C

Cookiecarver

Jul 26, 2020
You could argue that going from nothingness to life has already happened once: there was nothing before you were born, and yet you are here. If this going from nothing to something can happen once, why can't it happen again?

• Hugs
Reactions: 0utsider, greyhound, Efilismislife and 2 others
RealLostSoul

RealLostSoul

once rock bottom, always rock bottom
Oct 11, 2019
Don't worry you will be gone forever. Even philosophically reincarnation makes no sense whatsoever, let alone scientifically.

Reactions: 0utsider, ithappens, Ame and 3 others
Busticket

Busticket

Student
May 18, 2021
Like many things no one knows 100% for sure.
However I believe that according to science it's very unlikely.
I personally think that this life is a one time thing never to happen again, like the shuffle of a dice (the universe)
The dice might be shuffled an infinite times ( a big bang followed by a contraction and then another big bang) but every time it's a different result.
I believe we live in one version out of those infinite times.

Reactions: 0utsider, Journeytoletgo and Cookiecarver
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Just because of what you said, I think eternal nothingness might be possible and quite cool because we won't even realize we don't exist anymore lol.

However, it's really a mystery. Why exist at all if we're gonna disappear?

I hope I'm not in a f*cking simulation! (which might be true due to how fast technology is improving)

Reactions: 0utsider, alwaysSuffering and death137
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
I also ask the same question. No one knows for sure so I think it's best to be open minded to all possibilities. But out of all the claims I heard I think nothingness seems that most likely. I wish we knew the truth.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Ame and Efilismislife
xrafinha

xrafinha

Mar 29, 2021
I wish we could live again the same life and don't be bound to the same mistakes

• Hugs
Reactions: Journeytoletgo and Ame
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think when we lose consciousness when we die, that is the end of us. I believe there is nothing after death. We don't really know though what happens but I think at least my death is the end of me, even if I live on in some form I won't be myself.

BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit

Staring at the edge
Apr 28, 2021
Your particular mind and body will never exist again after you die. So "you", the one asking this question, will forever be gone.

Though it can be argued that at any point in time there are new lifeforms being created, each with their own sentience. If you were to identify yourself with consciousness itself instead of your particular body-mind complex, then it would be feasible to say that 'you' will be reborn in one of those new consciousnesses. In such a way that all memories and personality traits are gone, and only a new perspective from which to view the universe is created, which then would be 'you'. This view would perhaps fall in line with open individualism: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_individualism

However, I think that this is merely a mind game of sorts. Every lifeform has their own idiosyncratic way of experiencing the world. These particular perspectives only exist for a finite time, after which they fade into nothingness. All new sentience which is created afterwards is unique in its own way and can't be compared with those that came before it.

Reactions: 0utsider, ithappens, Ame and 2 others
Efilismislife

Efilismislife

Psychopath family tortured me
May 25, 2021
Who knows what happen after the body decomposing and what happens to all our cells

What happen before were born, are we sperm?

Also in this video it explained from science standpoint

Whats death? is cell alive? is dna alive? If everything in this universe made of same stuff, does this mean everything in this universe is alive or everything in this universe is dead?

hermes

hermes

Student
Jun 4, 2021
How can one scientifically speak of something (afterlife) without any data from afterlife?

All we can have some hypotheses and some beliefs. Each religion has its only theories and atheist their own.

Reality is nobody knows.

Reactions: Ame
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
You can consistently ponder theories 'could it be that we create our own reality' 'what I think manifests' etc.
But you eventually boil down to realizing theres no way of proving anything.
And having faith is simply trusting/believing something to be real.

I think all you can do is find what makes you feel good/who makes you feel good.

I boil the kettle to make a coffee, I trust it exists to the extent if I'm not careful it burns me, and also if I don't take fluids I feel ill so I'm trusting dehydration from experience, but I also ponder that they may just be concepts of an illusion I am trapped in.

Basically I dont trust anybody who values their beliefs over anyone else's.

S

shaveashaved

Jan 11, 2021
what does life tell you? maybe you have all the answers. if it tells you there's life after death, then probably there is. if you are 100% sure there isn't, then probably there isn't. it's upto you.

ExistentialEntropy

ExistentialEntropy

we all go home eventually
Jul 4, 2020
Science is woefully ill equipped to speak about consciousness beyond death, or even consciousness itself. This is why many still turn to spirituality for insight.

In my own nondual view of the world, death is just a more extreme version of falling asleep. When we are asleep our awareness does not cease, but the body and the ego vanish from our awareness. This vanishing of the body and space and time during sleep is something we all look forward to. We do not fear sleep. By extension there is no reason to fear death.

Reactions: whitefeather and BottomlessPit