• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

WearyWanderer

WearyWanderer

Student
Nov 3, 2019
So I recently(ish) discovered that I have a spinal cord injury which is incurable.

I was originally going to drown but after investigating my options there are some major risks of failure / rescue.

I read a research article stating that a large percentage of SCI suicides are caused by gunshot and this is also my #1 method, just infuriatingly difficult to achieve now.

I would clear a background check easily, no issues there.

But my problem is this: I am currently too disabled to go on my own to purchase a gun. In my state, there are also stricter regulations on obtaining a firearm and there must be an FFL involved at some point.

My questions:

If I were able to travel to an FFL to buy a gun, would it raise a red flag that I am in a wheelchair and obviously in pain? I need to find a way to get a gun without raising any concerns from the seller.

I have read of a couple of alternate ways to get a gun but can't go into details on this post.

If anyone has any specific recommendations on how it could be possible for me to obtain a gun, could you please PM me?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
L

lifeisbutadream

Wizard
Oct 4, 2018
People in wheelchairs especially need a gun for self protection so that alone should not raide a red flag unless your pain is very evident. I met one fellow who had a concealed holster built into his wheelchair arm.

While not a weapon that can be readily carried in a wheelchair, a shotgun is often much easier to buy than a handgun, as well as being most effective. Even Walmart still sells them, and depending upon where you live may require minimum red tape. You would want a short barreled shotgun "for home defense", not one for hunting.

Pain is such a terrible terrible thing. I am so sorry.

• Hugs
Reactions: Theregoesthatidea, WearyWanderer and TAW122
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Assuming you're in the US it shouldn't be too difficult to get a gun. Long guns (rifles/shotguns) are normally easier than handguns. You'll have to fill out the form so watch what the questions are because some could trip you up and flag the purchase. If you need a FFL (Federal Firearm License) those were $500 before but I think are up to 1k? I never got one since I wasn't selling or getting full-auto stuff. There shouldn't be any restrictions on wheelchair users, I knew a guy who went to a local range all the time. It's probably best to avoid buying if not through a dealer. People could be selling hot guns that if anything goes wrong you also get to answer for possession of the firearm.

Reactions: TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think you should be fine to be able to go to a FFL dealer and buy a firearm based on what you mentioned. If they ask a reason for it, say that you need one for self-defense especially when you are in a wheelchair. Feel free to shop around the ones you know of and if they don't want to sell to you, then go to another city/town to find one that will. I'm confident that there will at least be one or two that would be willing to do so.

People in wheelchairs especially need a gun for self protection so that alone should not raide a red flag unless your pain is very evident. I met one fellow who had a concealed holster built into his wheelchair arm.

While not a weapon that can be readily carried in a wheelchair, a shotgun is often much easier to buy than a handgun, as well as being most effective. Even Walmart still sells them, and depending upon where you live may require minimum red tape. You would want a short barreled shotgun "for home defense", not one for hunting.

Pain is such a terrible terrible thing. I am so sorry.
As far as a short barreled shotgun (SBS) is concerned, it is an NFA item, meaning that one would have to go through additional hoops, including paying an additional $200 tax stamp, more extensive background check and screening before they are approved. I don't know the extent of OP's SCI, is it just the legs or both arms and legs? I don't mean to be insensitive, but this is an important consideration because if both arms and legs are severely crippled, then it may be more difficult to operate a shotgun (you would need two hands to do it). Overall, I do agree a shotgun is more lethal and higher chance of death compared to a handgun (provided that appropriate cartridges/shells are used, 00 buckshot/slugs).

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
WearyWanderer

WearyWanderer

Student
Nov 3, 2019
I think you should be fine to be able to go to a FFL dealer and buy a firearm based on what you mentioned. If they ask a reason for it, say that you need one for self-defense especially when you are in a wheelchair. Feel free to shop around the ones you know of and if they don't want to sell to you, then go to another city/town to find one that will. I'm confident that there will at least be one or two that would be willing to do so.

As far as a short barreled shotgun (SBS) is concerned, it is an NFA item, meaning that one would have to go through additional hoops, including paying an additional $200 tax stamp, more extensive background check and screening before they are approved. I don't know the extent of OP's SCI, is it just the legs or both arms and legs? I don't mean to be insensitive, but this is an important consideration because if both arms and legs are severely crippled, then it may be more difficult to operate a shotgun (you would need two hands to do it). Overall, I do agree a shotgun is more lethal and higher chance of death compared to a handgun (provided that appropriate cartridges/shells are used, 00 buckshot/slugs).

