P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I recently watched Julien Donkey-Boy I am still processing it (have yet to watch Clean, Shaven)

both films are held in high regard due to their more "realistic" approach and portrayal of Schizophrenia/Schizo Affective Disorders

Julien Donkey-Boy is about a teenager and his family and his undiagnosed schizophrenia and his experiences with his family and others around him (the director felt that schizophrenia at the time (film was made in 1999) was romanticized in media so he created this film after visiting his uncle in a care facility and modelled the main character after him)

the other is about a father who just wants to meet his daughter after being released from a mental institution and still dealing with intense auditory and tactile hallucinations

I think it is annoying that in most films especially in the horror (and crime/mystery) genre mental illnesses in general are treated weirdly or as a reason why someone is a villain or antagonist or killer most if not all the time

sometimes with disabilities as well if anyone remembers the films Don't Breathe and Don't Breathe 2

so I am glad I finally heard about these films to be introduced to something different not exaggerated or offensive or antagonistic

but I can't really speak on this as I am not schizophrenic
but I do have a family member who is and I really do wonder what things are like for them so I am exploring/reviewing these films

and would like to hear your guys thoughts and perspective on it all

sorry for a wall of text and rambling