🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
He has PTSD.

Reactions: sserafim and CuriosityAndCat
SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
Basically. Since guys gotta do retarded shit to be valued in society, that implies I'd better level up in my capacity to suffer

I see Goggins as a secular saint of suffering

While it's depressing to say "Well, I'm gonna suffer now", it seems way more motivating to say "I'm gonna push harder". But obviously, one should look for shortcuts, so you're not just being masochistic. Inefficient. The goal isn't suffering, it's getting shit done

Reactions: sserafim
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
David Goggins methods might sound inspirational, but his constant inconsistency in how well he's doing are a symptom of PTSD. I went through similar experiences. Extreme physical exercise is effective at dealing with flashbacks, fight flight freeze, panic attacks, anger, anxiety, etc in the moment. Extremely danger activities also help you feel like you're okay since your physiological responses match your environment and the activity is a distraction that takes up all of your focus. For example jumping off cliffs is calming. It's hard to stop doing physical activities at the same time you're dealing with flashbacks and having panic attacks, and it can be an escape. I've ended up biking, running, and swimming for 6+ hours because of it.

It is painful and is debilitating to live normally. Treating your PTSD is better so you can be consistent and just be okay by yourself without a distraction. PTSD cam also get worse over time for some people. The brain is kinda garbage at dealing with mental stressors and using physical stressors is effective at dealing with symptoms in a given moment. However, avoiding reprocessing the thoughts and beating yourself up doesn't help you move forward. It's also a dangerous process to do without someone experienced.

• Informative
Reactions: Lostandlooking, sserafim and Ambivalent1
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
David Goggins methods might sound inspirational, but his constant inconsistency in how well he's doing are a symptom of PTSD. I went through similar experiences. Extreme physical exercise is effective at dealing with flashbacks, fight flight freeze, panic attacks, anger, anxiety, etc in the moment. Extremely danger activities also help you feel like you're okay since your physiological responses match your environment and the activity is a distraction that takes up all of your focus. For example jumping off cliffs is calming. It's hard to stop doing physical activities at the same time you're dealing with flashbacks and having panic attacks, and it can be an escape. I've ended up biking, running, and swimming for 6+ hours because of it.

It is painful and is debilitating to live normally. Treating your PTSD is better so you can be consistent and just be okay by yourself without a distraction. PTSD cam also get worse over time for some people. The brain is kinda garbage at dealing with mental stressors and using physical stressors is effective at dealing with symptoms in a given moment. However, avoiding reprocessing the thoughts and beating yourself up doesn't help you move forward. It's also a dangerous process to do without someone experienced.
That's interesting. I have bad tendons from a bad reaction to an antibiotic a few years ago, so I can't go all in on physical activity.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nov 2, 2023
That's interesting. I have bad tendons from a bad reaction to an antibiotic a few years ago, so I can't go all in on physical activity.
Taking a walk is nearly as effective. Pretty much any exercise including stationary things like plank.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Taking a walk is nearly as effective. Pretty much any exercise including stationary things like plank.
I have resistance bands. I can't do every exercise in the included chart but I can do some.

CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nov 2, 2023
I have resistance bands. I can't do every exercise in the included chart but I can do some.
Nice! Resistance bands are great. Not sure if you get panic attacks or flashbacks or spiral or the like, but it's effective in the moment. Also get a mechanical timer so you don't get lost working out for longer than an hour.

Reactions: sserafim and Ambivalent1
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Nice! Resistance bands are great. Not sure if you get panic attacks or flashbacks or spiral or the like, but it's effective in the moment. Also get a mechanical timer so you don't get lost working out for longer than an hour.
I will do it even if both Achilles tendons snap. Goggins would be proud of my dedication! He ran a marathon with broken legs.

Ovid

Ovid

FML
Feb 2, 2024
If his philosophy and methods work for you, then that's great. But don't force yourself to follow anyone's ideologies so closely in the hope that it works for you. Good luck!

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
That sounds like gaslighting to me

CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nov 2, 2023
I will do it even if both Achilles tendons snap. Goggins would be proud of my dedication! He ran a marathon with broken legs.
You do you. Exacerbating injuries just ends with you getting stuck in bed, which feels like the worst. Therapy was hard. The workouts were a healthyish escape. It's best to do both. If you find it difficult to just sit with your thoughts, join a weekly meditation group. I joined Art of Living and it works well for me. It's very effective in reducing flashbacks and their impact.