S

Shewaitsforme

Arcanist
Sep 23, 2018
Has anyone thought or discussed with their doctor having an advance directive? Ive been reserching refusal of treatment incase im found. Basically i know an ambulance would be called and upon seeing its me they may try to administer life saving treatment (if im not 100% dead by then as i work with them.) Ive seen that it does revolve around mental capacity which the doctors do agree i have full capacity but in the case of suicide im not sure the directive would stand. I just dont want to end up like a vegitable if i fail for whatever reason so trying to cover all basis.

Reactions: felix, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Lifeisatrap
Empty RN

Empty RN

Student
Oct 25, 2018
Ensure where you do it you won't be found. If you are found, an advanced directive wouldn't matter much

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Lifeisatrap
S

Shewaitsforme

Arcanist
Sep 23, 2018
Ensure where you do it you won't be found. If you are found, an advanced directive wouldn't matter much

That is the plan of course not to be found at all but i just want to cover myself 100% also i think it would help at inquest especially in making sure there is no ambiguity on what my intentions were. Basically my oartner died in a hotel and its noted her intentions were unclear so its left a huge WHY. I dont want that, of course i will also write a suicide note but working in emergency medicine myself and seeing these advance directives has me thinking would they stand in suicidal cases. Its nit a question i want to ask my collegues incase it rouses questions as to my future plans.

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
As an EMT, unless there was a DNR taped to the headboard of the bed, we would be trying to resucitate no matter what. That was our job; deciding the patient's intentions or wishes was above our pay grade.

An advanced directive is just a good idea in general. I know it only kicks in once you're in the hospital, but it does add clarity to the situation.

S

Shewaitsforme

Arcanist
Sep 23, 2018
As an EMT, unless there was a DNR taped to the headboard of the bed, we would be trying to resucitate no matter what. That was our job; deciding the patient's intentions or wishes was above our pay grade.

An advanced directive is just a good idea in general. I know it only kicks in once you're in the hospital, but it does add clarity to the situation.

I work for the ambulance service too, treating patients and driving. Our patients with an AD or DNAR we dont touch aslong as its the original, if they die on route we pull over and literally just be there for them we arnt allowed to treat as per the advance directive. So, i know they wouldnt be able to touch me just wondered in the case of suicide would that overrule the signed paperwork. At time of getting it i wouldn have been deemed to have full capacity but as people think suicide is irrational.

Im under NWAS, must be different where you are. Good to hear from someone in a similar job.