worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
So tired of these "hotline" pop ups every time I research methods. I wonder how many operators are easily bored and get a thrill out of the drama or something. I read were many EMTs feel like that.

Isn't like people are dialing a friend. No bond there. Just biological robots on the other end if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lena, Schopenhauer, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Makoto Naegi

Makoto Naegi

Given up.
Oct 20, 2018
A bit off topic, but have you seen how some people have told about their experiences with hotline numbers? A lot of them were just like "oh that sucks" or just hung up. Really inspiring.

Reactions: betteroffdead, Jen Erik, Schopenhauer and 3 others
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
A bit off topic, but have you seen how some people have told about their experiences with hotline numbers? A lot of them were just like "oh that sucks" or just hung up. Really inspiring.
I only called one a couple years ago to see what it was like. The dude was totally disengaged. I really just needed someone to talk to.

Reactions: Schopenhauer, Makoto Naegi and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
Probably some are pro-lifers, some it's for work/volunteer experience to put on a resume, some find it interesting listening to people's problems.

Reactions: Terminally drunk, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and worldexploder
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
So tired of these "hotline" pop ups every time I research methods. I wonder how many operators are easily bored and get a thrill out of the drama or something. I read were many EMTs feel like that.

Isn't like people are dialing a friend. No bond there. Just biological robots on the other end if that makes sense.

I'm thinking about calling my country's suicide hotline to see what their script says. But then, I don't want to hate humanity more. I can't decide...

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and worldexploder
Makoto Naegi

Makoto Naegi

Given up.
Oct 20, 2018
I only called one a couple years ago to see what it was like. The dude was totally disengaged. I really just needed someone to talk to.
I'm so fucking sorry that happened to you. It genuinely makes me fucking sick to read that. Gotta love this shitty fucking world.

Reactions: worldexploder
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
From my own experience of calling - I believe that their main determination is to simply delay you and keep you talking. They don't really talk too deeply about solving problems. They aren't doctors - oftentimes they're volunteers. Just keep you in the line until you change your mind and get out of crisis.

Reactions: faex42, wxtyubidi7y and worldexploder
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I'm so fucking sorry that happened to you. It genuinely makes me fucking sick to read that. Gotta love this shitty fucking world.
Thanks man. To me it was just arrivating. It was literally like talking to a voice automated message system.

Reactions: Makoto Naegi
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
From my own experience of calling - I believe that their main determination is to simply delay you and keep you talking. They don't really talk too deeply about solving problems. They aren't doctors - oftentimes they're volunteers. Just keep you in the line until you change your mind and get out of crisis.
Good point. Plus they probably got a lot of phone calls in sequence. I could never reconcile with these anti-choice "suicide is never the answer" people.

Makoto Naegi

Makoto Naegi

Given up.
Oct 20, 2018
Thanks man. To me it was just arrivating. It was literally like talking to a voice automated message system.
Np. It's pretty fucked up tbh. God why would anyone actually agree to do that if they don't care? I'm a shitty fucking person but even I wouldn't do something like that.

worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I'd like to see a pro-choice Hotline pop up. To even things out. Make it fair.

Reactions: Makoto Naegi
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
Good point. Plus they probably got a lot of phone calls in sequence. I could never reconcile with these anti-choice "suicide is never the answer" people.
Yes people have talked on here of the suicide chat - the one that comes up first on google when you search for suicide - the wait is at times 30+ people deep and very very slow. A huge volume to deal with.

Fcancer

Fcancer

Student
Sep 24, 2018
Yes people have talked on here of the suicide chat - the one that comes up first on google when you search for suicide - the wait is at times 30+ people deep and very very slow. A huge volume to deal with.
Automated robot voice - "You are now number 34 in line, please don't kill yourself in the mean time. Thankyou"

Reactions: betteroffdead, RM5998, Jen Erik and 4 others
Makoto Naegi

Makoto Naegi

Given up.
Oct 20, 2018
Automated robot voice - "You are now number 34 in line, please don't kill yourself in the mean time. Thankyou"
Thank you that just made me laugh my ass off

Reactions: RM5998, Lra888, Schopenhauer and 2 others