whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Aprox 2 years ago (because as you know depression isn't kind on your memory, it has to be 'aprox'), I had two strangely enjoyable weeks. Why I'm sharing this will be disclosed by the end.

I was here at home, minding my own aimlessness and alienation, when my aunt phoned my mother. My aunt has several chronic illnesses and at that time still had her whole body covered with painful spots from cancer. She had called my mother because she needed someone to go with her to the country's capital and help her while she received proton showers for the spots.

It was summer and having no friends and no energy I also had no plans. I appreciate my aunt but to me it was just an excuse to go the capital, if we are being honest. So off I went. It was stressful to navigate on my own as I have barely "adulted" due to my miserable health problems keeping me caged at home like a manchild, but I made it to the cancer patients residence. I was in such high spirits that I uploaded a misguiding cheerful pic to OKCupid using the newfound attitude the city was seemingly imbuing me with.

So it was a large building for people receiving treatment for cancer, and there was something in the atmosphere that I really liked. For starters, people were positively predisposed to me. I was that nice guy, probably his son, that was spending part of his holidays cooking for his ill mother and supporting her. People in the residence were always amiable and it also felt like the city, the environment, was making me feel alive, like I had a future. In the evenings I would wander around in the parks, read or chat with the patients and their relatives. Some looked like they were going to die, some of them were recovering.

Then one day this strange period of not feeling bitter and hopeless had to end. My aunt's husband was waiting at the entrance with his car and an impatient look on his face, and then he threw our baggage to the back after hurling a shockingly contemptive and resentful remark to my aunt. That fucker was complaining to her for having to come and get us! Uh oh, the world I knew was coming back. He would divorce her 1 year later.

Later on, when my father was waiting for me in the airport, I felt an awfully strange sense of dread. Had I just missed my opportunity to escape? It was a visceral feeling of repulse. Not just at my dad, which is a very flawed individual but whom I appreciate nonetheless, but at what he represented. A visceral feeling that condensed emotionally the realization that I was coming back to a life that had no future, in a place I hated.

I've lately favoured the idea that I would be unhappy no matter where or with whom, but I have to wonder... It's true that I felt better out of this city and far from my family. If you knew them, you'd see why this might make sense.

Either way, I don't have the energy or means to test this hypothesis now. This all remains as the peculiar time in which whatevs felt content with life thanks to living in a residence for cancer patients and the relatives that took care of them.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Disappointered, Nolan96, Anxieyote and 14 others
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
If only there was some way you could have another period where the feelings you had during those 2 weeks came back, even if it doesn't last as long. Any good days we have are special when they happen, but why do they have to be so rare? I can remember times in my life when I felt as good as you did back then, but they feel like a lifetime ago now (even though it was only a few years).

Reactions: Pluto and whatevs
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I can only say that we are hugely impacted by our environment. Certain places suck us in and we are transformed, at least for a while.

Sometimes I felt quite moved by the wild and free spirit of the night life of Melbourne when I was driving by. As if it would be a mere change of mindset, or even a simple process of giving myself permission to let go of my normal stance of antisocial high ground, to be one of them.

Recently, I have somehow ended up with a house mate who is the perfect gateway to normality. I am in a gym as we speak, for the second time in as many days, yet having always talked myself out of even trying such a thing previously. I have nothing to lose in letting myself get swept away out of the prison of self-limiting thoughts. I don't know if I will prove a success story, but I can recommend giving it a try!

• Love
Reactions: Famous Last Words, rationaltake, Foresight and 1 other person
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I like watching good parents with their children and trying to soak up some of the love and care, or at least know it exists in the world, even if I am not experiencing it myself. I wish there was some place we could all go to be surrounded by warmth, care and love. I would pay for it. I would love to have a kind community, but I was bullied in mine. It makes life hard not having it.

I'm pleased OP you got this experience of positive feedback and being somewhere where people cared.

• Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Seaghost and Pluto
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I was enchanted by your atmospheric description of this otherworldly interlude. A golden memory I hope.

It makes me think about how things could have been so very different for all of us. I pretty much believe in the multiverse. I wonder if there are other versions of me doing so much better in other universes.

With certain tweaks I could have been okay in this universe.

Would you do something similar if the chance came up now?

Reactions: Foresight and whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I was enchanted by your atmospheric description of this otherworldly interlude. A golden memory I hope.

It makes me think about how things could have been so very different for all of us. I pretty much believe in the multiverse. I wonder if there are other versions of me doing so much better in other universes.

With certain tweaks I could have been okay in this universe.

Would you do something similar if the chance came up now?
Oh of course I would. I'm up for anything at this point. Gotta try anything before ending your life, IMO.

Reactions: rationaltake
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
Oh of course I would. I'm up for anything at this point. Gotta try anything before ending your life, IMO.
I hope something comes up for you. My life can't be fixed and I'm old anyway but I know people my age who are making a go of it.