Lonelyhotcake

Lonelyhotcake

(I speak spanish).
Mar 16, 2023
(CONTEXT): I've been sex*ally abused by an ex boyfriend.

So, I meet a guy and we became friends, he was really sweet and I fall for him... but now I think it was just an obsession...

It's like I don't love myself anymore after what happened to me, so I craved his love and attention so bad... I feel like he is a "good guy" and if he falls for me that means that I'm a "good girl" too and not a "sl*t".

However, he friendzoned me (for valid reasons: he doesn't want a relationship)... but... I can't avoid thinking that he doesn't liked me as a girlfriend for being hypersex*al and "easy", or for being "used" or "broken" or "dirty"... and I know those are just my thoughts but I can't avoid thinking that... it hurts so much.

I feel so lonely because he was my friend... but I can't keep talking to him because when he gives me any kind of attention, my brain goes "OMG HE LIKES ME!" and he gets unconfortable because he really doesn't want a relationship.

I don't know if this is normal, so: 1) I need to know if this happened to someone else, and 2) I just wanted to share this in case someone needed to know they are not alone.

If this "symptom" has a name, please let me know.

(Offtopic: I've noticed how no one comments in the "Recovery" section posts... but "Suicide discussion" has a lot of attention. However, I get it, it's a pro-suicide website lol).

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Why am i still here, Valky, pepe_felipe and 4 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
i dont know the name of the symptom or if it has one, but i wanted to let you know that its normal for people to have been in the type of situation you were with your ex to feel that way. i have for years.

• Love
Reactions: Lonelyhotcake and UsagiDrop
HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

Eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
Everyone responds to SA differently. I'm not a psychologist or a therapist, but unfortunately have experience and met people who went through something similar. Do not take my advice as absolute. I seriously implore you reach out to professional support and if you are unable to or uncomfortable doing so for any reason, reach to a friend or worse case scenario, my DMs are open (though once again, am not qualified for professional advice and may not help you besides basic knowledge).

Sexual assult can sometimes lead your body to become hypersexual, hyperaroused, or obsessed emotionally. When SA happens, it can sometimes reprogram the mind. Some people (such as I) struggle with "liking" the abuse because our bodies were only trained into thinking it was a good thing. Sex is an evolutionary trait that let's us reproduce, so it's only natural for our bodies to try to cling into anything sexual or emotionally bonding, good or bad, traumatic or not. These feelings and emotions sometimes have triggers, such as you falling for him and wanting to build a relationship to replace the old one.

It overall sounds like a trauma response to SA, especially if you never felt that way before the SA. You don't sound like you're in a good place emotionally for a relationship at the moment, though that decision is up to you in the end. Some of the symptoms sounds like PTSD or BPD (which can be manifested from SA), however, that needs to be properly diagnosed by a professional and not someone like me.

• Love
Reactions: Lonelyhotcake and UsagiDrop
UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

“What a beautiful day to haunt the earth.”
Apr 27, 2023
Thank you for sharing! I do hope that it makes other people feel better or less alone, if they are going through this. I think I went through something similar. I would say that obsession is a lot more than this but I am also not a qualified professional. What you have sounds like a standard crush; like you really like this person and your brain is trying to rationalize any attention as him returning your affections. I think that is kind of normal, and it is also normal to try to fill in the gaps of reasoning in the face of rejection when the object of our affection gives us a vague but valid excuse, like not being ready for a committed relationship (the "with you" is almost always silent).
I can't avoid thinking that he doesn't liked me as a girlfriend for being hypersex*al and "easy", or for being "used" or "broken" or "dirty"... and I know those are just my thoughts but I can't avoid thinking that... it hurts so much.
First of all, I want to say that you are not used, broken or dirty. Perhaps you may be hypersexual in the aftermath of sexual abuse, and that is normal too. It's a trauma response. There is no shame in that, as you didn't deserve to be abused in that way, and it is possible to come back from this. With that being said, if the person you like is decent, he probably doesn't think of you this way. At least not in a derogatory way.

But if you are hypersexual, then that is a valid reason for someone to have some doubts about entering a relationship with you imo. In general, it is wise to handle our traumas and the ways that we deal with them before dumping them on other people, if we can. Hypersexuality means that there is a higher chance for someone to cheat, and maybe you two will just be sexually incompatible by default right now. It's not wrong for people to not want to have to deal with these sorts of things so intimately, even though this fact hurts us. Everyone has to look out for themselves before everybody else.

