S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023
Everywhere I go and everywhere I scroll just bombard me with non-stop constant advertisements and it's finally starting to take its toll on me.

I see a pretty trolly- oh wait there's a big ad on it that ruins the photo I wanted to take of it. I scroll through my email and oh no, more ads because I HAD to use my email when I ordered food. I try to listen a song when I'm lost in horrible thoughts and you guessed it, MORE ADS!

It doesn't stop!!! They're everywhere. My online footprint is screwed up due to my previous mental maturity and my current mental health crisis so god damn is this not helping me. Everything is becoming so corporate and I can't stand it anymore. It very much so does not help with my current outlook on my life and the current state of this world.

How are people just okay with this??? It's genuinely affecting me

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Slow_Farewell, Melly, Inthewind and 12 others
d3j3ct3dl0s3r05

d3j3ct3dl0s3r05

i am so lainpilled :3 (? days left)
Apr 15, 2023
I've noticed this with mobile games lately. Like I use simple games like 2048, tetris and nonograms to cope when I get overwhelmed by life but the constant ads every 5 seconds certainly don't help. To curb this, I have to turn off my internet but then I just end up getting stressed over potentially missing out on important notifications. Youtube is pretty awful with this too but Newpipe is pretty good

Reactions: Decided98, lavender143once, FreeMind and 3 others
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
Everywhere I go and everywhere I scroll just bombard me with non-stop constant advertisements and it's finally starting to take its toll on me.

I see a pretty trolly- oh wait there's a big ad on it that ruins the photo I wanted to take of it. I scroll through my email and oh no, more ads because I HAD to use my email when I ordered food. I try to listen a song when I'm lost in horrible thoughts and you guessed it, MORE ADS!

It doesn't stop!!! They're everywhere. My online footprint is screwed up due to my previous mental maturity and my current mental health crisis so god damn is this not helping me. Everything is becoming so corporate and I can't stand it anymore. It very much so does not help with my current outlook on my life and the current state of this world.

I hate that stuff too. It's everywhere more obnoxiously nowadays and the ones on YouTube and Spotify are arguably worse than on radio and TV. I think there should be something done about it like they did in the old times where they made a law where you can't have shows that are basically commercials and I personally think the Emoji Movie made this even worse bc it's basically Advertisements: the movie

Reactions: FreeMind, suicidal flapper, d3j3ct3dl0s3r05 and 1 other person
DeadlineDialer

DeadlineDialer

Traversing the grid of death
Sep 20, 2023
I feel the same way when I'm going through the daily motions and I suddenly remember I'm a conscious being with thoughts. I look around and it just serves as another grim reminder of what we've let life come to.

It's a side effect of everything in life becoming a packaged commodity or good to be sold. It seeps into everything, monetary gain infests every aspect of living like a cancer. For many, money and making it is the only reason they continue living their shallow lives. We are nothing but walking dollars to them, and they'll do anything to squeeze whatever they can out of you. Many have noticed the same thing has happened to mental healthcare and the like. therapists want cash, not lost customers. Pharmaceuticals want dependence, not solutions. It's in everything, and it's almost mocking the way you can't walk down the street without being reminded every second and gamed like a bumbling animal.

This modern world and the way we're supposed to operate in it is truly one of the most infernal nightmares I've had the displeasure of being thrust into. If there's a hell below, I'd still be more terrified of what we've created here for the living.

Reactions: x0nSS, lavender143once, FreeMind and 4 others
S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023
I hate that stuff too. It's everywhere more obnoxiously nowadays and the ones on YouTube and Spotify are arguably worse than on radio and TV. I think there should be something done about it like they did in the old times where they made a law where you can't have shows that are basically commercials and I personally think the Emoji Movie made this even worse bc it's basically Advertisements: the movie
Yeah there really should be laws but we all know why there isn't

🫠

I feel the same way when I'm going through the daily motions and I suddenly remember I'm a conscious being with thoughts. I look around and it just serves as another grim reminder of what we've let life come to.

It's a side effect of everything in life becoming a packaged commodity or good to be sold. It seeps into everything, monetary gain infests every aspect of living like a cancer. For many, money and making it is the only reason they continue living their shallow lives. We are nothing but walking dollars to them, and they'll do anything to squeeze whatever they can out of you. Many have noticed the same thing has happened to mental healthcare and the like. therapists want cash, not lost customers. Pharmaceuticals want dependence, not solutions. It's in everything, and it's almost mocking the way you can't walk down the street without being reminded every second and gamed like a bumbling animal.

