Select the option that most closely aligns with your perspective.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 10 7.8%

Votes: 2 1.6%

Votes: 39 30.5%

Votes: 42 32.8%

Votes: 13 10.2%

Votes: 21 16.4%

• Total voters
Oneness

Oneness

The eternal awaits
Oct 23, 2023
Last edited:
Reactions: iori011x3, Deleted member 65988, jar-baby and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't really understand the part about death and implications, as there simply isn't any. Once we die, we just cease existing with all future unnecessary suffering instantly prevented, all is forgotten about in death which is why only eternally ceasing to exist is desirable to me, as after all only the existing have the ability to suffer, not the dead.

But in my case my view is that for me it's preferable to die under all circumstances. All that existence does is create problems that there was never a need for, it's something so harmful to have the ability to suffer in this hellish reality where chance so sensessly determines everything.

Wanting suicide is all that feels rational to me, in order to prevent all future unnecessary suffering in this futile and cruel existence that was always undesirable and not worth having in the first place.

I believe that the right to die is the most important basic human right, it really disgusts me how we exist in this reality where there is the absence of a guaranteed peaceful exit from this existence available at all times, suicide is suffering prevention, I see it as self care.

Reactions: SecretDissociation and myusername890
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
6 is the closest one for me. I think people should be offered help. I maybe wouldn't go so far as to say 'encouraged' though. That sounds like coercion to me when I think it should be up to the individual as to whether they want to accept the help being offered.

Reactions: Redacted24, Mayonaise, Slow_Farewell and 3 others
Oneness

Oneness

The eternal awaits
Oct 23, 2023
I don't really understand the part about death and implications, as there simply isn't any.
When someone decides to end their life, it can deeply impact the people around them. Friends and family may experience profound emotional pain and a sense of loss. Additionally, those tasked with handling the aftermath, like those who collect the body, can also be affected emotionally. This is what I meant by implications.

When someone doesn't have close connections like friends or family, the immediate impact of their CTB is greatly reduced, and one could make a compelling argument that there are virtually no significant implications.

Some spiritual and religious perspectives propose that when an individual dies, it's as if the entire universe dies with them. In this view, the implications of suicide may also be non-existent.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mayonaise, dumblosergirl and edu0z
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't really understand the part about death and implications, as there simply isn't any.

I suspect they mean implications on other people. You can't really believe that a parent that suicides leaving behind an infant isn't going to affect that child's life. You can argue that they shouldn't have had children but the fact is- they did. Suicides don't just happen in isolation. They do affect other people. Especially if those people are still dependent on that person. Truly- awful to say but- if your parents left you tomorrow- would you truly be happy for them and be absolutely fine on your own?

It's not to say anyone doesn't have the right to end their own life but- to not consider the implications at all seems pretty irresponsible- especially if a person has responsibilities of their own making. You can probably tell that- while I massively sympathise, it upsets me when parents are considering abandoning their children. I grew up without my Mum. (She died of natural causes.) It still hurts to this day and I'm 43 now. Many people experience grief and loss profoundly. I understand that you don't- by the sounds of it but I think it's something most people at least consider before CTB.

Reactions: Mayonaise and Oneness
delora

delora

Lola (she/her)
Jun 5, 2023
Somewhere between 6 and 7.

Suicide is always a valid personal choice, but so is trying to find support. Things aren't black and white, it's not either death or doom. Some people do reach fulfilling lives, just as others find solace in death. To me it's a case-by-case scenario and people should be the only ones deciding what's right for themselves. And yes, if ultimately the choice is ceasing to be, peaceful methods should be available.​

• Love
Reactions: AInilam, Oneness and WeDontKnowTheFuture
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
9 - it should include all other mentioned options (1-8).

Grief about the loss - that is and will always be an unsolvable problem for parents/friends/loved ones losing someone to suicide but the one who sees no other way out is also suffering.

Now who should suffer?

Reactions: milquetoast, iori011x3, BrainShower and 2 others
Oneness

Oneness

The eternal awaits
Oct 23, 2023
35 votes so far. This is really interesting data. Thank you all for voting!

Somewhere between 6 and 7.

Suicide is always a valid personal choice, but so is trying to find support. Things aren't black and white, it's not either death or doom. Some people do reach fulfilling lives, just as others find solace in death. To me it's a case-by-case scenario and people should be the only ones deciding what's right for themselves. And yes, if ultimately the choice is ceasing to be, peaceful methods should be available.​
I think I'm somewhere between 6 and 7 too.

9 - it should include all other mentioned options (1-8).

Grief about the loss - that is and will always be an unsolvable problem for parents/friends/loved ones losing someone to suicide but the one who sees no other way out is also suffering.

Now who should suffer?
You've made a valid point that no matter what, someone always ends up suffering.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and delora
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
I'm probably a mix of 6 and 7.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Redacted24
Krokodile

Krokodile

Nov 18, 2023
I think 5 and 7 are the same stance worded in different ways, but I chose 7 since I prefer that wording. Where are these from?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and jar-baby
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Anyone really at an 8 or 9 is already gone from this world.

I'd hazard that the only thing keeping most of us here is the implications on others. Intuitively we all know that the physical act of death is easy, but crossing that line is exceptionally difficult. A thousand reasons will come in our head to delay.

