I

Incandescent

Aug 29, 2023
I''m pretty suicidal. When I tell people how I feel I'm constantly told to go to therapy. Which to me just seems like a stupid answer, not because of anything wrong with therapy itself (although I could say some things about that) but because health care is just inaccessible. I make about $2000 a month before taxes, which is basically nothing, but it's too much to qualify for medicaid. To get my own insurance, I would need to pay at least $275 buying insurance on my own, or go through my employer, pay $1000+ deductible, $100 a month, only for them to pay 80% of my medical costs after that.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't afford that.

• Hugs
Reactions: Celerity, Liru2002, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
RosySunsets

RosySunsets

Oct 24, 2023
Healthcare systems absolutely suck. Even if you could afford it the waiting lists are so long you'd be lucky if they could see you in a few years (obviously that's dependent on where you are.)

I guess some alternatives are religion, exercise (maybe just going for a walk whenever you feel you can), if you can and want to maybe adopt an animal, like fish (I've heard they're pretty great for anxiety). Not saying you have to follow any of this, the internet probably has some other suggestions if you did want any though.

I

inpursuitofpeace

Jan 4, 2023
I''m pretty suicidal. When I tell people how I feel I'm constantly told to go to therapy. Which to me just seems like a stupid answer, not because of anything wrong with therapy itself (although I could say some things about that) but because health care is just inaccessible. I make about $2000 a month before taxes, which is basically nothing, but it's too much to qualify for medicaid. To get my own insurance, I would need to pay at least $275 buying insurance on my own, or go through my employer, pay $1000+ deductible, $100 a month, only for them to pay 80% of my medical costs after that.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't afford that.
try looking into a community mental health place near you. Yes, they accept bunches of people with Medicaid, BUT before I had medicaid, they considered me low enough income to where they didn't charge me for services.

Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
Some things in life simply are not for profit. It's a deplorable situation when the wealthiest country in the world spends trillions of dollars to drop bombs on the poorest. Yet they can't provide the most basic care for their own. It's fucked up.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I think group therapy/support groups can be good for this. I have had some success in the past, but I have also heard of many people who took a while to find groups they clicked with.

In the US, there are also some online therapy subscriptions that seemed more affordable. I have never tried them, but they seem popular.