This modern world and the way we're supposed to operate in it is truly one of the most infernal nightmares I've had the displeasure of being thrust into. If there's a hell below, I'd still be more terrified of what we've created here for the living.
This feeling of being boxed into a monetary game is something that really messes with me as well. Imagine how much progress our society could have if we didn't build our institutions on profit and gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeMind and DeadlineDialer
DeadlineDialer

DeadlineDialer

Traversing the grid of death
Sep 20, 2023

🫠

This feeling of being boxed into a monetary game is something that really messes with me as well. Imagine how much progress our society could have if we didn't build our institutions on profit and gain.
It's a shame that selfishness is an unavoidable condition hardcoded into human nature. People will always cut one another down to be on top, otherwise we'd probably have a utopia and a reason to live lol.

Reactions: FreeMind and Rogue Proxy
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
Yeah, I just remember when they made a law that banned shows targeting children that are just ads in disguise. I think there should be more done to expand on that.

Reactions: lavender143once, FreeMind and DeadlineDialer
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
We could solve thousands of problems that we currently have, but it seems that selling is more important

Reactions: lavender143once, FreeMind, suicidal flapper and 2 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I suggest using an adblocker.

Reactions: Skathon, FreeMind, carac and 3 others
S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023
I suggest using an adblocker.
As of right now I can't because I only have a phone and my computer's hard drive got corrupted and I can't fix it for a long time due to having to save for gender surgery

I love living

• Hugs
Reactions: DeadlineDialer, lavender143once, FreeMind and 1 other person
avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
Here are some solutions worth considering.
  • Use the internet browser Brave. It helps you block ads and stops websites from tracking you in most cases.
  • Take a moment to go through your e-mail inbox. Check each e-mail that looks like spam.
    • First, check if the footer contains a link that allows you to unsubscribe to the newsletters/spam.
    • If there's no link, mark the e-mail as spam in your e-mail program.
  • Go to your e-mail app/program and enable "block external images". The sender of an e-mail can check if you opened an e-mail if you load the images. Some spammers use such a tracker to help verify whether an e-mail is in use. If they know the e-mail is in use, it goes on the "send more spam" list.
  • If you receive robocalls or any calls with advertisements, go to your phone app settings and enable spam protection. Perhaps restrict your incoming calls to from contacts only.
  • Don't open, read or answer e-mails, calls and texts that you think are from spammers.
And here are some more unusual things that I do to keep my contact information private.
  • I have my own e-mail domain (e.g. [email protected]) and have all my e-mails redirected to one inbox. This allows me to use a different e-mail for each website/account that I create. For example, I would use [email protected]for this website. If I receive any spam then I know from which website it's coming. Then I can simply block that e-mail address and maybe take additional steps.
    • Once I received a fake "you have been hacked" e-mail. Because I use a unique e-mail address for each website/account, I immediately knew which website leaked my e-mail address. I contacted and they denied everything of course, but at least I was able to simply disable that e-mail address.
    • One downside is this trick fails if you use website A to log in on website B. For example, some websites offer logging in using your Google account. Doing this may result in my [email protected] e-mail address being leaked to website B.
  • Use a temporary e-mail to sign up for websites if you don't want to receive any e-mails from them. For example, forums and web-games and any website that requires your e-mail address just to continue browsing.
  • I have a second phone number that I use for signing up for websites unless it's an important account in which case I use my primary phone number. I use this SIM card in my old phone and the SIM cost me €0 because it's prepaid. Ordering this SIM was free too because they expect to make their money when you buy prepaid credits which I don't.
Edit: take these suggestions from someone who rarely receives any spam. :D

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Skathon, DeadlineDialer, FreeMind and 4 others
S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023
Here are some solutions worth considering.
  • Use the internet browser Brave. It helps you block ads and stops websites from tracking you in most cases.
  • Take a moment to go through your e-mail inbox. Check each e-mail that looks like spam.
    • First, check if the footer contains a link that allows you to unsubscribe to the newsletters/spam.
    • If there's no link, mark the e-mail as spam in your e-mail program.
  • Go to your e-mail app/program and enable "block external images". The sender of an e-mail can check if you opened an e-mail if you load the images. Some spammers use such a tracker to help verify whether an e-mail is in use. If they know the e-mail is in use, it goes on the "send more spam" list.
  • If you receive robocalls or any calls with advertisements, go to your phone app settings and enable spam protection. Perhaps restrict your incoming calls to from contacts only.
  • Don't open, read or answer e-mails, calls and texts that you think are from spammers.
And here are some more unusual things that I do to keep my contact information private.
  • I have my own e-mail domain (e.g. [email protected]) and have all my e-mails redirected to one inbox. This allows me to use a different e-mail for each website/account that I create. For example, I would use [email protected]for this website. If I receive any spam then I know from which website it's coming. Then I can simply block that e-mail address and maybe take additional steps.
    • Once I received a fake "you have been hacked" e-mail. Because I use a unique e-mail address for each website/account, I immediately knew which website leaked my e-mail address. I contacted and they denied everything of course, but at least I was able to simply disable that e-mail address.
    • One downside is this trick fails if you use website A to log in on website B. For example, some websites offer logging in using your Google account. Doing this may result in my [email protected] e-mail address being leaked to website B.
  • Use a temporary e-mail to sign up for websites if you don't want to receive any e-mails from them. For example, forums and web-games and any website that requires your e-mail address just to continue browsing.
thank you so much!!!