Thanks for your input, throwaway. That's a good point about trying different stores although hopefully it's work at the first one bc someone else will be driving me but I honestly don't think (fingers crossed) my driver will catch on because of past experiences.

No offense taken at all, arm and leg function is a very legitimate consideration. I am able to use both arms still, yes, although I do have a slight right hand tremor, drop things a lot and have always had some issues with coordination due to a sensory / proprioception disorder.

But an SBS could still be feasible. Just harder to hide from my family once I get it home...

And damn for some reason I thought a handgun would work. A handgun definitely feels less threatening visually / psychologically, probably because they're always used in (misleading) movies. It also seems easier to control as someone with no prior experience with guns but it sounds like semiautomatic handguns / pistols are too risky / too high a chance of survival? I see most other posters have already answered "yes" to this question and pointed out that shotguns are easier to get, so don't mind this part of my post I guess, it's just venting and wishful thinking. *sigh*

I shouldn't have waited this long to gather supplies because I'm almost not sure if I have the energy to complete all the steps now but all this information is very helpful, so thank you.

I've also referred to many of your posts in the past about gun method details and research while researching this method and have found it immensely helpful. Which you probably can't tell from me wishing I could use a handgun lol but unfortunately my memory's not the best lately.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Thanks for your input, throwaway. That's a good point about trying different stores although hopefully it's work at the first one bc someone else will be driving me but I honestly don't think (fingers crossed) my driver will catch on because of past experiences.

No offense taken at all, arm and leg function is a very legitimate consideration. I am able to use both arms still, yes, although I do have a slight right hand tremor, drop things a lot and have always had some issues with coordination due to a sensory / proprioception disorder.

But an SBS could still be feasible. Just harder to hide from my family once I get it home...

And damn for some reason I thought a handgun would work. A handgun definitely feels less threatening visually / psychologically, probably because they're always used in (misleading) movies. It also seems easier to control as someone with no prior experience with guns but it sounds like semiautomatic handguns / pistols are too risky / too high a chance of survival? I see most other posters have already answered "yes" to this question and pointed out that shotguns are easier to get, so don't mind this part of my post I guess, it's just venting and wishful thinking. *sigh*

I shouldn't have waited this long to gather supplies because I'm almost not sure if I have the energy to complete all the steps now but all this information is very helpful, so thank you.

I've also referred to many of your posts in the past about gun method details and research while researching this method and have found it immensely helpful. Which you probably can't tell from me wishing I could use a handgun lol but unfortunately my memory's not the best lately.
Thanks for your remark and for handguns (as well as shotguns), it depends on shot placement and caliber/round used. A shotgun with small pellets is more likely to be less than lethal than 00 buckshot for instance. A handgun with a weak caliber (22lr, 17hms, or other simliarly less powerful rounds is also problematic.).

If you are using a handgun, 9mm hollow points, .45 ACP (may have more recoil so be wary of that too), 357 magnum would all be sufficient. Hollow points because they dump more energy at the targeted area, resulting in more comprehensive damage than FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) rounds. This is also why people who conceal carry for self-defense oftenly go for hollow point rounds than FMJ as it does more damage to whatever it hits, whereas the FMJ just hits the target and passes through. Furthermore, HP rounds less likely for overpenetrating, thus lessening the worry of collateral damage.

melancholy_lily

melancholy_lily

May 21, 2020
You can get a 357 magnum handgun with hollow point bullets. In my research that gun seems completely sufficient, it's what I plan to use. Famously, Bud Dwyer used one to ctb at a press conference. Don't put it to your chin or temple, better chances in the mouth. Read the firearms megathread here for more info.

Reactions: Euthanza, pthnrdnojvsc and WearyWanderer
L

lifeisbutadream

Wizard
Oct 4, 2018

As far as a short barreled shotgun (SBS) is concerned, it is an NFA item, meaning that one would have to go through additional hoops, including paying an additional $200 tax stamp, more extensive background check and screening before they are approved
. I don't know the extent of OP's SCI, is it just the legs or both arms and legs? I don't mean to be insensitive, but this is an important consideration because if both arms and legs are severely crippled, then it may be more difficult to operate a shotgun (you would need two hands to do it). Overall, I do agree a shotgun is more lethal and higher chance of death compared to a handgun (provided that appropriate cartridges/shells are used, 00 buckshot/slugs).

Shotgun barrels 18 inches and longer are perfectly legal and are the common size for home defense.