• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

moonmoon

moonmoon

Nov 14, 2023
I just graduated in 2023 with a degree in computer science and two certificates in related subjects. Made the mistake of not getting any internships. I've sent out 200+ applications for anything from internships to entry-level positions. The best I've gotten were around 10 rejections out of all the applications I've done.

I fought so hard for so long to finish my degree. It took me 6 years and I nearly killed myself multiples times throughout college. I kept pushing even though it was hell because I was hopeful I would get a job and finally make enough to afford to improve my quality of life immensely. Now, here I am, 5 months after graduation still working for a retail store. I've read and heard so many stories about how it's impossible to find an entry-level job or land an internship from people who are way more qualified than I am in my field. One of my tutors told me he was only tutoring because he was laid-off and still looking for work even though he'd been in a programming job for 5 years at that point.

Everything feels like it was for nothing. I'm stuck in a shitty manual labor job and I come home covered in cuts and bruises everyday with 40K in debt. Everyone is telling me, "you will find something!" and suggesting things to try and land a job like I haven't been doing everything in my power to land a job. I am so tired of fighting and struggling. I knew it was stupid for me to be hopeful, but I did it anyways. If I never had hope, it wouldn't have hurt as bad; I'm a moron for thinking my suffering would end.

Been thinking about going back to trade school to be an electrician, but I just feel like it'd be my luck to not land a job. I'd just be wasting my time suffering when I could be dead and at peace.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: AshH, ApparentlyNot, Zanmato and 7 others
K

Kalista

Failed hard to pull the trigger - Now using SN
Feb 5, 2023
it's too late until you actually reach the end of the line for education. the amount of effort that kids place for some fucking degree is insane and very unnecessary. the amount of money that's spent just so you can get that one job you were aiming for since the beginning is robbery. now you have to place more effort into getting a job that will pay you enough to pay all of your debt overtime. that's not even factoring the type of work environment you'll be in whether you'll get treated like shit or you'll get lucky to find a healthy work space. if the former, then that's more mental stress you'd have to deal with.

the ridiculous optimism that others place when they say "you will find something!" is very ignorant. these tend to be older generations who had a much better time getting a job when they were younger versus now.
that optimism is also a trap a lot of the time as you've now experienced.

i can only hope no one is pressuring you further to find a job. you need a fucking mental break after studying for years and working your ass off trying to meet every ridiculous deadline the professors set.

know that there are people with masters degree out there that works in a minimum wage job and struggles to find a job that fits their skills. doesn't help your situation, but the point is the optimism placed in this situation is not realistic.

the people close to you didn't properly prepare you for the real world and this falls on them. you've done your part well enough.

Reactions: Zanmato, ijustwishtodie, cloakedbear and 1 other person
Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
Hey at least you got your degree in something useful and not psychology like me, lol

Not that I don't think you'd eventually find a CS job, but getting into a trade wouldn't be a bad idea imo. They are always needing people and generally pay well.

My dad's an electrician, step-dad's a mechanic, they've both said there's a shortage of young people wanting those types of jobs

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

It's beautiful down there in Hell.
Apr 17, 2023
Hey at least you got your degree in something useful and not psychology like me, lol

Not that I don't think you'd eventually find a CS job, but getting into a trade wouldn't be a bad idea imo. They are always needing people and generally pay well.

My dad's an electrician, step-dad's a mechanic, they've both said there's a shortage of young people wanting those types of jobs
Why don't you do a trade?
I just graduated in 2023 with a degree in computer science and two certificates in related subjects. Made the mistake of not getting any internships. I've sent out 200+ applications for anything from internships to entry-level positions. The best I've gotten were around 10 rejections out of all the applications I've done.

I fought so hard for so long to finish my degree. It took me 6 years and I nearly killed myself multiples times throughout college. I kept pushing even though it was hell because I was hopeful I would get a job and finally make enough to afford to improve my quality of life immensely. Now, here I am, 5 months after graduation still working for a retail store. I've read and heard so many stories about how it's impossible to find an entry-level job or land an internship from people who are way more qualified than I am in my field. One of my tutors told me he was only tutoring because he was laid-off and still looking for work even though he'd been in a programming job for 5 years at that point.

Everything feels like it was for nothing. I'm stuck in a shitty manual labor job and I come home covered in cuts and bruises everyday with 40K in debt. Everyone is telling me, "you will find something!" and suggesting things to try and land a job like I haven't been doing everything in my power to land a job. I am so tired of fighting and struggling. I knew it was stupid for me to be hopeful, but I did it anyways. If I never had hope, it wouldn't have hurt as bad; I'm a moron for thinking my suffering would end.

Been thinking about going back to trade school to be an electrician, but I just feel like it'd be my luck to not land a job. I'd just be wasting my time suffering when I could be dead and at peace.
Trade school seems to be your option. If it doesn't work, the bus is always there.

Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
Why don't you do a trade?
They're still pretty male-dominated and from what I've heard I don't think I'd fit into the culture well. I only brought it up bc they seemed to be considering it

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

It's beautiful down there in Hell.
Apr 17, 2023
They're still pretty male-dominated and from what I've heard I don't think I'd fit into the culture well. I only brought it up bc they seemed to be considering it
What will you do then for work?

S

SMmetalhead36

Ready to have my forever date with suicide
Oct 6, 2023

My dad's an electrician, step-dad's a mechanic, they've both said there's a shortage of young people wanting those types o

I can relate. I made the mistake of stopping nursing to pursue psychology after taking a developmental psychology prerequisite course. It was then I fell in love with psychology. Fast forward, I got an an Associate, then a Bachelor's and I thought I was set. WRONG! I remember crying for an hour thinking about time I wasted and I realized I couldn't do as much as I thought I could luckily I had no debt due to pay as you go. Fast forward, up till now I got a masters in general psychology and I get discouraged seeing mostly clinical job postings and I refuse to do anymore schooling because I been in and out of school for 8 years.

Reactions: Beyond_Repair
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I'm in a similar predicament. I've spent ten years working a very labor intensive job and it's catching up to me physically and mentally. I honestly just want to quit because I don't want to work there anymore but I don't have alternatives.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: ApparentlyNot, Zanmato, ijustwishtodie and 2 others
Zanmato

Zanmato

Apr 4, 2024
I've sent out 200+ applications for anything from internships to entry-level positions. The best I've gotten were around 10 rejections out of all the applications I've done.

Damn, I can relate so much.
I'm just so tired.
If they ever call back, they just disappear right after.
Sometimes, I know for sure that they call other persons too, but then they write another job announcement again
I mean, wtf?
No one is good enough?
I just can't believe that.