This is the raw form of the SI that keeps us here.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and nopointinlivingg
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I think some of these are not mutually exclusive. I feel aspects of 5, 6, and 8, but most closely align with 8 so that is my vote.

5 - It's none of my business what someone does with their life
6 - I want to help someone if possible, if they are receptive to it
8 - Suicide can be a righteous protest against a grotesque reality

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Dliena, Neverfeltdeader and 1 other person
Neverfeltdeader

Neverfeltdeader

Can you hear me drift away?
Dec 12, 2021
8. I think suicide is a beautiful way to go. I idolize people who actually succeed.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, divinemistress36 and SecretDissociation
O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
Number 9 is my viewpoint--And as far as my own future is concerned....All Roads Lead To Suicide

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and SecretDissociation
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
6 is the closest for me.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Sitting in the darkness.
Feb 28, 2023
Anyone really at an 8 or 9 is already gone from this world.

I'd hazard that the only thing keeping most of us here is the implications on others. Intuitively we all know that the physical act of death is easy, but crossing that line is exceptionally difficult. A thousand reasons will come in our head to delay.

This is the raw form of the SI that keeps us here.
I don't agree, it's very difficult to die in this society which is why so many on this website are trapped here. The physical act of death is not easy at all as it requires a foolproof method with a lot of luck, and there is also a lot of SI, especially if the method is very painful. The main reason there's so much delay for a lot of people is because they have to brutalise themselves just to die.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, divinemistress36 and Dliena
Mayonaise

Mayonaise

Burning up in speed
Dec 8, 2023
6-7 here too, am massively surprised that the majority of us voted this way, I was expecting much more 8-9. Once again, this proves that this community is not a circle of death fanatics or a "death cult", but rather a group of people who stand for personal freedom and self-determination.
Not saying that who voted 8-9 is a fanatic, mind you. I respect your opinion much more than the life-at-all-costs rant.
I suspect they mean implications on other people. You can't really believe that a parent that suicides leaving behind an infant isn't going to affect that child's life. You can argue that they shouldn't have had children but the fact is- they did. Suicides don't just happen in isolation. They do affect other people. Especially if those people are still dependent on that person. Truly- awful to say but- if your parents left you tomorrow- would you truly be happy for them and be absolutely fine on your own?

It's not to say anyone doesn't have the right to end their own life but- to not consider the implications at all seems pretty irresponsible- especially if a person has responsibilities of their own making. You can probably tell that- while I massively sympathise, it upsets me when parents are considering abandoning their children. I grew up without my Mum. (She died of natural causes.) It still hurts to this day and I'm 43 now. Many people experience grief and loss profoundly. I understand that you don't- by the sounds of it but I think it's something most people at least consider before CTB.
Very good insight.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Shimidori and Forever Sleep
Shimidori

Shimidori

make me sad
Dec 22, 2023
I stand by my choice of a solid 7 (Which seems to be the majority, to my surprise!)

That said, my true option would be closer to a 7.5, because while I don't necessarily romanticize suicide, I accept it as something that we should be able to choose after a certain point. Once you are in your 20s and continuously wake up every day feeling like shit and just wanting it to be over, that's just a sign that, just maybe, it has been a good run. I know of people that got out of such a dark hole, but that is still a minority compared to the rest of us.

Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I'm a 4, though some of the later numbers apply to me as well based on situation/mental state. I won't stop someone from suicide, but I will voice my concerns. What they do isn't my business, but if I would rather live the rest of my time without regret of failing to reach out.

That and I base my worth on how others perceive me, so it'd be personally defeatist to not maintain my self worth. Forgive my selfishness.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and iori011x3
SecretDissociation

SecretDissociation

Suicide enthusiast
Sep 11, 2022
I'm a nine on this scale. Truly, at the end of the day we will be met with death. Suicide only makes that meeting quicker. And at the end of the day when you die nothing will matter. To the people around you sure, your death may be immense grief but whats it matter to the dead. You die inevitably anyway.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I'm a 7 since I believe bodily autonomy should be above all (with the exception of when it infringes on another's bodily autonomy/civil liberties, or if an individual does something that warrants suspension of said rights). I guess I could appear to be a 6 in some cases though, but as a staunch pro-choicer, I would score a 7.

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I don't agree, it's very difficult to die in this society which is why so many on this website are trapped here. The physical act of death is not easy at all as it requires a foolproof method with a lot of luck, and there is also a lot of SI, especially if the method is very painful. The main reason there's so much delay for a lot of people is because they have to brutalise themselves just to die.
I guess it depends where you live, yes.

I know I am very lucky to be in the UK where we have easy access to many methods, ironically many with same day delivery, which is either good or bad depending how you look at it.

The act of getting to suicide is the hard bit I meant, not that it's all easy. I meant it's easy once you are on the rope, figuratively or literally, not it's all easy. I know from my own experience it's the most difficult thing in the world, no matter how much I want it sometimes.

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Arcanist
Sep 10, 2023
7 - I view suicide as a valid personal decision and derive it from my believe in self determination. My sense of self determination and liberty are extremely high.

In my home we have a saying that goes like this:

"Lewer dood as Slaav - better to be dead than a slave"

I find that romantic. I cannot stop thinking like this and what are you but a slave if you are being denied this right of self determination? You weren't brought into this world by your own will but can end it by your own will.

Reactions: Mayonaise and Praestat_Mori