• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Are you in favor or against it? In the US it is PBS, in UK BBC (and more in UK?) and in my country there are dfferent channels. There is currently a scandal. Not exactly corruption rather nepotism.
I am still in favor of these channels. At least in my country I don't know enough about BBC or PBS to have an opinion about them. I know there were several scandals concerning trans-rights with the BBC. But I barely know anything about details.

I think information with quality is important in the age of fake news and deep fakes etc. I don't doubt also these public channels have biases and sometimes spread misinformation. But in general the quality of reporting is quite good. At least in my country.
I think in my country they have a bias in favor of left-wing policies. There is so much reporting about climate change, inequality and for example racism. I know these are not necessarily left-wing topics but the way they frame the solution of these problems rather fit the left-wing approach.

But in general I am content with their reportings. They also criticize the far left a lot. Maybe a little bit too much support for centrism. Furthermore I would not feel represented if I was a very conservative person.
The worst bias they have is in their content on Youtube. I enjoy a lot of content they create. Some are really high-quality and very educational. But the content for young people is often very similar to the left-wing perspective. There is the myth the youth was very left-wing. But the last elections proved this wrong. Many young people voted for the (neo) liberal party. And I don't feel like they give enough attention to their policies.

It is quite ironic that I say this. I am a left-winger who sometimes has sympathy for centrism but not always. They make content especially about what I want to hear. Lol. But I try to listen to news and analysis which are against my world view too.

Not sure whether the private companies could compensate the public broadcasting channels if they disappeared. Many people don't want to pay mandatory so much money for them. It is like a subscription service one cannot cancel. I read this argument a lot. They tried to win lawsuits in the highest court but they lost them.

I think the channels are really a benefit for our polarized society. They have flaws for sure. But without them poor people could not get high quality reporting which would damgae our democracy and solidarity.

What is your view on that? Do you like the idea of public broadcasting? How is the situation in your country?

Last edited:
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
Loathsome and demonic.
Also, I find it extremely grim that some British/German/etc. people truly seem to think their national news networks are any less propagandistic than RT.

Last edited:
CowsAgainstCapitali

CowsAgainstCapitali

Dec 11, 2022
I love BBC, PBS ( and NPR) They have consistently produced high quality, factual content for decades. Quality, factual content will always be opposed by some.

The further Left you sit on the spectrum you sit, the further to the right all media sources will appear. If you are a young, inexperienced American currently drinking the State's juice, you will falsely believe mainstream media is left wing. It's all about perspective. Where is yours right now? Hopefully not where it used to be.

By high quality content I am referring mainly to documentaries and science programs. I used to listen BBC world news on NPR just because it was nice to hear some news that wasn't about inter-US politics, which is 99% of news coverage whether it be from Fox or MSNBC. I'm trying to think of another media outlet that produces educational content, but my mind goes to History Channel/TLC, etc. which have lost all credibility.

People will find a way to create scandals and ruin otherwise good things one way or another. It's almost like sabotage sometimes. I don't have any suggestions for keeping a media outlet scandal free other than only involving individuals who hold both high education and correct beliefs therefore unlikely to cause scandal, but that's rather controversial.

Long live public broadcasting!

• Yay!
Reactions: newave3