Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
I've just been thinking lately that it's sort of absurd to completely rule out a life after death. I mean, I've ruled out the kingdoms in the clouds, the burning forever scenarios... but who's to say that that your consciousness cannot arise again in another machine

Let's put it into a similar situation: I don't know exactly how robots work, however I believe if you take one apart so it's no longer a working robot, the essence of the robot is still roboting somewhere out there.

How much sense does it make now? I see no reason to hold that humans are more than organic meat robots.

it's ture that you complelty cease to exist upon death there's nothing of you that remains just a broken machine or ashes

but that doesn't explain how you came to be alive here in the first place, sure some atoms got put together resulting in you, whats to say it can't happen again

nobody knowns whats consciousness is or how it works yet

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, yyytry, The Burning Fool and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yeah- it's true that we don't understand what consciousness is. Still- looking at what we do know- we're alive. Most of us don't remember anything before we were born. Likelihood is- even if a part of us is recycled- the 'stuff' that makes us- us is wiped- our memories and personalities. So- maybe there's less to worry about. If you do come back- chances are, you'll be someone else starting again with no clue about your current life and how much you hated it.

If a computers hard drive is wiped and then put into another computer- is it the same old computer? I mean- it can still do what a computer does but it doesn't have any information stored from it's previous incarnation. I'd say it would behave as new.

I think- because we don't understand what consciousness is- it gets this mythical status. Of course- that could be true. Still- imagine a cave man seeing a battery operated toy. That would look like magic because they didn't understand what electricity was. I wonder if we'll ever find out what consciousness is.

If it's simply a by product of how our brains work though- why would it live on and function separately to our brains? Why aren't we born with a fully developed consciousness and sense of self? Surely- it develops with our brains. Do you suppose it just floats in through the nursery window when we are toddlers? Honestly, I'm baffled too. Dreams are the things that really puzzle me. What the hell are they all about?

Reactions: thedivinezer0, sserafim, yyytry and 1 other person
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I've just been thinking lately that it's sort of absurd to completely rule out a life after death. I mean, I've ruled out the kingdoms in the clouds, the burning forever scenarios... but who's to say that that your consciousness cannot arise again in another machine

Let's put it into a similar situation: I don't know exactly how robots work, however I believe if you take one apart so it's no longer a working robot, the essence of the robot is still roboting somewhere out there.

How much sense does it make now? I see no reason to hold that humans are more than organic meat robots.

it's ture that you complelty cease to exist upon death there's nothing of you that remains just a broken machine or ashes

but that doesn't explain how you came to be alive here in the first place, sure some atoms got put together resulting in you, whats to say it can't happen again

Yeah you probably get reincarnated or something

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Yeah you probably get reincarnated or something
i wouldn't want to take a chance on life ever again i've seen what this universe does to the things it creates and it's absolutely evil, i'd sooner find away to destory the universe

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
i wouldn't want to take a chance on life ever again i've seen what this universe does to the things it creates and it's absolutely evil, i'd sooner find away to destory the universe
Yeah me neither. I heard your higher self ultimately decides though. I also heard that you could get tricked into reincarnating again.

I want to say a big "fuck you!" to my past life self and higher self for making me neurodivergent in this life time

• Hugs
Reactions: EternalShore and Darkover
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
We can also approach it from the perspective of physics. According to our current knowledge, energy can neither be created nor disappear. Energy only changes its form. We have no knowledge of what consciousness really is. Do we have some form of soul? And our bodies are just vessels. Well, that would mean that all animals have souls, because we are animals too. Or maybe only some animals (including humans) have souls? Each answer raises even more questions. I don't think that after death we will receive a clear answer, because that would be too easy. I just hope there isn't total nothingness, because I will be very disappointed.

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Reactions: sserafim and Agon321
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
We can also approach it from the perspective of physics. According to our current knowledge, energy can neither be created nor disappear. Energy only changes its form. We have no knowledge of what consciousness really is. Do we have some form of soul? And our bodies are just vessels. Well, that would mean that all animals have souls, because we are animals too. Or maybe only some animals (including humans) have souls? Each answer raises even more questions. I don't think that after death we will receive a clear answer, because that would be too easy. I just hope there isn't total nothingness, because I will be very disappointed.
I'm pretty sure that animals have souls as well. As for trees and plants though, I'm not sure

Reactions: Agon321
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
Prawo zachowania energii okazało się fałszywe
[ URL rozwija się = "prawda" ] https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/something-from-nothing/[/URL]
This discovery changes the perception of the situation. We can say that quantum physics turns the tables when it comes to our knowledge of physics. Even in the 20th century, some scientists thought that there was relatively little left to discover in physics. But then it turned out that they were wrong and we still don't know much.