• Love
Reactions: Inthewind, DeadlineDialer and Praestat_Mori
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
They are getting harder and harder to escape. I love technology but I try and stay in the old world as much as a I can. I have a dumb phone so all I can do is text and call and I'm not online wherever I go. I try not to order stuff, if I can I will go out to a shop a buy it there and pay in cash. When I'm on my pc I use ad block, sites try to get around it, like twitch, I just stop using them for the most part.

Remember if you are using something and not paying for it you are the product, don't be a product be a person.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
If your phone has a setting to setup Private DNS, use this: dns.adguard.com. this will stop all ads except YouTube's

• Informative
Reactions: Skathon
AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023

You can get an adblocker. I recommend uBlock Origin.

Reactions: Skathon
Minsu

Minsu

♀️🏳️‍🌈
Jan 17, 2023
I use Microsoft edge with AdBlock on. And for games I use a custom DNS that blocks all Ads 😋

dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
You can get an adblocker. I recommend uBlock Origin.
Ublock works on browsers, a private DNS setup (not all phones have this)will block all ads on almost all apps like freemium games so its important to remember if you watch ads for items etc.there is also blokada, an app that works on all phones. As for YouTube, google is working hard to disable playback if ads are blocked. Now there are work arounds like vanced but as I said google is vindictive and wants money or to show ads

Reactions: Skathon and Inthewind
AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
Ublock works on browsers, a private DNS setup (not all phones have this)will block all ads on almost all apps like freemium games so its important to remember if you watch ads for items etc.there is also blokada, an app that works on all phones. As for YouTube, google is working hard to disable playback if ads are blocked. Now there are work arounds like vanced but as I said google is vindictive and wants money or to show ads
Phones now have content blocking for web browsers, and coupled with a content blocking app like adguard blocks pretty much all ads, downside is it doesn;t work on any other app other than then browser. I haven't used the youtube app for a long while, my web browser blocks all the youtube ads.

Inthewind

Inthewind

Wondering Waevern
Sep 19, 2023

Dude so true, I think we gotta start downloading music that we like and adding it to ipods and those old school CDs or putting them in folders however we can, it has gotten to the point the ads like hurt my ears(well sound in general does even at moderate to light volume) but maaaaan,

M

magicwiccan1

Sep 22, 2023
Unfortunately if you use something for free that didn't cost you anything to download or view, the companies have to make their money back and the only way they can do that is by revenue from advertising. YouTube is a prime example. They have to pay YouTubers and that money doesn't just come out of nowhere.
If you don't want ads playing during music or videos then pay the subscription.
You can't expect it all for free.

http-410

http-410

nowhere
Sep 12, 2020
Think about switching to a reputable email provider that doesn't bombard you with ads. The only downside is that they usually require payment. There are a few exceptions - for example Proton Mail or Tutanota. Use aliases or throwaway addresses for different websites and do not reveal your main address.

Go to the pages where you are registered with your e-mail address and unsubscribe from newsletters and other privacy-intrusive options. Unsubscribing a newsletter from a spam mail or even clicking a link in it can have the opposite effect or even be dangerous (phishing).

Pi-hole is a small program that you can host yourself. It's relatively easy to set up and sends incoming ads into a "black hole" by using filter lists and works across your entire network (cell phone, laptop, desktop). Using a VPN tunnel like Wireguard, you can even use it away from home.

However, Pi-hole is not a panacea against ads. It filters out most ads successfully, but for websites like YouTube or Twitch you still need an adblocker like uBlock Origin. I recommend Firefox or Librewolf with uBlock Origin, Cookie Auto Delete and LocalCDN. TTV LOL Pro if you're using Twitch. Better for privacy would be to keep a separate Firefox profile for each purpose.

As an alternative to a self-hosted Pihole, you can also change your DNS provider. There are DNS providers that filter advertisements. However, the provider may block requests that you cannot access. This is how SS is blocked by some ISPs. A non-self-hosted DNS is also a matter of trust.

On mobile, there is Invidious, Piped or Newpipe as a privacy-oriented and ad-free alternative to YouTube. If you are looking for alternatives to other utilities, programs, DNS etc. I recommend taking a look at https://www.privacyguides.org/en/tools/.

Edit: The search engine is also an important element. If you want to reduce your digital footprint, I would avoid Google, Bing and Yahoo. Alternatives are listed in the link above.

Last edited:
Daxter777

Daxter777

May 22, 2023

🫠

I would like to think a borderline utopia but maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part

IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023

Brave browser. Simple as. 0 ads.