Oct 27, 2020
Like my therapist for instance.

Reactions: b&w
UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
Most likely, yes.

Here in the states, death notices are required by all 50 states. These are a matter of public record and can be easily searched on any computer.

It might take a while due to COVID (one of a friend in Wisconsin recently took almost 3 weeks) but they will eventually be published.

It is very, very difficult to die without anyone noticing.

Reactions: Isadeth
x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Always give 100% - unless you’re donating blood.
Sep 10, 2020
In UK, no, unless you declare it on social media yourself.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Most likely, yes.

Here in the states, death notices are required by all 50 states. These are a matter of public record and can be easily searched on any computer.

It might take a while due to COVID (one of a friend in Wisconsin recently took almost 3 weeks) but they will eventually be published.

Let's say your name was Mary Smith. All I would have to do is google your name or what?

Would cause of death and location be on there?

plough22

plough22

Living but not really, just surviving
May 1, 2020
What do you care who knows outside family/friends, as you will dead so it doesn't matter. Do you really think therapists give a a flying, next customer please and same for acquaintances, you are forgotten about but you don't care cause peace is what you found.

Reactions: Nymph, lostmyhope and x~Sophia~x
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
yes absolutely nowadays with the online obituaries and the sites like legacy.com you are gonna have a page forever. unfortunately there is no opt out of the mass surveillance/"always online" dystopia system for 99% of the population

The best way to avoid this problem is to disappear and CTB in a very remote part of earth. But if you have even one soul who cares about you they will probably make a page online dedicated to finding you so people will know you are atleast missing.

Teal_Blue_Dreams

Teal_Blue_Dreams

Arcanist
Sep 15, 2020
Most likely, yes.

thanks for advising. do they list the cause of death?

S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
In US not all states are an open record state. Only relatives may request in certain states. If the obituary is published without the gruesome details in a closed record state and people don't post around what happened on the social media dystopia then it would be hard to find out easily

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Your family usually writes the obituary, so it all depends on what they decide to write. That's not something that's just automatically generated for everyone who dies.

And if there is an obituary, that usually comes up if you search the person. That's how I found out a friend of mine had died several years ago. His family forgot to tell me, and I stumbled on the obituary when I was googling him one day.

But technically your death certificate is public information but someone has to go digging for it.

Reactions: SuicidallyCurious
Teal_Blue_Dreams

Teal_Blue_Dreams

Arcanist
Sep 15, 2020
Your family usually writes the obituary, so it all depends on what they decide to write. That's not something that's just automatically generated for everyone who dies.

And if there is an obituary, that usually comes up if you search the person. That's how I found out a friend of mine had died several years ago. His family forgot to tell me, and I stumbled on the obituary when I was googling him one day.

But technically your death certificate is public information but someone has to go digging for it.
Thanks for explaining this to me! I hate that it's public info. For my family's sake, I would want that info out there, ya know?
In US not all states are an open record state. Only relatives may request in certain states. If the obituary is published without the gruesome details in a closed record state and people don't post around what happened on the social media dystopia then it would be hard to find out easily
Thank you for responding! I'm glad to know this. I just don't want my family to have to deal with any bs ON TOP of my suicide. Know what I mean?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: k75
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Thanks for explaining this to me! I hate that it's public info. For my family's sake, I would want that info out there, ya know?

Basically, there are two ways that info would be made readily available to the public: if you ended up in the news/newspaper or if someone included it in your obituary.

You won't really be newsworthy unless you are somehow famous or noteworthy or you cause some sort of spectacle. If you just die quietly and there's nothing sensational about you or your method, you're not going to attract that sort of attention. If you live in a small town or something, it may get some attention, but bigger places generally only care if other people are involved, it's murder, or you kill yourself in a really bizarre way. An easy way to judge is just pay attention to that kind of thing and you'll see what gets reported.

All you can really do is request that nobody do the obituary (or say what you want in it) and hope they respect that or write one yourself and hope they use it. Obituaries tend to gloss over the specifics and say things like so and so died suddenly or unexpectedly or something like that. Your family isn't going to put anything in it that they don't want other people to know about.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Teal_Blue_Dreams
Teal_Blue_Dreams

Teal_Blue_Dreams

Arcanist
Sep 15, 2020
awesome. thanks for the additional details. this was SUPER helpful!

• Hugs
Reactions: k75
Apathy's Girl

Apathy's Girl

Student
Jul 20, 2020
From the obituaries ive read most don't list cause of death.

T

Tired_Tired

Student
Nov 25, 2019
If you posted your Facebook or Instagram use name. People in SS may be interested, but it may violate the SS rules. In short, no one care except your close friends and family. I remembered one girl in Nursing school been murdered by her boyfriend because of jealousy(CBS 48 hours). Her Facebook didn't have any updates since she is dead.