• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
First of all I am not an expert and I don't know all the proper words in English. Moreover I am mentally quite fucked currently this is why I don't have much time for a long research.
So here I go try to sound smart and spread some knowledge. Take it with a grain of salt.

There are 3 problems I think about concerning the title. Once that depression can delude you and that psychosis can delude you. Don't forget the mania.

First of all the what is intersubjectivity: intersubjectivity is the relation or intersection between people's cognittive perspectives.

Intersubjectivity is "The sharing of subjective states by two or more individuals." (Scheff 2006). It refers to shared emotion (attunement), shared attention, and share intention.

Okay when I think about intersubjectivitiy I mean the following. We all live in our own minds. We do not perceive the world always rational and objective. Due to different states of minds our perception can get deluded or distorted. Our emotions, feelings and mental illnesses can influence our way of thinking a lot.

I have experienced this quite often due to my different conditions. During my depressive epsiodes I thought they would last forever. Morevover I falsely thought that it would never get better (which was not true).I think depression can make you feel as if the situation was more hopeless than it really is. Especially when mental illness is something new for the person, the person does not know about the problem of intersubjectivity and has not much education on mental illnesses. This is why one should always question ones own thoughts before making an important decision.

But I would never be this insane as some people who are quite extreme about it. Some people claim mentally ill people could never be rational due to their illness. I think this is an utterly insane assumption. Also "neurotypical" people can have biases and a distorted perceptions.

I have different approaches how to check my mind. I am more often deluded by my psychotic illness. I talk with my friends who know me in real life and who experienced my psychotic symptoms quite often when I am not sure about my perception. I have talked to different therapists and listened to their opinion. I have talked with a lot of professionals about my life and my mind. I have learned a lot. It is interesting to learn new perspectives. Medication is a necessity to control my psychotic symptoms. Without them I would be delusional 24/7. I know which topics can trigger me. It is hard to be self-aware all the time.

It is so interesting. The following was the initial thought which gave me the idea for the thread. If you are in a clinic with a lot of other psychotic people it is literally quite insane. Most people recognitze how other people get distorted. If you are smart and empathetic you can try to analyze what kind of delusional person stands in front of you. There are for example the "security agencies" people, the "supernatural" psychotics, the religious and Jesus types. I have met once a person I think he thought he is on a religious mission. He told me something like "I am Jesus Christ and I am on my religious mission but all around me there are only insane people". Quite ironic isn't it. But I try not to make fun of delusional people it can hurt so much if people do that. I have experienced this more than enough.

This is really something fasciniating. You can clearly see that other people are delusional but it is sometimes so extremely hard to judge whether you are delusional. I think it is really important trying to be self-conscious. Also mania can distort people. Some people enjoy it so much that they don't want to think about the consequences of their actions. It is a little bit embarassing for me not being fully sane. But trying to be self-aware is quite essential in order to improve. There were some people in the psych ward who told themselves yes I have supernatural powers, I am the best and I can do whatever I want. On the one hand it is a benefit having such a high self-esteem. But it is quite the contrast of the reality. Some people lie to themselves in order to avoid uncomfortable truths. Maybe ingorance is really sometimes a bliss.

What do you think about this issue? Do you think you ever were delusional? Sometimes also not psychotic people can be paranoid. But mostly not in a pathological sense. For me it is quite important to be rational about my life, future and decisions. I try therapy in order to achieve that. One could say maybe I am too pessimistic but I am not sure about that. I have experienced horrible pain in the past and yeah I am not happy when I think about my future. But I won't elaborate in detail about that now.

Thanks for reading this! :)

Last edited:
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
I've never experienced delusions. I think you and I are in some way similar personality types. I really value being lucid and informed and reasonable about things whenever possible, and it drives me to a horrible psychological state when I feel trapped in situations with no right way to deal with things in a sane manner. I think you feel similarly. So I can imagine how painful it would be to add delusions to that mix. I'm sorry you have to endure that. I will say though that you might have some reason for optimism, at least from what I've observed just on this website. The types of "delusional" thinking I've seen from you were comparatively mild and you seemed to catch yourself when you really thought about them. The main example I recall was the situation with the professor. So I hope that with enough mental discipline, you'll manage to regulate yourself.

freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
I love your thoughtful posts @noname223. I have most definitely been delusional many many times. I wouldn't describe it as lying to myself, because it is involuntary. It's never a conscious decision to part ways with 'consensual reality'. Psychosis has its own momentum, it's easy to just get swept away. I'm surprised I have any brain cells left. Manic episodes are not compatible with a happy life. They cause us to make terrible decisions. The knock on effects can last a lifetime. There is also a huge amount of shame, humiliation and embarrassment in the aftermath. It's a cruel illness.

I'm still not sure what you mean by intersubjectivity. I will have to go look it up. Is it the internal (subjective) experiences we share with others?

It can be pretty interesting hearing about other people's psychotic worlds. No two are ever the same. One thing I learned was the amazing power of the human mind. I felt I entered and explored other parallel dimensions while in my episodes. If I was asked would I have preferred a 'normal' life with no mental illness I'm honestly not sure. What would that have meant. I wouldn't even be me anymore. I never really aspired to be normal so I suppose in the end…it's all good.

• Love
Reactions: Pluto and noname223
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I love your thoughtful posts @noname223. I have most definitely been delusional many many times. I wouldn't describe it as lying to myself, because it is involuntary. It's never a conscious decision to part ways with 'consensual reality'. Psychosis has its own momentum, it's easy to just get swept away. I'm surprised I have any brain cells left. Manic episodes are not compatible with a happy life. They cause us to make terrible decisions. The knock on effects can last a lifetime. There is also a huge amount of shame, humiliation and embarrassment in the aftermath. It's a cruel illness.

I'm still not sure what you mean by intersubjectivity. I will have to go look it up. Is it the internal (subjective) experiences we share with others?

It can be pretty interesting hearing about other people's psychotic worlds. No two are ever the same. One thing I learned was the amazing power of the human mind. I felt I entered and explored other parallel dimensions while in my episodes. If I was asked would I have preferred a 'normal' life with no mental illness I'm honestly not sure. What would that have meant. I wouldn't even be me anymore. I never really aspired to be normal so I suppose in the end…it's all good.
I don't study psychology and I am no expert but I have listened to psychologists about intersubjectivity. There are different defintions of intersubjectivity. So it can be confusing.

Here is a good explanation in my opinion

"The process of meaning making can be seen as an evolving process of multiple meaning-making activities, simultaneously occurring between two individuals and within each individual. Intersubjectivity, then, can be seen as related to each individual's state of consciousness, made up of many different meanings one is making of the self, including those in and out of awareness and of the body as well as of the mind, emerging from an active engagement with another's state of consciousness to create a dyadic state of consciousness."

My remark: One is inside ones's own consciousness and usually not fully independent of it. Due to the fact we cannot resolve fully of our own consciousness we are prone to distortions and biases. Because the human consciusness is usually affected by those. This is at least my understanding.

• Informative
Reactions: freedompass