• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

pinkbluebutch

pinkbluebutch

Dec 5, 2022
So this post is mostly in hopes of being able to better support my partner, as I'm already in therapy thanks to decent coverage by my parent's insurance.

My partner is autistic and has anxiety and severe depression with suicidal ideation, on top of this a lot of the reason they're struggling is because of financial insecurity, so paying more to go to therapy would likely cause as much harm as it would good. I know betterhelp exists but I've heard bad things about how they treat therapists and what they do with customer data, so I'd rather avoid them. My partner also struggles with finding a therapist that's a good match, something I think anyone who's been in therapy can relate to, and doesn't want to deal with wasting money finding a good fit. I was curious if anyone has found strategies that have worked for them in a similar situation, as I want to support my partner as much as possible.

Reactions: eatantz
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø
Jul 1, 2020
im my own therapist and its been working out pretty well.
im 100% i can recover, ive already made huge improvements. (any problems i have left are from not being able to change the outside a-holes)

• Yay!
Reactions: Jiyuurakka
C

ConfusedClouds

Student
Mar 9, 2024
This might not be helpful, but its an idea that has come to mind in response to reading your dilemma.

In my local area there are social meet ups/coffee morning type gatherings for neurodivergent folk organised by a local mental health charity. I know other nearby areas have similar, usually stand alone organisations or locals helping each other (not necessarily a mh charity)

I wonder if there's something similar to this in your area and you could go along to and get a feel from others their experiences of local therapists or support options and tips they have picked up?

I really hope you manage to find something that eases the journey.

A

alltoomuch2

Feb 10, 2024
So this post is mostly in hopes of being able to better support my partner, as I'm already in therapy thanks to decent coverage by my parent's insurance.

My partner is autistic and has anxiety and severe depression with suicidal ideation, on top of this a lot of the reason they're struggling is because of financial insecurity, so paying more to go to therapy would likely cause as much harm as it would good. I know betterhelp exists but I've heard bad things about how they treat therapists and what they do with customer data, so I'd rather avoid them. My partner also struggles with finding a therapist that's a good match, something I think anyone who's been in therapy can relate to, and doesn't want to deal with wasting money finding a good fit. I was curious if anyone has found strategies that have worked for them in a similar situation, as I want to support my partner as much as possible.
Are you in the UK? But if you're looking for self-help, I'm autistic and recently bought a DBT workbook which I'm finding really helpful because it gives clear instructions rather than talking woo woo. Don't get me wrong. Talking helps sometimes as a way to vent but, I think because I'm autistic, I need something I can "do".

M

MBG

Experienced
Jul 14, 2023

MAGIC MUSHROOMS
Legality depends upon your country, state and even city. Research safe use online. Start with low and go slow to see how it affects you. Segmented chocolate bars (~$50-75) allow you to crudely control the dosage. Things usually start happening at ~2 grams of mushrooms. I would not go over 3.5 grams for mental health benefits (vs recreational use). I would use on a Saturday morning to have the whole weekend to recover before needing to go to work. I would not take more than 1 trip a week. Have a non using sitter/friend to keep you safe. Look into microdosing.

NB do not use if you or family member has bipolar disorder, psychosis, schizophrenia or if you're under 25 yo or pregnant or breastfeeding

NONE OF THIS IS MEDICAL OR LEGAL ADVICE!!!

Prof Matthew Johnson (Johns Hopkins) "How Dangerous?"

ER Doc MM vs Depression

Prof Andrew Huberman (Stanford) re MM
https://youtu.be/eIxVfln02Ss

Last edited:
statue

statue

May 18, 2024
For me, watching YouTube channels such as Dr. K along side having a good support really helped a lot more than therapy itself as someone who has been to several different therapists and on different anti-depressants. Each person is different with different needs ofc so it might not work for your partner or their circumstances.

For things such as Anxiety and Depression, I'd recommend looking into things such as CBT. As in Cognitive behavioral therapy, not the other two definitions lol. A lot of these things are possible to do yourself and might help improve things. Sadly, cognitive behavioral therapy doesn't work s well with situational depression. The key part is first finding out why one is depressed. Most of the time it's a mixture of environment and brain chemistry. This can definitely help with depression coming from within but not so much outside. So it might help at the very least. It definitely made my life more manageable. I still go through periods of depression but it has helped me with suicidal ideation a fuck ton.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is also very popular so there's a lot of online resources for it. Hope this helps!
If you are looking for cheaper therapists, you could try outsourcing to online therapists from different countries. As in, find therapists that speak English or any other languages you might speak from countries where therapy is cheaper then meeting up with them on zoom. This will only work if you're from a first world country though. Ofc, be very wary of scams. For example, from a quick google search, I found a Nigerian therapists that does online sessions in English that charges 25k Naira per session and is certified on a site called therapytribe.com.

Last edited: