TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Just a brief background about me: I'm an Asian American who grew up in the US, and in the US there is something called the 2nd amendment (mentioning this for the people who aren't from the US, but I assume that most people already know.). My parents (both from Taiwan and immigrated to the US over 30 years ago) are anti-gun in general and don't own any firearms nor are for them. Funnily enough my father has military service several decades ago due to mandatory service for all able-bodied and healthy male in Taiwan (to this day Taiwan still has mandatory service albeit reduced). Any US citizen who isn't a felon, domestic violence perpetrator (someone convicted of domestic violence), adjudicated mentally defective or involuntarily committed by court order, not a fugitive from justice, not dishonorably discharged from the armed services (military), etc. would qualify to legally own a firearm according to federal law. Then there is state law which dictates which firearms a person can own, whether they need a license or not, where they are allowed to carry and where not, etc.

So anyways, in this thread, I want to discuss whether this coronavirus crisis would help push the self-defense angle of owning a firearm and be the turning point in them changing their minds. My mother is more against it in general than my father, but my father has been following global and national news lately, related to the coronavirus. He knows that Asian Americans in general, in the US and around the world have been suffering hate crimes and other attacks related to the coronavirus outbreak and that there are an influx of Asian Americans purchasing firearms for self defense especially in the state of California (as well as other states, including my own, in North Carolina especially in the inner-cities). While I have not "personally" experienced direct racism or violence against me as a result of this outbreak, I cannot promise nor guarantee that I would not ever be a victim of such. I believe I would feel more secure having one as well as training on said firearm.

Of course, ultimately, it is still my parents home which means they have the final say (their house their rules) and I would not want to do anything to upset them or ruin the relations/terms with them. I'm grateful that they have allowed me to stay there since beginning of 2020 due to my change in my living situation (from end of 2019/beginning of 2020) until I get back on my feet. So while I don't plan on approaching the topic with my father as he is still anti-gun (so is my mother) and my family in general (I have a sister who is in New York who is staunchly against gun ownership and thinks that guns cause more harm than good - also not arguing with her; but that's another story for another time), I am just thinking of this as an additional 'alibi' to possession of a firearm in my already existing alibi of target shooting/recreational shooting. Does it really take a crisis or becoming a victim to sway someone's stance sometimes (I hope it doesn't take that or wait until it's too late)? What are your thoughts on this?