W

!WILL!

Mar 27, 2021
I remember when I was younger and my parents found out that I was self harming through my counselor. All they had to say was that I had no good reason to hurt myself and that I was "making them look bad" and told me to never see my counselor again because it made them look like bad parents. After that I stopped going to school counselors because they were obligated to tell my parents if I was suicidal or self harming and failed to offer me the support I needed. This continually got worse as my parents would bring this up anytime they were yelling at me and saying that they better not tell a counselor about how they were treating me and "disgrace" them again. Even though this was all quite awhile ago I still struggle to deal with my emotions because of this. I just laugh at and bully myself when I feel suicidal because I feel spoiled and that there's something wrong with me because I haven't gotten over my feelings yet. It's sad to think that my life could've ended up differently had I just gotten the support I needed back then. Quite frankly, if I just had supportive parents I most likely wouldn't have even started self harming to begin with.Years have passed until then and it's too late to reverse the damage. Sorry if this post doesn't sound coherent, I just needed to do some ranting.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, N2Narcosis, Luu and 13 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I guess your parents, just like mine and many people, just can't understand the way you feel.

Reactions: LifeQuitter2018, RedHarlequin, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
W

!WILL!

Mar 27, 2021
I guess your parents, just like mine and many people, just can't understand the way you feel.
Yeah, I guess it can be hard to understand but some people won't even try to help and will be surprised when someone actually ends up killing themselves.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LifeQuitter2018, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and WornOutLife
vrotka

vrotka

Nov 21, 2019
I can relate to dismissive unsupportive parental figures.
My mother cussed me out and called me ungrateful when I came forward about the fact that I just backed out from a suicide attempt. And when I was a kid/teen and struggled with getting bullied all support I was getting was "if you keep being like this you wont make it out in the real world". You can guess for what this "supportive sentence" became a fuel for.

• Hugs
Reactions: RedHarlequin and mossball
rotten

rotten

Student
Apr 14, 2021
My parents were the same way when they found out about my attempt via school. They're exactly the type that would be like "suck it up you ungrateful b****" But then when something bad happens they suddenly whip out a bunch of tears for show. That's what mine did and it's truly the most disgusting thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossball
mossball

mossball

Apr 6, 2021
I'm so sorry that your parents treated you like that. It's so shitty to prioritize their image over you.

My parents did the same, denying me treatment and all that. And now they got contacted by a hospital about me wanting to ctb and they're gaslighting the shit out of me — saying that I'm lying and they always tried to help me.

There's a good saying for neglectful parents: "The tree remembers what the axe forgets."

And don't worry, your post wasn't incoherent at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: !WILL!, LifeQuitter2018, zeroshark and 2 others