Reactions: sserafim and Darkover
passivethought121

passivethought121

Student
Jun 11, 2023
I believe reincarnation is a thing, but also that we retain much less of our personality, or "soul" than most theories suggest. I believe that only a few traits remain when we reincarnate, and of those few, many eventually dissappear due to our environment killing them off.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I believe reincarnation is a thing, but also that we retain much less of our personality, or "soul" than most theories suggest. I believe that only a few traits remain when we reincarnate, and of those few, many eventually dissappear due to our environment killing them off.
What kind of traits? Do you believe in a central soul though? Like in all of your incarnations you possess the same soul, you just incarnate in different forms and bodies, with different personalities as well. Personally, I don't think the soul is our personality, I think the soul is the higher self. I could be wrong though

Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I'm pretty sure that animals have souls as well. As for trees and plants though, I'm not sure
Theoretically, this should be the case. As humanity, we have created a division between humans and animals to make it easier for ourselves (totally understandable), but it does not change the fact that we are animals. So why should a humans be privileged? And we only take our planet into account here, because we must remember that there is a high probability that there are also other beings on other planets.

passivethought121

passivethought121

Student
Jun 11, 2023
What kind of traits? Do you believe in a central soul though? Like in all of your incarnations you possess the same soul, you just incarnate in different forms and bodies, with different personalities as well. Personally, I don't think the soul is our personality, I think the soul is the higher self. I could be wrong though
Traits such as being extremely empathetic, or paying too much attention to detail, or a preference for math, or being a natural leader. Although as I list these, I realize they all can be taught and encouraged the same way they can all be killed.

I do like your idea that the soul is simply the higher self, but then I wonder: what makes up the higher self if not the default personality? My definition of a soul has come from associating the soul with one's personality and values, and all of the people who said "I'm very x, so I was probably Y in my last life."

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Traits such as being extremely empathetic, or paying too much attention to detail, or a preference for math, or being a natural leader. Although as I list these, I realize they all can be taught and encouraged the same way they can all be killed.

I do like your idea that the soul is simply the higher self, but then I wonder: what makes up the higher self if not the default personality? My definition of a soul has come from associating the soul with one's personality and values, and all of the people who said "I'm very x, so I was probably Y in my last life."
Oh yeah true, I guess if you're particularly talented at something you must've known or done it in a past life right? Btw, do you think there's a way to figure out who you were in a past life from these "traits" and "clues"?

I heard that you didn't necessarily have the same personality in each lifetime, but I guess you have some natural traits and affinities for things.

And yeah true, where do you draw the line between the soul and the personality?
Theoretically, this should be the case. As humanity, we have created a division between humans and animals to make it easier for ourselves (totally understandable), but it does not change the fact that we are animals. So why should a humans be privileged? And we only take our planet into account here, because we must remember that there is a high probability that there are also other beings on other planets.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's (intelligent) extraterrestrial life. The universe is too vast for earth to be the only planet with life on it. I think that there must be aliens out there. I wonder if beings on other planets would reincarnate here and vice versa.

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
I believe reincarnation is a thing, but also that we retain much less of our personality, or "soul" than most theories suggest. I believe that only a few traits remain when we reincarnate, and of those few
if reincarnations ture then coming back as any living animal is possible, also existing on other planets that have life on them, i don't believe anything of you will remain after death life is just down to random chance where you are born and what you are born into

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023

Also do you think your preferences are associated with your past life and soul? Like your likes and dislikes?

C

cozse<3

Jun 26, 2023

If there's an afterlife I just hope it's not even worse than this life I've lived

passivethought121

passivethought121

Student
Jun 11, 2023
Also do you think your preferences are associated with your past life and soul? Like your likes and dislikes?

From before, I feel like the force behind reincarnation, whether it be a being or a natural order, made it impossible to decide. Although we're all "unique", we're all pretty similar. Even if your remaining traits matched someone, there'd be a million or so other people who also match with you. And people are too biased so their conclusion would be on who they want to be reincarnated from, whether they did or not.

As for the line between the soul and the personality, I'm not sure. I'd say its the things in your personality that remain constant through life as your personality changes, but there are the instances of complete changes.