remluvr

remluvr

Trying to Find Forever peace.
Jun 17, 2024
I don't know If I'm the only person on here who seems to have a hard time feeling empathy anymore for the people around me, I use to be a very empathic person before so I'm not sure what happened.. It does make me feel a bit like a monster not being able to feel empathy atm.

Ig I'm just wondering if anyone feels the same sometimes :")

• Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Tired_of_myself and futurebuscatcher
lamargue

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
yea, i feel the same. i used to be highly empathic when i was younger, but that sort of deteriorated as i got older. i can understand why people feel the way they do, but i can never find it in myself to care, unless i have a vested interest in their well-being for other reasons, such as the use they might offer me in the present or future. i am disgusted by it

• Love
Reactions: futurebuscatcher and remluvr
futurebuscatcher

futurebuscatcher

Cat Connoisseur
Sep 15, 2024
I can understand this. Sometimes depression can fuck up your ability to feel emotions including empathy/sympathy. Hell, I'm autistic and it makes understanding emotions hard. I am able to understand why someone feels the way they do but unable to feel with them. Not being able to "feel anything" or get what people are feeling doesn't make you a bad person at all. It's how you respond.

Don't beat yourself up over it, especially if you have been empathetic before. You're emotions are probably overwhelmed or you're a bit burnt out. Better said than done but try and give yourself a breather and spoil yourself or do something that tends to make you a bit happier and it starts to come back even if it's not a lot. At least for me.

You can also see if consuming content with more heavy topics awakens anything. I don't recommend this if this isn't what your going for as it can make your mood worse, but sometimes it sorta jump starts my emotions again.

Sorry for the rant. Anyways. You're not alone I. This and you're not crazy for it.

• Love
Reactions: remluvr
lamargue

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
You can also see if consuming content with more heavy topics awakens anything. I don't recommend this if this isn't what your going for as it can make your mood worse, but sometimes it sorta jump starts my emotions again.
this could also run the risk of completely eliminating any empathy still left, as it did for me. i quite literally feel nothing when i watch gore or consume other forms of explicit content now. so proceed with caution

Reactions: futurebuscatcher
futurebuscatcher

futurebuscatcher

Cat Connoisseur
Sep 15, 2024
this could also run the risk of completely eliminating any empathy still left, as it did for me. i quite literally feel nothing when i watch gore or consume other forms of explicit content now. so proceed with caution
This is also true. Should you do this try something small first. Like a sad animated movie or something

T

twolegs

Sep 17, 2024
I feel the same. I've spent my whole life taking care of people, whether it be me being my mothers therapist or just friends I've had growing up or now even. It's becoming difficult to care about others when I don't think they'd care for me the same if they knew I was struggling. I'm running out of patience for those struggling around me

• Love
Reactions: remluvr