• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eridanos

Eridanos

Confused
Feb 24, 2020
I lurked this forum for awhile and had a previous account beside this one before, unfortunately due to an issue I lost my credentials so I basically lost the entire account.

When I first started out with this new account one of the first things I began to notice was the reaction count under each profile. I somewhat began feeling pressured, like if I didn't have enough reactions on my posts I was completely invalidated.
All the profiles I saw had such an high reaction/post ratio that I began feeling like I was inferior to everyone.
Even then I knew this was just an irrational feeling, I never let myself condition too much from it but I must admit it still caused me anxiety from time to time.

I know that I may just be the weird one out but I think it should be removed from the threads, it's still a nice type of data to be displayed so I don't think there shouldn't be any possible way to view it, I just think that having it displayed under the propic in threads may be a cause of anxiety for others as it was from me, maybe it should be displayed only when openining one's profile page.

In alternative you could have an option to just stop it from seeing from your own end without having to impact everyone.

I know it may just be a stupid issue, what do you think?

Vault of Memories

Vault of Memories

A temporary being in a temporary world
Mar 24, 2020
Maybe a way to hide your own total? I don't really have too much of an issue with it on here, but I could see it being compared to those people who get hundreds of likes on their social media pictures vs people like me who'd get maybe 10-30. I know I'd feel inferior to them. It made me think I wasn't as "cool" or "worthy" enough to be associated with them. It's rather sad how that can damage your self esteem.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I don't pay much attention to or unless the subject is brought up but I can see how it could be an issue.
People constantly mention how social media cam be toxic especially for young people who are constantly comparing themselves to others.
One would hope that this little corner of the internet would want to try and be different to that, at least as much as possible.
So yes, I tend to think losing the reaction count on the profile in posts could be a.good idea. It could still exist on profiles for those that want to see it.

not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
I don't pay much attention to or unless the subject is brought up but I can see how it could be an issue.
People constantly mention how social media cam be toxic especially for young people who are constantly comparing themselves to others.
One would hope that this little corner of the internet would want to try and be different to that, at least as much as possible.
So yes, I tend to think losing the reaction count on the profile in posts could be a.good idea. It could still exist on profiles for those that want to see it.

I have to agree … I don't really pay attention to it either. Sometimes I notice it but I'm not checking all the time obsessing over it.
That is just me though. I agree that maybe there could be an option put in under settings so people don't have to view their likes.
I know they are busy just keeping the site up but maybe they could look into it.

A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
An odd thought, but approaching it from a different point of view does make sense.
I've seen karma farmers on Reddit, so I kind of get where you're coming from. I'm not entire sure what they use it for, if they use it at all, and if they do, then how...
But yes, I agree, there are people who do care about their likes and whatnot. Very common nowadays. I vote Yes on the proposition of a "don't show like count" button.

Reactions: Epsilon0
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
I'm guessing (as an old fart who didn't grow up in this online world) that the original idea may have been along the lines of guiding new users to the members who were more experienced in offering good advice etc. But then the modern world crashes in & you have users with massive 'likes' that seem to have been created by mostly talking crap.

If you want experience then maybe better to see how long someone has been a member before you take their advice, rather than 3 thousand folks like them so they must be right. We are not social media so I don't think we should try to be.

The ramblings of an old fart......

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
Status
Not open for further replies.