S

SLADE

Nov 13, 2023
I take 8mg a day of klonopin. Almost for 3 years now. I realize when I forget to take them I get seriously sick and start getting rapid flashing in my eyes. I've also noticed they have changed my brain chemistry.

I've tried to ween off by myself. It feels impossible. Does anyone have a solid way to get off of them or do you think rehab? I really don't want to go to rehab. I want to try to beat this demon on my own.

If anyone has been in the same spot and has advice I would appreciate it.

Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
Have you tried lowering the dose gradually?

Reactions: SLADE
S

SLADE

Nov 13, 2023
Have you tried lowering the dose gradually?
Yes, but it makes me extremely sick. I was reading about it. The only thing I have found is to gradually lower my dose in quarters. It's hard to do. I've definitely felt seizures coming on when I don't take my full dose.

• Hugs
Reactions: Aim
Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
Hmm. Okay! That sucks! 😏 I'm not a doctor so i can't really tell, but isn't there going to be some withdrawal symptoms anyways. And then eventually it gets over time? Heh

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
typically when you stop a drug like this youre suppose to consult a doctor exactly for this reason. have you? is there a reason you havent? doctors have caused me problems so i wouldnt blame you for not

Reactions: Painfu.Ll.suffering and SLADE
S

SLADE

Nov 13, 2023
Hmm. Okay! That sucks! 😏 I'm not a doctor so i can't really tell, but isn't there going to be some withdrawal symptoms anyways. And then eventually it gets over time? Heh

100% there will be withdrawal symptoms. The problem is it will take a long time to be able fully get off them without medical help.
typically when you stop a drug like this youre suppose to consult a doctor exactly for this reason. have you? is there a reason you havent? doctors have caused me problems so i wouldnt blame you for not
Hell no! They would put me in rehab and fully detox me. Now that sounds like true hell on earth. Doctors only cause issues and make things a little more difficult when it comes to these situation depending on who you're dealing with.

Reactions: Painfu.Ll.suffering
Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
I think I would just contact a doctor then! Tell them that you need them to help you with something to manage withdrawal symptoms! So you dont get worse on the way.

• Hugs
Reactions: get.some.sleep and SLADE
S

SLADE

Nov 13, 2023
Reducing the dosage too much, too quickly can shock your nervous system and cause severe withdrawal effects. A 10% taper every month is a good starting point. You can do it but it will require a lot of patience and discipline. This guide has good information on how to do it slowly and safely: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/
Thank you for the information! I knew this would be hell to begin with so I think I'm prepared. As long as I don't go cold turkey I think I'll be able to do it.
I think I would just contact a doctor then! Tell them that you need them to help you with something to manage withdrawal symptoms! So you dont get worse on the way.
I will if I have to! Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: NumbItAll
ForeverBroken

ForeverBroken

Memento mori
Jun 17, 2023
I would contact your doctor or think about a detox/rehab center. I was unknowingly addicted to Ativan for several years and had to go to a rehab facility. Best thing I had ever done. It was hard as hell but I am so glad to be off that crap. I will never take another benzo in my life. Best of luck to you.💛

• Hugs
S

SLADE

Nov 13, 2023
I would contact your doctor or think about a detox/rehab center. I was unknowingly addicted to Ativan for several years and had to go to a rehab facility. Best thing I had ever done. It was hard as hell but I am so glad to be off that crap. I will never take another benzo in my life. Best of luck to you.💛
I will if it gets bad. I'm glad you were able kick benzo's to the curb. Your story is awesome and im glad you beat addictions ass. You made me smile. Thank you for your story!

• Love
Reactions: Aim
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
Don't go cold turkey… I was on 4mg a day and went cold turkey. It's totally screwed me over - memory issues, tinnitus, nerve pain, seizures etc. etc.

Also rehab would be a waste of money - as they will take you off them too quickly and the chance of success is next to nothing.

Look up the Ashton Manual - it's the bible of how to get off benzos. You're on a very high dose… and on a benzo that can't be reduced easily in small doses. The best thing to do would be transfer to a different benzo, like diazepam at the equivalent dose (which would be about 160mg of diazepam a day. This would enable you to reduce the dose more gradually.

You're probably going to need a doctor to help you do this. To safely withdraw from your amount will take over 2 years.

I would also recommend you get some online lived support - search Benzobuddies, they are US based and have lots of great advice.

If you want to ask me anything... Feel free.

ForeverBroken

ForeverBroken

Memento mori
Jun 17, 2023
I will if it gets bad. I'm glad you were able kick benzo's to the curb. Your story is awesome and im glad you beat addictions ass. You made me smile. Thank you for your story!
Let me know if you have any questions. I can let you know what I did from my perspective. Sending hugs your way.💛

• Hugs
S

SLADE

Nov 13, 2023
Don't go cold turkey… I was on 4mg a day and went cold turkey. It's totally screwed me over - memory issues, tinnitus, nerve pain, seizures etc. etc.

Also rehab would be a waste of money - as they will take you off them too quickly and the chance of success is next to nothing.

Look up the Ashton Manual - it's the bible of how to get off benzos. You're on a very high dose… and on a benzo that can't be reduced easily in small doses. The best thing to do would be transfer to a different benzo, like diazepam at the equivalent dose (which would be about 160mg of diazepam a day. This would enable you to reduce the dose more gradually.

You're probably going to need a doctor to help you do this. To safely withdraw from your amount will take over 2 years.

I would also recommend you get some online lived support - search Benzobuddies, they are US based and have lots of great advice.

If you want to ask me anything... Feel free.
I wouldn't be able to cold turkey. I'm really sorry that benzo's has left you with lasting effects. I also thank you for the warning.

I feel like I have heard of the Ashton Manual for getting off of benzo's. I'll have to look into that. The hard part would be attaining that much diazepam for weening off klonopin. I highly doubt a doctor would be willing, but you never know.

To be fair I just want get off them as soon as possible. Two years is a long, long time.
I'll also make sure to check out benzo buddies. Thank you for all the information. If I have any questions I'll take you up on your offer.
Let me know if you have any questions. I can let you know what I did from my perspective. Sending hugs your way.💛
I absolutely will! Thank you so much. Hugs your way as well.

• Love
Reactions: Tesha and ForeverBroken