Kev

Kev

Student
Aug 18, 2018
To myself, and I'm sure many other suicidal people, the number one reason we haven't done it yet is due to the suffering it will bring to the people in our lives. I have no malicious intent, and just want to end my suffering. I wish to minimize suffering and guilt as much as possible in the process. I hope to be able to at least utilize my life in some way for the greater good, and want to maximize the chances that my organs are able to be harvested and donated. It probably won't reduce suffering from the people in your life, but you will be bringing a lot of happiness to the people who need those organs and their families. This rationalization serves to make myself feel better about what I am doing. In my opinion, this enables my death to have a net positive contribution to humanity.

If you can relate to how I feel about suicide, then I urge you to consider the method I am planning to use. I plan on bringing a concealed handgun, 9mm hollow point (I recommend hollow point rounds at 9mm or larger caliber), into a hospital, walking into the bathroom in the ER waiting room, and shooting myself right above the ears, horizontally, in order to hit the brainstem. I will have a DNR (do-not-resuscitate) order stating that my will is that no medical procedure shall be performed to preserve my life, just in case, and that it is of paramount importance that my organs are to be harvested immediately.

The benefits to this method is that as long as you pick an appropriate round (relatively powerful caliber and hollow point), and you roughly aim at your brainstem, death is instant, painless, and guaranteed. If you destroy one or more of the vital structures that compose the brainstem, there is nothing anyone can do to bring you back. This certainty allows for you to do the deed as close to a hospital as you can. Why? Because organs only have a very limited timeframe after brain death in which they can be harvested and donated as viable replacements to other people. In addition, no one who cares about you will find your body and be traumatized.

Obviously this only applies to the people lucky enough to be able to access a firearm. If your country has an organ donor registrar, as the USA does, register to be an organ donor.

I know a lot of you probably don't give a shit about society or humanity, but if you do, and the conditions are favorable, there is the potential to do a lot of good for others while at the same time making it easier on your conscience to go through with ending your suffering.

Reactions: Lotharius, ThisIsTheEnd, SamK and 1 other person
BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger

Comfort-eating
Aug 4, 2018
It probably won't reduce suffering from the people in your life, but you will be bringing a lot of happiness to the people who need those organs and their families

I get where you're coming from... but then you're increasing suffering for people in that hospital a few feet away from you. So now you've got your family suffering and people nearby.

Not trying to invalidate your idea, because organ donation is a great thing, but on the morality tipping scale it's a bit skewed

Reactions: lv-gras and Kev
Kev

Kev

Student
Aug 18, 2018
I get where you're coming from... but then you're increasing suffering for people in that hospital a few feet away from you. So now you've got your family suffering and people nearby.

Not trying to invalidate your idea, because organ donation is a great thing, but on the morality tipping scale it's a bit skewed

That's fair, but in my own personal case, I've scoped out the hospital, and the bathroom I'm planning on doing it in is a single person bathroom. I'll leave the door unlocked, then the noise from the gunshot will prompt an E.R. worker, who has probably seen multiple suicides, suicide attempts, and general gruesome injuries, to come check it out, then hopefully they are able to get my body into an operating room for extraction. No one will actually witness the act, and hopefully only the trained and desensitized hospital staff will see my body.

Regardless, I think on the morality scale, saving multiple peoples' lives outweighs the possibility of some people experiencing the displeasure of seeing the corpse of a complete stranger.

Reactions: sky7, VFL54sui, lv-gras and 1 other person