J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
According to this article, scientists are working on a pill which may be able to double our lifespan.

🎵 Isn't it ironic... it's like rain on your wedding day...🎵 ha ha! :smiling:

Those scientists are working in the opposite direction. This article will give me nightmares.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, Jumper Seoirse, ConstantPain and 5 others
Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
one thing people often forget to mention or don't know is that, although our life expectancy increased, our quality of life during our last decades actually decreased, as we are more and more plagued by chronic diseases like dementia, Alzheimer's, sarcopenia, diabetes and so on...

I don't think there's a lot of value in living long if we don't get basic autonomy and dignity.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, Disappointered, lights_are_on and 17 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
one thing people often forget to mention or don't know is that, although our life expectancy increased, our quality of life during our last decades actually decreased, as we are more and more plagued by chronic diseases like dementia, Alzheimer's, sarcopenia, diabetes and so on...

I don't think there's a lot of value in living long if we don't get basic autonomy and dignity.

I fully agree. We were meant to perish sooner and live a full and valuable life in fewer years. It's like comparing watching an interesting movie for two hours, in contrast to being forced to watch an uninteresting one for 90 years.

Reactions: ConstantPain, Élégie, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 4 others
Againstthewind

Againstthewind

Victory
Jul 10, 2022
Oh god, sounds like torture!

Reactions: Klophy and Julgran
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
Kinda interesting to me that they don't bring up societal implications. Every aspect of the world around us is shaped around the assumption that most people will reproduce in their 30s and die in their 70s or so. If people could suddenly live until 200, that would all have to radically shift.

On the other hand, in this sort of world, voluntary death might be more accepted. 200 years is a long-ass time, and if people could theoretically eventually extend their life with "no upper limit", at some point there would have to be a choice to die, right? And maybe people would empathize with that more?

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, LastFlowers, Klophy and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I do not understand why anyone would want to live longer. The longer that someone stays alive, it is just prolonging their suffering. To me, non existence is always preferable to living. Death is the absence of all of lifes problems. Existence is completely pointless and unnecessary.

Reactions: LastFlowers, Klophy and Julgran
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Whenever I hear about people who want to live forever or get frozen or some shit I just piss myself laughing.

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, lights_are_on, Élégie and 1 other person
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
The story says the pill would remove cells related to aging.

Now, I do not know if that means it removes any of the other health issues that people deal with. If they do, that might be a game changer for some.

Just a thought.

Could the research imply that they are working on a way to keep future generations young or at least youthful enough so they can continue to be a part of the machine in case birth rates fall further than they appear to have already?

Also, should they become publicly available or mandated to be given at birth, would it possibly help the powers that be eliminate most government safety nets, etc.? (since no one would need to retire, etc.).

Reactions: Julgran
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
The story says the pill would remove cells related to aging.

Now, I do not know if that means it removes any of the other health issues that people deal with. If they do, that might be a game changer for some.

Just a thought.

Could the research imply that they are working on a way to keep future generations young or at least youthful enough so they can continue to be a part of the machine in case birth rates fall further than they appear to have already?

Also, should they become publicly available or mandated to be given at birth, would it possibly help the powers that be eliminate most government safety nets, etc.? (since no one would need to retire, etc.).

You are making me see the future as even more bleak, but you are probably right :wink:

Such a pill may even only work on young people, since older ones have already aged to a degree that they may not benefit much from the pill.

As you say, it may be possible to hide our falling birth rates under the rug, and also to make people work longer - that's a horrific thought...

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
I don't believe it. Modern science still refuses or is unable to do anything of great value for 99% of chronic illness, disease, and the various suffering that people around the world are enduring... yet they want us to believe they are going to make a pill that can double our life span? Could be on the market in the next ten years Pffff what a fucking joke. A new skin cream or dick pill maybe, but this?

It's tiresome. Oh, new HD images of deep uncharted space? Yeah. Well. The homeless guy I see everyday who sleeps outside of the bus station is still hungry and can't get anything to eat for dinner, so what fucking good is all this nonsense really.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Disappointered, lights_are_on, Lost in a Dream and 8 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I don't believe it. Modern science still refuses or is unable to do anything of great value for 99% of chronic illness, disease, and the various suffering that people around the world are enduring... yet they want us to believe they are going to make a pill that can double our life span? Could be on the market in the next ten years Pffff what a fucking joke. A new skin cream or dick pill maybe, but this?

It's tiresome. Oh, new HD images of deep uncharted space? Yeah. Well. The homeless guy I see everyday who sleeps outside of the bus station is still hungry and can't get anything to eat for dinner, so what fucking good is all this nonsense really.

Well said!

I wonder, though, what an overdose of those pills would look like - would one live to be 9 000 years...? :smiling:

• Yay!
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, Endex and GentleJerk
Moonlight Tears

Moonlight Tears

I will put the fire out with my tears.
Jun 15, 2022
I couldn't do it.

