LoNatural

LoNatural

Dogpill Theorist.
Sep 27, 2018
Do you think that the current obsession to make people quit smoking could be related to some kind of political agenda? Sure it's not healthy but It's a great way to stay lean, increase concentration...etc
A great option for those of us who don't give a fuck about life expectancy.
I'm not recommending it by any means, I'm just asking if the concern for smokes is genuine or are they just trying to reduce the healthcare costs.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
There's no real agenda, more a marketing plan.

People started to stop smoking all on their own, and tobacco production costs sky rocketed - hence the profit for governments from smokers got lessened and healthcare costs rose. They can't tax them anymore than they already do, but neither can they lose the tax and VAT cigarettes bring in. So they want to keep smoking going, whilst putting on a pretense they're trying to eradicate it.

The deficits v's profit at the moment are about 50/50. They'll try and stop enough people smoking to get it around 60% profit, and then their schemes will magically disappear for a bit. If everyone stopped smoking overnight, a lot of economies would tank. They want enough people alive long enough to keep subsiding the industry, but not too many or it's not cost efficient.

It's like being a drug dealer, you want junkies going out there stealing to pay for their habit, but you don't want EVERYONE being a junkie or there's nobody left to steal from.

• Love
Reactions: mediocre, LoNatural and Myforevercharlie
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Anti-smoking campaigns often increase smoking, so that is what makes me question the agenda. It seems to be a reverse-psychology thing.

In some countries, there are awful photos on cigarette packs to deter smoking, yet from what I recall reading, I don't have the sources, is that studies have shown people have more of a tendency to smoke when they see the images. From what I understand, there's a human tendency to see the horrible outcomes of taking a risk, and then be more compelled to take it.

• Love
Reactions: LoNatural
deadpixels

deadpixels

Student
May 2, 2020
Anti-smoking campaigns often increase smoking, so that is what makes me question the agenda. It seems to be a reverse-psychology thing.

In some countries, there are awful photos on cigarette packs to deter smoking, yet from what I recall reading, I don't have the sources, is that studies have shown people have more of a tendency to smoke when they see the images. From what I understand, there's a human tendency to see the horrible outcomes of taking a risk, and then be more compelled to take it.
It makes me remember that old joke about the guy who bought a cigarette pack and saw the warning that smoking may cause sexual dysfunction then asked the retailer to give him the one that causes cancer instead.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LoNatural and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
It makes me remember that old joke about the guy who bought a cigarette pack and saw the warning that smoking may cause sexual dysfunction then asked the retailer to give him the one that causes cancer instead.

My favorites are the ones with an image of limp cigarette. I'd buy a whole carton of those if I were given the option. They make me chuckle. Of course, I'm a woman, and guys chuckle at us, too. We're all pretty damn funny if we don't take ourselves too seriously.

• Love
Reactions: LoNatural and deadpixels
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It's like being a drug dealer, you want junkies going out there stealing to pay for their habit, but you don't want EVERYONE being a junkie or there's nobody left to steal from.
Brilliant explanation. :hihi:

Reactions: LoNatural