LivingDeadGirl

LivingDeadGirl

Sep 4, 2020
This is something I've struggled with for 20 plus years. Anyone else? Feel like I'm a freak for doing what I do in my 30's.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: ocd is bad, Acopia, allym101 and 9 others
justpeachy

justpeachy

I’m haunted by the bottle & death on my breath.
Sep 6, 2020
I hadn't done it in a very long time (i'm in my early 30s) and recently started again in the last 5 months. A lot of turmoil in my marriage, relapse on drugs (new drug of choice this time though, amphetamines vs opiates) and when I can't deal with my anger or sadness I'll cut my thighs. I was doing my arms for awhile but then I moved somewhere where it's 110 degrees in summer and even now it's 90 still so I would die in long sleeves so I switched to thighs and stomach. My husband hates it and I've scarred my thighs and arms up pretty bad and I am deeply ashamed of it.

• Hugs
Reactions: allym101, LivingDeadGirl, Hennessy and 4 others
N

Nurse T

Student
Aug 23, 2020
I self harm and I'm 37, it all started 5 years ago, I have very bad scars in the corner of my elbows as I'm a nurse and was going for brachial artery, had to have blood transfusions a couple of times. Now Iv moved to my lower abdomen, no one is a freak at any age I'm doing it, it's very personal and a coping strategy just try to do it safely. I went a year without doing it and relapsed a couple months ago when the thoughts of CTB returned it has bought me time.

• Hugs
Reactions: LivingDeadGirl, Hennessy, Stick and 2 others
make_00

make_00

Jul 3, 2020
I just turned 25, also just lost sensation on my upper arm from cutting down to my tendon and severing nerves on the 6th

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: ocd is bad, less than, LivingDeadGirl and 4 others
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
Self harm is a terrible habit but it doesn't make you a freak. It's a tough habit to break. Started when I was about 12 and I thought I managed to give it up because I stayed clean for several years. I'm now mid 20s and I recently caved and started again. I'm not exactly proud of it.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: specklenought, ocd is bad, LivingDeadGirl and 4 others
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I do on and off, late 30's. but my blades are too blunt, my arms are covered in scars, I have no shame in them, its part of the journey I have walked.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: ocd is bad, allym101, LivingDeadGirl and 4 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I'm 30 and have been self harming since my early teens. It's the only way I know how to cope with feelings now. You're not a freak at all, many people here understand how you feel.

• Hugs
Reactions: less than, allym101, LivingDeadGirl and 4 others
catscradle

catscradle

Now I will destroy the whole world
Jul 10, 2020
26, I've been doing it on and off for years.

• Hugs
Reactions: LivingDeadGirl, Hennessy and Deleted member 19654
LivingDeadGirl

LivingDeadGirl

Sep 4, 2020
In a strange way its comforting to know im not alone. Its sad that this is how so many of us cope but i guess its just what we know. Media and society discuss teens who SI but never adults. Always made me feel like I was even crazier for having a "childs problem" in my 30s.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 19654
J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
Late forties, doing it on and off for 30+ years

not4us

not4us

Experienced
Sep 21, 2019
Men also self harm? Or is it only women thing?

blackdogs

blackdogs

Oct 10, 2020
I'm 25 and have just recently started again. I'm lucky the weather is cooling down for my long sleeve shirts and jackets. You aren't a freak for doing it this shit is hard to kick

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Men also self harm? Or is it only women thing?
Men do it too. Much like depression it doesn't really care about much.

Reactions: not4us
specklenought

specklenought

Internet Cry Baby
Oct 2, 2020
I started when I was was 7? got caught at 10, stopped for a bit then started again in my teens but was very obvious (the whole big collection of bracelets sort of vibe) then stopped after parental intervention at around 17. I recently started again a year ago, but I feel like age has made it worse because its so hidden now. It's exhausting. I think as a teen I didn't care if people saw because it was effectively a way to signal to people I was in distress. It still kind of is. Now I'm so terrified of being perceived as attention-seeking or overreacting that I hide it to the point that no one knows. It's like a push & pull you cannot win. But its the oldest strategy I have to handle pain so its hard to rewire yourself to alternatives.