FML_

FML_

Jun 26, 2022
I think I'll pass... Being alive for 20 years has already been bad enough, I don't need 140 more.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Message In A Bottle, 𖣴 nadia 𖣴 and 2 others
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
Course I laugh at shit like this as they can design a so called solution. Same with how I just posted on the 'say anything' thread, u can drink basic stuff like coffee and gain a few extra miles, I mean days to live longer. But in the end we all know how we were created. So ultimately we can't do anything to "live longer" - all the scientists gags are just come-ons, but we can choose how to die faster. The man upstairs determines how long we live (normally).
lightning-lightning-strike.gif

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I fully agree. We were meant to perish sooner and live a full and valuable life in fewer years. It's like comparing watching an interesting movie for two hours, in contrast to being forced to watch an uninteresting one for 90 years.
As I am somewhat of a cinephile, your analogy is positively horrifying..

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Julgran
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
When can I get the pill to half my lifespan?

• Love
Reactions: Endex, Lost in a Dream, Skathon and 3 others
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
According to this article, scientists are working on a pill which may be able to double our lifespan.

Those scientists are workings in the opposite direction. This article will give me nightmares.
Why??????

Even if I didn't want to die, this planet is so overcrowded we are killing it!!!!!
Another fact the prolifers don't seem to understand.

• Love
Reactions: Endex, Lost in a Dream, ConstantPain and 1 other person
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
When can I get the pill to half my lifespan?

You will need to take the first pill and live for 200 years, and then you may know if there will be another pill which can cut your lifespan in half.

Why??????

Even if I didn't want to die, this planet is so overcrowded we are killing it!!!!!
Another fact the prolifers don't seem to understand.

You asked the right question - "why?". I believe that their answer would be "because we can". I'm leaning towards what @outatime_85 wrote above, though.

castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
The planet is overwhelmed with people, that's why I still c deer in the city where their clearly out of their zone.
2022 06 29 18 33 49

Reactions: 𖣴 nadia 𖣴 and Julgran
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
Y
Yeah, I don't buy it either. There isn't even a cure for cancer yet, because modern medical research has been moving at snails pace over the past few decades.

My guess is that this is just more hopium for normies, like space travel, designed to keep them docile despite the otherwise bleak future outlook and plummeting quality of life.

It does show how great people's fear of death must be, for them to embrace manmade horrory like this ons, just so they can keep flipping burgers, delivering amazon packages or sit in a tiny cubicle all day for another 100 years. Pathetic.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: onewho, NumbItAll, Lost in a Dream and 2 others
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Y

Yeah, I don't buy it either. There isn't even a cure for cancer yet, because modern medical research has been moving at snails pace over the past few decades.

My guess is that this is just more hopium for normies, like space travel, designed to keep them docile despite the otherwise bleak future outlook and plummeting quality of life.

It does show how great people's fear of death must be, for them to embrace manmade horrory like this ons, just so they can keep flipping burgers, delivering amazon packages or sit in a tiny cubicle all day for another 100 years. Pathetic.
It's not about a cure for cancer, it's about controlling it.

No joke, dead serious, on the news last night: Scientists have made a recent discovery that diet and exercise may be safer and more effective for preventing death from a certain type of heart disease, than the current recommended surgery and stent implants. However before any recommendations can be made, further research and clinical studies will be needed to better understand this, which may take another 20 years or more.

• Yay!
Reactions: Disappointered, Élégie, whatevs and 1 other person
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
Looks like the deer had second thoughts..
Fortunately the consist was not hooked to anything, but the deer just watched me as I passed by - not afraid at all.

Reactions: LastFlowers
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
My father said that until they start dispensing pills that double the size of your D he isn't interested.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream and castler
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
My father said that until they start dispensing pills that double the size of your D he isn't interested.
I wonder if woman could get a pill to double the size of their V/P?

• Yay!
Reactions: whatevs
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021

Those scientists are working in the opposite direction. This article will give me nightmares.
This is a theoretical plan, so that the people who take care of their health extremely well, and who get lu8cky, can have a lot longer lifespan. For most people their lifespan won't change based on this though, since once your arteries are clogged or you get cancer, the tqwo leading causes of deaths that accounht for the large majority of deaths, these pills won't help at all.

• Informative
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
It's like a vampire turning a person at the old folks home. Nobody wants that?

• Yay!
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Julgran and lights_are_on
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
This pill sounds like BS, but even if it ever becomes a real thing, I certainly don't want it. It would be nice to get a pill that puts me to sleep forever instead. That probably won't happen anytime soon either, but it's a pleasant thought.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Julgran
Enigmatic Sailor

Enigmatic Sailor

vicissitudes of fate...
Oct 29, 2021
Any article website ending in ".uk" is tabloid garbage.

Jumper Seoirse

Jumper Seoirse

Student
Apr 8, 2022
There are very rich people who would fund these trials, but the cost would be out of this world, there would still be mental health, disability, cancer and various other diseases, and no jobs for the young, I mean the 100 years old, :smiling: . The government would raise the state pension age to 170 years old, and the pension providers would do the same so basically, you would work longer to pay more tax. The world would run out of space and war and famine would follow.

They should be funding trials to solve the problems we have today.

Cheers

Jumper Seoirse

• Informative
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, not-2-b-the-answer, Julgran and 1 other person