• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
Yesterday I had my first appointment with the MH Community team's psychiatrist. It was a bit more than 2 hours where I basically retold my whole life story and discovered that the Crisis Team had taken my history wrong on some parts.

Contrary to the Crisis team psychiatrist who only cared whether I wanted to die or not, this one was concerned for the fact that I had years of hearing voices when I was a late teen and that from October last year I had hallucinations and delusions. She said the return of psychotic symptoms was significant and that I could have a relapse.

We talked about the medication I was given from the Crisis team (200mg Sertraline and 3mg Risperidone) and how it made me gain weight, killed my emotions and ruined my libido therefore killing the intimate relationship with my boyfriend. I told her I stopped the meds cold turkey because of this, and because I was abandoned by the Crisis team and had no psychiatrist afterwards. She scolded me for stopping the meds, even though that's what saved my intimate relationship and having had sex again having made me feel a bit better

Because of this she suggested me taking Aripiprazole and Vortioxetine. I asked to read the side effects before agreeing to be medicated, to which she reacted in a negative way, annoyed and quickly telling me to call back today if I want the meds.

For context, I haven't had psychotic symptoms for almost 2 months now, and I've been off the meds for that time. I'm very sad, I cry every day and I passively think about suicide, obviously I know that isn't normal but since the experience with the previous meds I'm left wondering if these meds are worth it. What are they supposed to do to me? With the previous meds I didn't feel happy, I felt numb, is that much better than being sad? What am I getting in exchange here?

It may sound dumb but I also think about the ocasional gin I like to drink, which gives me around 2 hours of happiness. Do I really want to give that up for...being numb? I read through the side effects of one of the meds, the majority of them don't even have a category (common, uncommon, rare, etc) they just say it can't be measured.

Has anyone taken these meds? How was your experience? With so many people here having life long consequences from meds I became scared...and I guess I may be preferring the devil I know rather than the one I don't...

AnxietyHangover

AnxietyHangover

Global Moderator
Aug 20, 2022
Hello,

I used to take Aripiprazole (brand name Abilify, etc.) and it worked great for me. No side effects that I could notice, and the bugs and the car alarms stopped. I would definitely recommend it to you that you at least try it. In my opinion it's a fairly safe antipsychotic.

Vortioxetine I didn't take but from what I was able to read online looks like a fairly safe drug, so I would try that too. If you notice sexual side effects just ask the doctor for another antidepressant like Bupropion.

Regards.

real human being

real human being

full of broken thoughts
Jan 28, 2022
You should know that antidepressants and antipsychotics can have some severe side effects that can even be long lasting after you stop taking the medication. Antidepressants cause emotional blunting for the vast majority of users. PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction) is a possibility.

You can also read more here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8061256/

• Informative
Reactions: ForgottenAgain
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
You should know that antidepressants and antipsychotics can have some severe side effects that can even be long lasting after you stop taking the medication. Antidepressants cause emotional blunting for the vast majority of users. PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction) is a possibility.

You can also read more here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8061256/
Thank you for that info and for the link. That's the reason why I'm worried about starting meds even though the psychiatrist didn't spend any time talking about side effects, she was really annoyed that I even asked to look at side effects first.

One thing I don't like is how I have never seen PSSD as a side effect on meds like Sertraline which I know are SSRIs

real human being

real human being

full of broken thoughts
Jan 28, 2022
Thank you for that info and for the link. That's the reason why I'm worried about starting meds even though the psychiatrist didn't spend any time talking about side effects, she was really annoyed that I even asked to look at side effects first.

One thing I don't like is how I have never seen PSSD as a side effect on meds like Sertraline which I know are SSRIs
Psychiatry is a messed up industry. I'd hardly even call it a science. I'm really sorry about your situation. I wish we all had better help and better options.

• Hugs
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
If I remember rightly, vortioxetine has less sexual side effects than the others.

PSSD is horrifying but it is rare.

I'd say try the meds - you can always come off them.

• Hugs