M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
Choosing a method for suicide is a complicated and personal process. There are many things to consider: practical factors (e.g. can I get my hands on the required materials?) moral factors (e.g. has this the potential to traumatize bystanders?), but also aesthetic factors. For some it is important that their corpse does not look too gruesome after their attempt succeded. Some may want to make some sort of statement by choosing a particularly violent method. And some methods may be perceived differently because of the way they are portrayed in novels and other media.

When choosing a method, have you included aesthetic considerations in your reasoning? If so, what are they?

Edit: I just noticed that the way I phrased this, it reads like a 10th grade essay question hahaha Next time I'll include a min word count for you :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: flowers in the mist, figurehead, conquest_gold and 5 others
february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
If it was just me alone, I wouldn't care about making it super gruesome. Unfortunately I have to worry about my family, so for their sake, I don't want to blow off my own head or anything like that. I guess that's more of a "morality" reason than one of aesthetics though.

Ultimately I want to be cremated so I guess it doesn't really matter though. I just don't want my body to remain here after I've already left, I want every trace of "myself" completely gone

• Hugs
Reactions: silentnights56, Joarga and hi-okbye
M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
Ultimately I want to be cremated so I guess it doesn't really matter though. I just don't want my body to remain here after I've already left, I want every trace of "myself" completely gone
Absolutely agree. It just feels sooo much cleaner than the thought that my body will be rotting in some grave, slowly decomposing

• Love
Reactions: silentnights56 and february in alaska
dreamingofrest

dreamingofrest

so, so tired
Nov 7, 2023
Absolutely agree. It just feels sooo much cleaner than the thought that my body will be rotting in some grave, slowly decomposing
That's exactly why I want cremation too, that and it being less expensive.

Reactions: murun_b
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I would want to go in a peaceful way and I want to be cremated and I want every picture and evidence that I existed destroyed and disposed of but I doubt those items will be destroyed

before the time comes I would shave and pluck off all of my hair and do excessive and bizarre and unnecessary grooming practices

I have some strange thought that will erase who you were before and what you've experienced before you go and that it will make the body default or something I cannot explain it but I find the thought interesting

but I think that could progress to something more extreme for some people who have the same odd belief or people who have personal experiences when it comes to worrying about contamination or dealing with trichotillomania or dermatillomania

but I have wondered for a while now if some people have superstitions or rituals like that in mind for when the time comes or presents itself

• Love
Reactions: PoshPorcupine and murun_b
M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
I would want to go in a peaceful way and I want to be cremated and I want every picture and evidence that I existed destroyed and disposed of but I doubt those items will be destroyed

before the time comes I would shave and pluck off all of my hair and do excessive and bizarre and unnecessary grooming practices

I have some strange thought that will erase who you were before and what you've experienced before you go and that it will make the body default or something I cannot explain it but I find the thought interesting

but I think that could progress to something more extreme for some people who have the same odd belief or people who have personal experiences when it comes to worrying about contamination or dealing with trichotillomania or dermatillomania

but I have wondered for a while now if some people have superstitions or rituals like that in mind for when the time comes or presents itself
That's an interesting thought. I don't think I can really emotionally grasp the intuition or appeal behind this. I believe I'd prefer a smooth transition from who I currently am into a state of non-being without any disruption along the way. But it's cool to hear how other people feel and that you think this might give you some form of closure by helping you disassociate from your past (if I understand you correctly)

Reactions: psp3000
KSZ

KSZ

Dec 3, 2023
When I do it, I don't think I would do it for aesthetics. It's too much even to consider to add the aesthetics to it. It's going to be one hell of a pain, if you try to make it look good and all.

tinyghost

tinyghost

go home at dawn sleep in the sun
Sep 13, 2023
i want to jump off a local bridge. the scenery there is beautiful so thats part of why i want to die there. ive been drawn to more violent methods i guess (i tried hanging in the past) but thats just because theyre more effective and accessible. i dont care what my body looks like after im gone or anything like that.

M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
the scenery there is beautiful so thats part of why i want to die there.
I hope the beauty of the place can provide you some comfort, should you decide that this is really the way for you ♥️

Leavesfromthevine

Leavesfromthevine

Untreated Trauma
Nov 23, 2023
I don't care a ton about my body once I'm gone but I don't want my head gone or anything like that so I won't go by shotgun or train. Not only for whoever will find me but since I won't have control of my funeral I would want my body looking as normal as possible. As the days go on though the less I care so who knows how I'll end up going, I just want everything to end.

P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
That's an interesting thought. I don't think I can really emotionally grasp the intuition or appeal behind this. I believe I'd prefer a smooth transition from who I currently am into a state of non-being without any disruption along the way. But it's cool to hear how other people feel and that you think this might give you some form of closure by helping you disassociate from your past (if I understand you correctly)

when I think about it some more it probably has to do with how interested I am/was when it comes to death practices and rituals around the world and from different time periods (was very interested in that when it came to Egyptology when I was younger) and superstitions associated with death such as covering mirrors and making sure not to leave doors and windows open after someone has died (also unrelated but I like your pfp)

kittyswift

kittyswift

getting tired even for a phoenix..
Sep 29, 2023
not really? i think im more worried about the efficiency and it being as peaceful as i can make it. im a little bit worried about who will find me but it wouldnt put me off of a method

Reactions: PoshPorcupine
I

innerentropy

"Non placet? Licet eo reverti unde venisti"
Jul 8, 2023
I would shoot myself without hesitation and I wouldn't care about anything.

Reactions: PoshPorcupine
M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
how interested I am/was when it comes to death practices and rituals around the world and from different time periods
That's cool! Amazing what human communities come up with to make things like death seem meaningful and provide some standardized rules for how to deal with it

also unrelated but I like your pfp
Aww, thanks 🥰 It's from this meme I saw on Twitter and I thought describes my current mental state quite well hahaha

Silly 1

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: hi-okbye and psp3000
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
I intend to cause as much trauma,pain,chaos,mess as possible. Fuck the world! Enjoy the mess fuckers!

notori

notori

Nov 26, 2023
I love my family a lot, the screams I heard out of my mom during my first attempt that was in a gruesome way still echos in my head and haunts me. If I could hang myself without my family having to be the ones that find me hanging or be the ones have to cut me down or witness someone else having to do it, I would've done it by now. My mom already lost her mom to suicide and it pains me to imagine putting her through that again, so I don't want to leave a mess and traumatize her and the rest of my family more then I have already. OD is my preferred method, that's how my grandma went as well…it would leave less of a mess and just my corpse.

• Love
pochii

pochii

May 27, 2023
I very much worry about the people that will find me so I really do not wanna make it look gruesome. But it isss very interesting about the aesthetics because for me the ideal cercumstance would be alone in in my room all comfy with stuffed animals, blankets, snacks, and my favorite tv show on a small tv. I like the sight of blood on me and dont mind people seeing that but in a weird way id love it if i was found in my happy place, not somewhere like the bottom of a bridge.

• Love
Reactions: murun_b and PoshPorcupine
Miku _fanboy101

Miku _fanboy101

Rahhhh
Oct 23, 2023
I want my body to be recognized and pretty because if I'm not pretty then what the fuck? I should die with a gross puddle and pretty body.

• Love
Reactions: murun_b, PoshPorcupine and hi-okbye
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
I do choose aesthetic considerations, which is why I am against guns, falling, getting hit by a train, and SN (look up images of SN body online, or don't). The prettiest way is CO, which makes your skin a rosy red.

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
i don't want to look too gruesome, but mostly for my family and my funeral. the longer i've been taking/waiting to ctb, the less i've cared honestly. i've been waiting so long and i just want to be gone at this point.

it's the same thing for me actually. i want to be completly groomed and cleaned before i ctb. paint my nails and everything. i think it's for several reasons though. weirdly i have this idea/worry that i'm going to see the people i love (that have also died) when i die. i want to look nice for them i guess, especially my partner.
i also just want to look nice after i pass. it bothers me enough that i'll most likely get an autopsy done, and either way the medical person is going to see me naked. i know they probably have seen hundreds of naked bodies in the past and genuinely don't care, but it still bothers me for some reason.

i'm not entirely sure what your talking about in the second section, but i get it a little bit if that makes sense.
i've struggled with ocd (contamination) for a long time. i've also had dermatillomania for a number of years, and i do think in some ways that plays a roll in my processes before i ctb.
I want my body to be recognized and pretty because if I'm not pretty then what the fuck? I should die with a gross puddle and pretty body.
honestly yes. i love this and totally agree.

Reactions: murun_b and psp3000
melancholia_melodia

melancholia_melodia

Nov 29, 2023
I would choose to dress as attractively as possible and find a beautiful place to die in!

• Hugs
Reactions: hi-okbye, murun_b and PoshPorcupine
PoshPorcupine

PoshPorcupine

Still wanna kms
Oct 30, 2023
I very much worry about the people that will find me so I really do not wanna make it look gruesome. But it isss very interesting about the aesthetics because for me the ideal cercumstance would be alone in in my room all comfy with stuffed animals, blankets, snacks, and my favorite tv show on a small tv. I like the sight of blood on me and dont mind people seeing that but in a weird way id love it if i was found in my happy place, not somewhere like the bottom of a bridge.
I was just thinking about this today, how nice it'd be to pass away in my own bed. It'll look like I'm taking a little nap lol