As a victim myself, there was also another hard pill I had to swallow when it came to this. When I was being abused, the details of my abuse were spread among others so I had a similar reputation to the one you think your crush has of you. I really was "easy" and was kind of being passed around because I was trying to find ways to deal with the trauma. Sexual attention felt like a necessity at that time. The bitter truth is that some men will really inevitably avoid us for being "used" and "broken." They have a certain kind of psychology that I personally have found comfort in not having to understand, all we have to know is that there is a methodology behind those thoughts when they have them. Their negative views on you do not have to matter, men are not a monolith just like women aren't and they make exceptions all the time. If they refuse to date you because of this, then really, that rejection is your protection as well as it could be their own. But it is something that we will have to deal with, as we will always have our pasts in tow with us, and not everyone will be so understanding. It has to come to a point where these things do not bother you too much, if you ever want to have a chance with living with it and healing from it. The only thing that really matters is how we feel and what we know about ourselves, and how we heal these wounds by our own hands. When it comes to other people, not everyone will be so judgmental to call us "used" for being abused, and those are the people we should also care about and focus on.

But I really don't think that this person thinks that negatively of you, since they are a friend of yours. I think that may be your trauma trying to fill in the blanks to make his rejection make sense. But the truth is that it doesn't matter why. If he doesn't want to be in a relationship with you, that is the bottom line. Sometimes we are just not compatible with people and that does not have to be a negative thing.
(Offtopic: I've noticed how no one comments in the "Recovery" section posts... but "Suicide discussion" has a lot of attention. However, I get it, it's a pro-suicide website lol).
Today I learned that this is actually the depressing side of the forum, haha. But I do get it, most people here reject recovery and don't like positivity, so it's natural that this will be the slower side. Regardless, I hope you can find some insight for this specific issue. I don't think you're obsessed, maybe just lovesick and bleeding from an open wound. Cut off this friendship if it hurts you. But it is a good thing that this has made you realize some things.
It's like I don't love myself anymore after what happened to me, so I craved his love and attention so bad... I feel like he is a "good guy" and if he falls for me that means that I'm a "good girl" too and not a "sl*t".
First of all, now you know that you don't love yourself. Maybe it's not an "obsession," but the love here is still misguided. You developed feelings for someone because their acceptance would have communicated something about you. But why do you believe these things?

Why does it take a "good guy" to validate you? Why can't you just be whole and "good" as you are? What is it that makes you feel like a slut? What do you think will make you be "good" and what steps can you take towards that? You're attracted to men, so their opinion has to be a bit important to you, but do you really want to center your sense of self-worth around their collective acceptance and desire of you?

I feel for you, because sexual abuse is hard to heal from and so difficult to deal with. It makes us internalize the most horrible and untruthful things ever. But I think from this experience, you have a lot of things to ask yourself, and you really should evaluate some things going forward— if there is a future for you, that is. I wish you luck and I'm sending you hugs. 🫂

• Love
Reactions: Lonelyhotcake
Lonelyhotcake

Lonelyhotcake

(I speak spanish).
Mar 16, 2023
Thanks to everyone for replying. I've been thinking about what I wrote and what y'all said... and:

1) I used the word "obssesion" because I didn't knew how to explain it, but I've made a research and what I feel is "emotional dependence".

2) I see him as a "good guy" because he is, but also because he reminds me my old self: hopeless romantic, inoccent, nayve, shy... and my ex stoled those things from me and I miss me. All I wanted was this good guy to love me = me loving myself again.

3) I understand his feeling about not wanting a relationship at all or even with me... but A) he sent me mixed signals so I was fucking confused and B) yes, it was just this: "your trauma trying to fill in the blanks to make his rejection make sense".

However, I don't know what i'm going to do with him, but I'm going to keep working on myself.

Hugs ❤️

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: UsagiDrop, Life_and_Death and HereTomorrow
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Am nt a therpst & wld b wrth speakng t/ professnl bt cld b smethng calld 'Limrnce'

Limrnce = nme fr obsessns projctd on2 othr ppl as an emotnl escpe whn u r carryng grif withn urslf

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Lonelyhotcake, Why am i still here, Valky and 1 other person
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
I agree with the stuff others said, just please remember that you are still processing that trauma so don't blame yourself for the way you feel. Sure, it may be unfair to any possible partner but the pain is not your fault.

• Love
Reactions: Lonelyhotcake