fishlover

fishlover

in the end, nothing matters
Sep 17, 2023
i've recently been put on 25mg of zoloft that ive been taking for about 2 weeks now, mostly for my anxiety. its been going well ish so far, minor side effects and i feel generally happier and more amicable, although at the same time i feel more of an urge to actively kill myself at any given moment; ie. jumping into the subway train tracks and touching the 3rd rail.

the thing is im a huge stoner, and im aware of cannabis having some interactions with zoloft, but i don't know much. my doctor basically gave me no warnings so all the info i have is from the internet and the one piece of informational paper it came with from the pharmacy.
before taking the medicine i smoked every day, and i did try to refrain from weed for a bit when i first started, but im back to my old routine of weed everyday. nothing has happened yet except for some really intense drowsiness.

id like to know anyone else's experiences with zoloft- especially if you have or are actively smoking weed while taking it. i might just be getting lucky cuz im on a low dose and i have a high weed tolerance but idkšŸ˜“

landslide2

landslide2

Arcanist
May 6, 2024
You are on a therapeutic dose and its good to know its having positive effects. It usually takes a few weeks to build up in your system and there are some physical side effects. It's also not uncommon to have some increased negative thoughts when you first start such meds.

I think the larger issue may be that you have a high weed tolerance, and there are other kinds of risks such as cannabis use disorder which has shown links to psychosis. But the interaction of weed and sertraline is moderate, though it could lead to serotonin syndrome. Cannabis prevents ssri from metabolizing, thus increasing the concentration of the ssri. but you're on a pretty low dose of sertraline, ...but you also have a high weed tolerance.

i used cannabis everyday for a very long period and also developed a high tolerance. Many years ago psych was more concerned by what can be described as abusing cannabis than mixing w/sertraline at the time. as an analogy, someone can have a high alcohol tolerance but that doesn't mean its doing wonders for their liver. Personally, it had a negative effect on my mental health, at one point very likely increased psychosis symptoms. if i was using it moderately i would've fared better.
overall negative enough that i cant use cannabis anymore, and i can go to a store a few blocks away to buy it if i wanted.
but that's me.

more studies are being done re: cannabis + ssris, cannabis + psychosis, cannabis + depression, cannabis + young minds, etc...

• Love
Reactions: fishlover