• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
Why it seems to me all of these are temporary but actually becoming new permanent problem that we can only ignore (or surrender)? Are these really the best of what they are suggesting?

1. Covid mask, can't believe it's 3 years already can't be in public without mask
2. Digital surveillance, no privacy, data leaks etc
3. Job and finance out of fear and greed
4. Procreation and overpopulation
5. Capitalism
6. Censorship
7. Suicide hotlines
8. ...

T

TLEEA

dismas
Aug 7, 2022
To be honest, the prospect of assisted suicide only adds to the problem of suicide. Dogmas are the reason why morality is a thing. No one sexually assaults someone because the punishment to the offender is very severe. Likewise, no one can just kill themselves because of the need to maintain the integrity of their friends and family. If that dogma of suicide were to be somehow relieved because of assisted suicide, it would just make things way worse.

Reactions: Euthanza
Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
To be honest, the prospect of assisted suicide only adds to the problem of suicide. Dogmas are the reason why morality is a thing. No one sexually assaults someone because the punishment to the offender is very severe. Likewise, no one can just kill themselves because of the need to maintain the integrity of their friends and family. If that dogma of suicide were to be somehow relieved because of assisted suicide, it would just make things way worse.
Isn't suicide a permanent solution?
I'm fine with dogmas as long as people don't make it a law for everyone else. Most people can't go on without dogmas, even if it's like what you said, it would make things way worse. It's a fair trade on personal level, not societal.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Where are you that masks are still required? Few people around my part of the world (FL, USA) wear them. Even doctors have stopped wearing them.

As for the other problems, I think western civilization (sorry if I incorrectly assumed your country of origin) is in decline. We have too many people with competing interests fighting for control. Advanced societies cannot sustain themselves indefinitely. Due to our technological progress, I suspect we wouldn't backslide as far as Europe did after the fall of the Roman Empire, but no one can really know until it happens.

Regarding climate change, I am a Doomer. I would be willing to try some of the more aggressive policy changes environmentally conscious Leftists have proposed, but I'm not sure they would work. I honestly don't see how it ends without lots of death and a drastic dip in our living standards. We can either choose how we get to that point and make the ride as gentle as possible or throw caution to the wind and let global warming and/or peak oil decide for us. In the best case scenario, we live a lot like the Mennonites or Amish. Most of us return to working the fields and will be poorly educated, but we can meet our basic needs, and the environment isn't ruined. Any remaining fossil fuels are burned in small enough quantities that it no longer affects the climate that much.

To return to one of the major topics you actually mentioned, I am not surprised that censorship and digital surveillance are the norm now. There was simply no way governments would give the people that much freedom. In many ways, anonymity has been abused. Just take a look at the dark web and all the terrible things that are traded there. If you read some of the early libertarian/anarchist theorists in computer science, their naiveté about human nature is breathtaking. That they thought we would all sing Kumbaya in utopic geocities and see unprecedented human flourishing makes for good sci-fi only.

Reactions: Euthanza
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I can't follow what you're saying. Btw, capitalize your username.

Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
Where are you that masks are still required? Few people around my part of the world (FL, USA) wear them. Even doctors have stopped wearing them.

As for the other problems, I think western civilization (sorry if I incorrectly assumed your country of origin) is in decline. We have too many people with competing interests fighting for control. Advanced societies cannot sustain themselves indefinitely. Due to our technological progress, I suspect we wouldn't backslide as far as Europe did after the fall of the Roman Empire, but no one can really know until it happens.

Regarding climate change, I am a Doomer. I would be willing to try some of the more aggressive policy changes environmentally conscious Leftists have proposed, but I'm not sure they would work. I honestly don't see how it ends without lots of death and a drastic dip in our living standards. We can either choose how we get to that point and make the ride as gentle as possible or throw caution to the wind and let global warming and/or peak oil decide for us. In the best case scenario, we live a lot like the Mennonites or Amish. Most of us return to working the fields and will be poorly educated, but we can meet our basic needs, and the environment isn't ruined. Any remaining fossil fuels are burned in small enough quantities that it no longer affects the climate that much.

To return to one of the major topics you actually mentioned, I am not surprised that censorship and digital surveillance are the norm now. There was simply no way governments would give the people that much freedom. In many ways, anonymity has been abused. Just take a look at the dark web and all the terrible things that are traded there. If you read some of the early libertarian/anarchist theorists in computer science, their naiveté about human nature is breathtaking. That they thought we would all sing Kumbaya in utopic geocities and see unprecedented human flourishing makes for good sci-fi only.
I'm Indonesian, every one here in the city still use mask on daily basis, can't go in the mall without health tracking application permission.

Nobody's here even aware what's climate change or really try anything but autopilot, especially on policy makers level it's nothing but lips service. We are very religious country and probably god's taking care of everything, except corruption.

I can't follow what you're saying. Btw, capitalize your username.
Yeah, too many issues ... I can change my name tomorrow.