it was a hoax or something at first. It took me a little while to take it in.

Obviously the most important thing is that his family and friends will be sad and it's sad for him. But it's also undoubtably sad to me that we will never get another piece of Dragon Ball (after Daima) created by Toriyama himself. I had plenty of criticisms of his writing, but it's undeniable that he had a very unique way of writing these stories.

It's also true though that he leaves behind a huge legacy. You know, millions of people across the world are sad about his passing. And his art and his influence on people's lives and on other creators will endure long passed his death. That doesn't undo death, of course, but to leave behind something that still touches people's lives long after you're gone... that is incredible. And it is something that I wish I could do.

• Love
Reactions: Rocinante